Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Sep 17, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Adventures in Public Transport:The Return - Day Four LA to San Diego via Amtrak.

Manage to sleep really well finally and woke around 6.30am. Breakfast was included with the lounge access so after after taking our time getting ready we headed up there around 7.30am. There was a big selection of things included with lots of hot items despite being listed as a continental breakfast on the website. We left very full.

Today we were off to San Diego but as our train did leave until lunchtime we left our bags in our room went to have a bit of a wander around downtown. It’s been under going a bit of a regeneration and there’s some lovely buildings about mixed in with the new hotels. We really could have made a bit more of our time in LA but it was the place I was least excited about and I think I underplanned a bit really.

At 11am we went back to check out from the hotel and ordered an Uber XL to take us the short journey to Union Station (Cost $10.94). Union Station was beautiful. It was like stepping back in time. Quite a few movies have been filmed here and I can see why.

We walked through and found our way to bag check in as it was available on our train. That all sorted we wandered around for bit more of a look around the station before grabbing a starbucks and sitting in the beautiful old waiting area. There was also a piano there that anyone could use. Some really great players had a go which added to the atmosphere. I don’t think my rendition of chopsticks would have cut it.

Our train was due to leave at 12.30 so a little ahead of this we headed towards the platform as we weren’t sure how far the walk was. It turned out to be easy to find despite the station being so large. Everything was really well signposted and there were plenty of staff about.

We boarded the Pacific Surfliner Train on time at 12.33pm and found some seats and settled in for the journey. We made sure they were on the right hand side to get the ocean view once we hit the coast. There was free wifi onboard and charging points so DS was happy.

The first hour of the journey is inland. It was fun to spot Disneyland as we went through Anaheim. Next you come out onto the coast and Wow the view is amazing. We could believe how right on the coast you were. We loved our amtrak journey last year from San Francisco but this view was outstanding.

We arrived into San Deigo at 3.25pm and went to collect our bags that we had checked in. We then grabbed another Uber to take a short journey to our hotel for the next 6 nights; The Hilton Bayfront. The journey to the hotel was really nice, San Diego looked like our kind of city and we could wait to explore. Check in was quick. We’re Hilton Honours members so i’d managed to check in the day before and picked a room out. It turned out i’d made a good choice as the view was incredible! We were on the 27th Floor overlooking the bay and downtown. Over our time here we never got bored of this ever changing view.

I’d been doing a daily check on San Deigo hotels since November last year. We’d changed reservations a few times as different deals came up and with some advice from Aims and Uncle Latch. I’m so glad we managed to a get a deal for here in the end. The rooms are a tiny bit outdated but spotlessly clean and really spacious. We loved that we were close enough to Gaslamp for convenience but just far enough away for it to be quiet.

As we were here for the next 6 next we took the time to unpack properly and get ourselves settled. We then headed out toward the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. The walk along the waterfront was lovely. We had to laugh when we spotted these yachts. When having a private yacht just isn't enough why not have one with its own helicopter!

It was around a 15 minute walk up to the cheesecake factory. We were seated after a few minutes wait. It’s a few years since i’ve been to cheesecake factory and i’d forgotten how big the meals were. Although we had skipped lunch I still only made it half way through my orange chicken and didn't have space for cheesecake.

After are delicious meal we waddled back to the hotel. This time taking the other path alongside the convention centre. Are hotel was just across from Petco park so it was fun to here the game going on there. We crashed into bed around 10pm happy with are first afternoon in San Deigo.

Edited at 10:22 AM.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a fabulous train station - so old fashioned (in a good way! )

And the views - you could never bore of those!

Looking forward to hearing what you get upto in San Diego!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Lovely train journey! CF food - can't beat it!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 17, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
What a fabulous day, despite spending a good part of it travelling.

I have never seen pictures of Union Station - the waiting room looks so different.

Such amazing views from the train and your hotel room. I'm just a little bit gutted that we couldn't squeeze San Diego into our itinerary. Never mind, we can spend a few days there next time.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 17, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
What a fabulous day, despite spending a good part of it travelling.

I have never seen pictures of Union Station - the waiting room looks so different.

Such amazing views from the train and your hotel room. I'm just a little bit gutted that we couldn't squeeze San Diego into our itinerary. Never mind, we can spend a few days there next time.
This is the 5th time my husband and I have been to the west cost and the first time doing San Diego. We couldn't understand why we hadn't done it before and will definitely be doing a return visit. Great City, definitely try and fit it in when you go next if you can.
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 17, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

The station is beautiful! The views from the train and your room are too!

I really fancy visiting San Diego one day. I know you've done train trips before but are they are easy and safe with kids as you make them seem?
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
The station is beautiful! The views from the train and your room are too!

I really fancy visiting San Diego one day. I know you've done train trips before but are they are easy and safe with kids as you make them seem?
Defiantly try to visit San Diego one day. Just a fantastic city with so much to do. We find Amtrak very easy to do. They give you plenty of time to board and everything is well signed and its usually easy to find a member of staff to ask questions if you need to. We do travel by train to London often and have done the Eurostar to Paris and Disneyland Paris a few times so not any different really (accept Amtrak are bigger trains). I would say make sure your case aren't too big and have them on wheels to make things easier. We made sure we didn't have to carry more than our three medium size cases and 3 rucksacks to make things easier. It's certainly easier not DS is older and can help carry things.
Old 28 Nov 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

really enjoyed this post - we are doing the journey the other way round, starting in San Diego!
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
really enjoyed this post - we are doing the journey the other way round, starting in San Diego!
Thank-you. Try and get seats on the left hand side when you board if you can as the views are fantastic.
Old 30 Nov 17, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

Union station looks beautiful
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List