Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
markiemark90
Very Serious Dibber

markiemark90's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thanks for the info about having to pay at a machine to get int the airport. I have never heard anything so riduculous?

Can I ask is this a special lounge like the Aspire in Newcastle or it just so you can actually get in to check your bags and wait for plane?

I will look on website this evening.

I think unless Easyjet or Jet2 (or similar) use Teesside it may inevitably close. We have all seen the viscious circle of fewer flights = less passengers = fewer flights = less passengers. I regularly fly to Bristol from Newcastle as its about 1/3 price of the train and avoids 5 hour drive, but would love to go from Teesside. I reckon Easyjet would fill flights to the likes of Gatwick, Dublin, Palma, etc from Teesside.

I will let you know on this thread how it all went when we get back.
Old 9 Oct 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
We usually head to Manchester on the early morning of our flight. So an 11.35am flight means up and out of the door at 4.30am.

But we're not normal, we work for ourselves so being able to work till sunday night means we dont pay staff for that time and maximise staff hours whilst away.

Parking for 2 weeks is around £65, then there is fuel and thats our only costs. Apart from our own time i guess.

I can see why people would be happier paying maybe a few hundred £ more a person when it saves them about £60 a person in other costs and travel time (and hassle of not driving 2.5 hours home after a flight) to have the ease of being close to the airport so maximising travel time, hotel costs not being there etc.

But do people not lose hours going indirect rather than direct?

Its all about finding a happy medium and whats suitable for each individual.
Old 9 Oct 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hiya PCLI... depending on where you live, have you considered the straight through train from [Ncl] Durham (or the Boro) to Mia (Man Airport)? Obviously it may depend how many bairns are in tow and if you take the kitchen sink We travel light, one cabin sized case and a backpack each, exiting at Heald Green (one stop afore Mia) which involves one change at MCO (Man Oxford St off/on same platform, number 4) to overnight in the PI (150 yard walk from HG station). We find it far better than driving
We are travelling TPE on Monday for our flight on Tuesday. We did it in 2016 and it worked pretty well. Direct Yarm-MIA then a quick stop onto Heald Green PI. We’ve booked 1st class as we’ve got a few cases so hoping less people = less hassle with space?! (Well that’s the hope)

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lumpy
slightly serious Dibber

The £6 is just to get into the departure lounge, proper lounge is extra. I have only done the orlando KLM route once even though we only live 10 mins from the airport. It was not a great success. Fog outbound meant we had a 9 hour layover in Schipol before embarking on Martin air flight and arriving at MCO around midnight. OK fog can happen any where but on return flight delay meant we missed our connecting Teeside flight and had another 10 hour layover in Schipol.
When I have had issues at Manchester delays have only ended up being 4-5 hours max as there is a much bigger choice of routes/flights to end up in Manchester whereas Teeside it's the KLM flights or nothing.
Lumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyPCLI View Post
Hi Chris

We’d get the Boro train - when we have a trip to York and go on the train I get jelous with people going on hols Lol 😉

The main reason we have never got the train is that when we get off the plane at least we are straight in the car and on our way - i don’t want to be hanging round waiting for a train all jet lagged and grumpy
We’ve stayed at heald green before as well but this year we’re at runger
This made me smile as we find the drive back awful, makes us sickly - we opt for the train circa 45 mins to an hour from hitting tarmac (hand luggage only), usually works very well and we're in Durham sooner than driving - if, as has happened twice, our VA flight is delayed the station ticket desk countersign our tickets (TPE 3 hour Easement) and we're on the next train free of charge.

Heald Green PI, at 150 yards from the station, is canny, staying in Nov. The taxi fare had to increase to those who pay the £3 drop off charge Man Airport introduced, with tip we call it a straight tenner from PI to terminal.

Originally Posted by markiemark90 View Post
Thanks for the info about having to pay at a machine to get int the airport. I have never heard anything so riduculous?

Can I ask is this a special lounge like the Aspire in Newcastle or it just so you can actually get in to check your bags and wait for plane? I will look on website this evening.

I think unless Easyjet or Jet2 (or similar) use Teesside it may inevitably close. We have all seen the viscious circle of fewer flights = less passengers = fewer flights = less passengers. I regularly fly to Bristol from Newcastle as its about 1/3 price of the train and avoids 5 hour drive, but would love to go from Teesside. I reckon Easyjet would fill flights to the likes of Gatwick, Dublin, Palma, etc from Teesside.

