Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Aug 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

D23 News

It was the D23 convention this weekend, so I thought I would start a thread to post all of the news that has come out of it.

I've been on google and have had a look but I can see nothing as of yet. Please do add to it if you find something!
Old 19 Aug 19, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

...so apparently it's next weekend? My bad
Old 19 Aug 19, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by CAD View Post
Isn't it this weekend coming?

I'd hope for an update into some of the new attractions and I'd like to know what this secret all company presentation is as well.

In a seperate (but related note) I'd love a big announcement in answer to Universal's new park but I doubt that will happen.
It certainly is - I just realised after I posted

Agree regarding a fifth gate - with the expanding of onsite hotels, crowds are just getting worse. A new theme park is needed.
Old 19 Aug 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
pdcdad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m hoping that they give more info on the 50th celebrations dates from and too
pdcdad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

50th birthday celeb info would be good but the secret announcement has got to be the thing. As somebody said on the other thread it's got something epic from universal to compete against, plus there are rumours that GE in DL isn't getting the traffic hoped. So pump it up somehow. Would have thought Stu / Simon would be reporting back with info hopefully.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by CAD View Post
From a fan point of view I'd agree. I'm not sure Disney see it a worthwhile investment, especially when they still need to make improvements to EPCOT and Studios and even more unlikely when you consider how much has been spent on Star Wars

I could see a boutique style park (similar to crowed levels at Discovery Cove) but even then it's doubtful.

What is needed is proper new attractions with full theming in the existing parks first.

Plus the company seem hell bent on dominating the streaming market at the moment it seems.
I agree.

I don't see a fifth gate coming soon and, as I've said a few times, it wouldn't help with crowds anyway. The only way Disney would agree to add a fifth gate is if attendance at WDW increased by an equivalent amount as well. There needs to be a business case to justify spending billions on a new park and I'd expect "because it will attract millions of additional paying customers" to be one of those justifications, if not the main justification.

Three of their current parks don't have enough rides as it is. Even by next year once Galaxy's Edge is fully open and Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway is running, HS will still only have 9 rides in total, the same as AK. They really need to add more rides.

What's interesting this time is that I haven't seen a huge number of strong rumours doing the rounds regarding what Disney will be adding in the parks in the future. At the last D23 Expo there were lots of specific rumours - many of which came true - whereas it all seems a bit vague this time.

I'm hoping that Time Racers at Spaceship Earth actually happens.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
akhurstf1
VIP Dibber

I'm really intrigued by what Disney has planned to announce this weekend. All the rumours have been pointing to a 5th park to go against Universal. I think this would be good and would help with crowd levels especially as new hotels are being built.

If the 5th park turns out to be nothing more than a rumour, I would expect it to be 50 things that Disney will do to celebrate the 50th anniversary. Only a few days to go.
Old 20 Aug 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I'm hoping that Time Racers at Spaceship Earth actually happens.
What's this?
Old 20 Aug 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
What's this?
It was a rumoured rollercoaster that was apparently going to be built inside the big ball to replace Spaceship Earth. You can google it and find out more info but here's one of many links:

tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot... me-racers.html

Interestingly, one or two rumour websites use the term "Project Gemini" when referring to the changes coming to Epcot in the next few years. It does sound like Disney's plan back in the early 2000s to overhaul Future World is going to happen.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It was a rumoured rollercoaster that was apparently going to be built inside the big ball to replace Spaceship Earth. You can google it and find out more info but here's one of many links:

tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot... me-racers.html

Interestingly, one or two rumour websites use the term "Project Gemini" when referring to the changes coming to Epcot in the next few years. It does sound like Disney's plan back in the early 2000s to overhaul Future World is going to happen.
Wow, thanks - interesting read. Selfishly, I would have really been unhappy with this major change - Spaceship Earth has been my favourite ride in any Disney park around the world, (I've been to them all apart from Shanghai - at the moment!), for the last 30 years. This is probably because it was my first ever Disney ride in 1989, and is burned deep in my nostalgia psyche!

I know a lot of folk love the big, thrilling rollercoasters, and that's fine, but you also have to bear in mind the "family friendly" legend of Disney - not everything has to turn you upside down and inside out!

Seriously, thank you for the link, I missed this completely and was very interested to read the article.