Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 17 Sep 17, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Adventures in Public Transport:The Return - Day 13 - EMH at DCA & DL eve w/ Fantasmic Dining Package

This morning we got up and ready and headed to the plaza for 8.30am. DCA was hosting extra magic hours from 9am to 10am for onsite guest so we wanted to make the most of it. The queues for both parks were really long but they opened the turnstiles ahead of the 9am opening and started letting people in to some holding areas. There were quiet a few people that got turned away in our queue as they couldn’t have realised it was EMH only.

Our plan for the morning was to tackle Soarin first as this had had really long queues the day before, so as we entered we headed to the right and waiting at the rope. At 9am a cast member came along to walk everyone into the queue. We were boarded onto one of the first rides of the day but in a side position; that Eiffel Tower curve drives me mad in this new version. From here we headed to pick up a RSR fastpass. At 9.24 we got a 10.55-11.55am return. I’m not sure when they started allowing fastness distribution in EMH but it’s going to make it more difficult for non onsite guest for this park. From here we headed to Paradise Pier where we rode Toy Story Mania with a 5 minute wait, followed by California Screaming again a 5 minute wait and then headed to the Fun Wheel again with a 5 minuted wait. Whilst on the Fun Wheel we discussed that for all the times we have rode the swinging cars we have never tried the non swinging so as there was no queue we got off and reboarded the non swinging. It felt really strange being so still. We decided that we like the swinging version best.

By now it was 10.35am and as we hadn’t had breakfast yet we decided to head to Flo’s. DH & DS had an American Breakfast each $8.99 plus tax and I had the very naughty but very delicious Brioche French Toast $8.49 plus tax. We also shared a coffee and some Juice.

Fuelled up we headed to use our RSR fastpass. Another great ride and our car won this time.

With most of the things we wanted to do that morning ticked off we decided to headed back to enjoy the pool for a few hours but first we wanted to ride Grizzy River Run. When we got to there the queue was 50 minutes but they had FP’s available for 10 minutes time so we grabbed these and had a look in the nearby shop to kill time. With the slot open we headed on the ride. I had last rode this in 2002 and forgotten had much fun it was. We were paired with a lovely family and a young lad on his own that were all a good laugh so it made for a good ride.

Suitably soaked we dripped our way out of the park through the Grand Californian Exit by Grizzy and back through DTD to the hotel. We relaxed and recharged our batteries by the pool for a couple of hours, eventually heading back to the parks at 4.30pm. We caught the monorail into the Disneyland Park and headed towards frontierland as we had a reservation at River Belle Terrace. The only slight problem with this was that I had forgotten the parade was on a 4.30pm so we got stuck for a while trying to find the crossing point. Luckily our reservation wasn’t until 5.20pm so we still made it in plenty of time.

We had decided to book a Fantastic Package after seeing a few reviews and as we were travelling the first week the southern California pass holders could see the new show as they are blocked out in the summer. We checked in and they asked if we wanted the patio or inside. We decided on the patio and we were seated after a few minutes and given the special fantasmic menu. They also asked what time show we would like our tickets for; we choose the 9.00pm. Our orders we then taken and shortly after are starters arrived.

Now this is where we ran into a few problems. DH had chosen the sweetcorn chowder but they hadn’t brought out a spoon and there wasn’t one rolled in the napkins. So he asked and they apologised and went to fetch one. A few minutes later one still hadn’t arrived so we had to ask again. A spoon was brought so we carried on with our starters but then another waiter turns up with our mains…..Umm no we are not ready yet so we told him to take them back. We finished our starters and chatted for a few minutes when the waiter comes back with a mains, the only problem was the plates from the starters are still there, if we hadn’t had to previous issues we would have let this error go but DH was not impressed. We called back over the original server and explained that everything was coming out of sync and it’s ruining what should be a nice meal. She apologised and said she would make sure the rest of the meal run smoothly. It’s a shame really that this happened as the food was really very good. Sadly we all the commotion a forgot to take a picture of our mains but DH had the beef brisket roll, DS had the pulled pork sandwich and I had the ribs. Each came with there signature beans and a choice of side. I’ve taken this photo off the Disneyland website but I choose the potato salad not coleslaw as my side.

The meal went smoothly from there and plates we cleared and the waitress checked if were ready for desserts. DH & I had chosen the Fantasmic special dessert which was really nice.

Our fantastic tickets were brought with the bill. The waitress had discounted this by 20% for the mixed up so total was $116.37 plus tip.

After dining it decided it was time to spend some of my birthday money and dragged DH & DS into the Pandora shop in New Orleans Square. They didn’t need to worry about a long wait though as I already had my eye on the newer carousel charm (after all thats what started the idea of Disneyland).

As we were right by pirates and it only had a 10 minute wait we rode this next before picking up some fast passes for Indie. At 19.09pm we got a return time of 9.30 -10.30pm. We then walked through the castle and into Fantasyland where we rode Mr Toad and Snow White, nicknamed She’s Dead, Get Out from last years trip due to the sudden ending.

By now it was coming up 8pm so we decided grab some drinks and find our way to the correct entry point for Fantasmic. We knew it was near the Haunted Manson somewhere so headed in that direction. Once we got there it was all very organised with different queues for different dining packages. Around 8.20pm wish we were walked down to our zone where we could choose a space. We were also told that everyone needed to stay seated during the show which was fine by us. We decided to on the middle, a couple row backs as there railing right at the front.

The view was great and we loved the show. I only have WDW’s to compare it with as I’ve always missed the show on previous DL visits but I really liked this version. They way they dress up the columbia is amazing and we liked the dragon.

Once the show had finished we headed to Indie to use our fastpast. It seemed like lots of other people had had the same idea as the fastest queue was longer than normal but we love this ride so it didn't matter too much. From here we headed to the Matterhorn as DS wanted to try this at night. The wait time was listed as 60 mins but there were fast passes available so at 10.14pm we got a return time for 10.25 - 11.00pm. DH & DS rode the teacups while we waited for the slot to open. Then at 10.25pm we headed into the line. This seemed so much faster at night but still just as bumpy. By now it was around 10.40pm and with the park closing at 11pm we headed out of the park, using the monorail to save our aching feet. We grabbed a quick starbucks from the one opposite the DTD station and headed to bed after an fun filled day.

Edited at 03:25 PM.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a busy day! You got lucky with the fastpasses! Shame that your meal was messed around a bit - I guess the saving grace was that at least it was good!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 17, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a busy day! You got lucky with the fastpasses! Shame that your meal was messed around a bit - I guess the saving grace was that at least it was good!
Yes it was a shame about the mix up at the meal because it was really good food and I wouldn't rule out going back as hopefully it's just a bit of a one off.

I do wonder sometimes if all the people stood it the hour long queues realised they can get a fast past I suppose maybe they are just holding ones for other things.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 17, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree about the Eiffel tower bend... drives me nuts!
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

You managed to get a lot done on this day! I wonder whether there are often available FPs, but people don't realise so just jump into the queues? We've only had one experience of FPs at DLP, but I'm sure we will cope.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 18, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Animagus View Post
You managed to get a lot done on this day! I wonder whether there are often available FPs, but people don't realise so just jump into the queues? We've only had one experience of FPs at DLP, but I'm sure we will cope.
I know it's strange that more people don't seem to use them or maybe they don't understand how they work. Oh well more for us to use
Old 5 Apr 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
summersun
Imagineer

summersun's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
a great day x
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...=gonna+get+wed
our dreams can come true pre trip report nov 14 cbbr nov 14
summersun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List