I will let you know on this thread how it all went when we get back.
Hi Mark - no, it's a compulsory entrance fee to access the departure lounge/gates - no special lounge at Teeside. Teeside introduced the passenger facility fee (see HERE) in an attempt to raise income.

Unfortunately I concur and whilst the airport has had the odd reprieve I can't see it encouraging more airlines as logistics may show airlines it's non-viable, no airlines = bills can't be paid. Shame as it's a canny airport.

Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
Parking for 2 weeks is around £65, then there is fuel and thats our only costs. Apart from our own time i guess.

I can see why people would be happier paying maybe a few hundred £ more a person when it saves them about £60 a person in other costs and travel time (and hassle of not driving 2.5 hours home after a flight) to have the ease of being close to the airport so maximising travel time, hotel costs not being there etc.

But do people not lose hours going indirect rather than direct?

Its all about finding a happy medium and whats suitable for each individual.
Hiya Powlay - as our destination is Pine Island flying indirect (via Atl) to Fort Myers airport is quicker for us. We usually fly Man to MCO and have our first/last night with friends in Orlando afore driving to/from Bokeelia, as MCO's hit and miss with building works et al., last winter we reverted to a, far smoother than expected, in-direct. We depart Man at 10.40am and arrive in Fort Myers circa 7.15pm.

We take the train the day afore we fly, the first train from Dhm is 5.49am which involves 3 changes and arrives at 8.27am, not a chance, if there's a train issue, we could miss our flight. PI is usually £29.50 to £31, for a Sunday night, paid £48 for a Fri in Nov.

I transfer Tesco for Red Spotted Hanky (3X on train tickets), this winter, all in, £90 for trains, PI and taxi from Heald Green to terminal. Unfortunately Tesco's association with RSH ends January end, any transferred e-vouchers can be used up to April time I believe.

Originally Posted by Kat11 View Post
We are travelling TPE on Monday for our flight on Tuesday. We did it in 2016 and it worked pretty well. Direct Yarm-MIA then a quick stop onto Heald Green PI. We’ve booked 1st class as we’ve got a few cases so hoping less people = less hassle with space?! (Well that’s the hope)

Kat
Yes Kat, First will be quieter, there's a luggage rack just inside the First carriage... I'm assuming you'll be on their 185 Class, which, BTW, has been totally refurbed and now offers free wifi onboard to all pax Video of refurb

Hopefully Network Rail get their ducks lined up soon as fares are abysmal since their monumental timetable/route change cock up in May. As we had £25.50 of 'sorry' vouchers from TPE and £8.50 of 'use or lose' Tesco points (£25.50 on Red Spotted) I bit the bullet two weeks ago, tickets were £25.60pp vs the usual £16.50pp. Now those same tickets are £60pp, NR, you're having a laugh!
Old 9 Oct 18, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs sun
Imagineer

We done yarm to man airport this year and was great! Will defo be doing it again ! Much better than that awful drive home! Book early you can usually bag a good fare.
Mrs sun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs sun View Post
We done yarm to man airport this year and was great! Will defo be doing it again ! Much better than that awful drive home! Book early you can usually bag a good fare.
Hiya MrsS... advance fares usually released circa 12 weeks (or earlier) pre-train, but this year I haven't seen any advance fares and not sure if we will as long as Network Rail are so messed up. Hope TPE retain their 3 hour easement, very handy if ones flight is delayed
Old 9 Oct 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

I'm near York and flying from Manchester - avoid flying through Schiphol simply because if you're stuck it's another country rather than say stuck in LHR and still being able to get home. Mostly drive to the airport but have done trains to MAN before -fine on the way out, not so much when you're heading home if you miss a train.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPCLI
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Chris, just out of interest how does this easement thing work?
Eg I’d booked the train for my son to come home but he was there for the hour earlier train - when he asked about getting on that train he was told he’d have to pay again so he waited the hour for the correct train
Is that because he wanted to get an earlier rather than a later train?
Old 9 Oct 18, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyPCLI View Post
Chris, just out of interest how does this easement thing work?
Eg I’d booked the train for my son to come home but he was there for the hour earlier train - when he asked about getting on that train he was told he’d have to pay again so he waited the hour for the correct train
Is that because he wanted to get an earlier rather than a later train?
Yes, it only works for 3 hours after your chosen train not earlier ones. This happened to us as we got out early but had to wait for our booked train. So it’s worth imo, booking a train at say 1 hour after arrival rather than 2 hours if you get my drift, so there’s less chance of hanging around.

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List