Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Feb 18, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
If flying with Virgin we always take the VS15 which leaves LGW at 1300hrs.
That tends to be the last VA flight of the day from the UK and as a rule of thumb leads to a quick Immigration process.

But! Any delays to their other flights, or the BA flights etc and everything goes out the window.
That's the one I booked for my trip in September - it was the only Virgin one showing for that date when I booked it (direct with Virgin). However it's now been changed and I'm on the VS 27 - 11.35. I've just done a dummy booking and only the VS 27 is showing.

I'm not bothered about the time it takes to get through Immigration though. With this being my first visit since 1997 being at MCO will be part of the excitement for me, however long I'm there! I'm staying at POFQ and am getting the Magical Express so won't have to worry about getting a car (can't drive).

Edited at 01:44 PM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
That's the one I booked for my trip in September - it was the only Virgin one showing for that date when I booked it (direct with Virgin). However it's now been changed and I'm on the VS 27 - 11.35. I've just done a dummy booking and only the VS 27 is showing.

I'm not bothered about the time it takes to get through Immigration though. With this being my first visit since 1997 being at MCO will be part of the excitement for me, however long I'm there! I'm staying at POFQ and am getting the Magical Express so won't have to worry about getting a car (can't drive).
Andy. I think you fly on the 12th or 13th?
We fly back on the 15th and we have had a flight time/aircraft change as well.
The week in question is always prone to 2 aircraft being compacted down to 1.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
grillkungen
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Oh well I had better go back to my maths books and read up on statistics and probability.

I UNDERSTAND there is no way to guarantee anything due to the unexpected and delays etc...but if, for example, you have two ways to drive to work and one of the routes on a good day takes you 20 minutes, but can take up to 50 minutes on average a couple of days a week, but there is not way of knowing which day or how often... but there is another way which takes you 30 minutes but once a week on average takes 35 minutes, which would you choose?

I am talking about averages and probability not certainty.

I obviously cannot express myself well enough. I'll get my coat (as on average it tends to rain in February and there is an 70% probability of rain today according to the forecast.)

Thank you to the people who tend to say that they have had better luck on the earlier and later flights in the day.
Maybe this site awt.cbp.gov/ can help you?
grillkungen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Andy. I think you fly on the 12th or 13th?
We fly back on the 15th and we have had a flight time/aircraft change as well.
The week in question is always prone to 2 aircraft being compacted down to 1.
Yes I'm flying on the 13th. I'm flying back on the 27th and that flight has changed too - it was originally 19.55 (VS 16) but is now 17.45 (VS 28). Again only the VS 16 was showing when I booked it and now only the VS 28 is showing. I booked seat 19D (PE) for both flights and thankfully I've still got it on the changed flights

Edited at 06:59 PM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Yes I'm flying on the 13th. I'm flying back on the 27th and that flight has changed too - it was originally 19.55 (VS 16) but is now 17.45 (VS 28). Again only the VS 16 was showing when I booked it and now only the VS 28 is showing. I booked seat 19D (PE) for both flights and thankfully I've still got it on the changed flights
We learn't the hard way that the best bet for going out is the VS15. They rarely change that one plus you can have a lie in!

But we like the VS28 to come back and 50% of the time we get chopped from that as they compact the flights. Hey ho as long as they get me there and back.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

We learn't the hard way that the best bet for going out is the VS15. They rarely change that one plus you can have a lie in!

But we like the VS28 to come back and 50% of the time we get chopped from that as they compact the flights. Hey ho as long as they get me there and back.
I booked VS 15 and that has now been changed to VS 27! There's always one and it's usually me ... So basically they got rid of both my flights (VS 15 and VS 16) and put me on two others (VS 27 and VS 28) - neither of which were available to book when I booked VS 15 and VS 16 in late December, and now VS 15 and VS 16 aren't available to book . My head hurts!

Edited at 07:48 PM.
Old 10 Feb 18, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post

We had an occasion where our BA flight was delayed because the Virgin plane in front had spilled aviation fuel on the main runway at Gatwick. We arrived to a very quiet MCO. One thing I do recall is we hit Bay Lake Tower around 9p.m. The fireworks were going off but we couldn't hear any music as we unloaded our cases in the car park to go to check in. Once in our room , we headed straight to bed as we were shattered. The next minute the Electrical Water Pageant went past with its blaring trumpet music. I wanted to leap out of bed, go on to the balcony and yell "Shut up!"
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

If all things equal the TC flight from Stansted should be first after thst LGW flights Virgin TC BA and Manchester TC and Virgin are to close to call.
Then Glasgow or Belfast Virgin then Virgin and BA from LGW their second flights.Virgin and TC second flights from Manchester.
Add into these all other international flights that arrive at MCO as well.
If flying to Sanford or Tampa a far easier call to make.
MCO
So many within 2 hours more than the scheduled wheels down time is all I can give.
No Historic best flight for no delays.
If immigration waits are a real concern pick directs to Sanford or Tampa longer journey from airports but usually equal in wheels down to accommodation.
Enjoy

Edited at 08:41 PM.
duncanb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Oh well I had better go back to my maths books and read up on statistics and probability.

I UNDERSTAND there is no way to guarantee anything due to the unexpected and delays etc...but if, for example, you have two ways to drive to work and one of the routes on a good day takes you 20 minutes, but can take up to 50 minutes on average a couple of days a week, but there is not way of knowing which day or how often... but there is another way which takes you 30 minutes but once a week on average takes 35 minutes, which would you choose?

I am talking about averages and probability not certainty.

I obviously cannot express myself well enough. I'll get my coat (as on average it tends to rain in February and there is an 70% probability of rain today according to the forecast.)

Thank you to the people who tend to say that they have had better luck on the earlier and later flights in the day.
Im one of the ones you're not thanking. I based my answer in over twenty years of flying into MCO sometimes two to three times a year with various carriers at various arrival times, and I've never seen a pattern emerge as to best time to arrive. Sometimes the hall is empty, next time similar arrival time and waiting 2 to 3 hours.
Would you pay say £200 to £300 more for a flight that may or may not save you an hour at immigration? I honestly can't see arrival time being the basis of booking a flight, on results of my personal experience.
By the way that 70% chance of rain in Orlando means there may be a 70 % chance of rain at some point through the day at some place in the Orlando area. I hope you find it to get good use of your coat
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List