Old 31 Dec 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No Disney?! A winter getaway to Washington DC and Delaware! Day 3

12th Dec

Yet again this morning we had breakfast at the hotel, I had pancakes today and Rob had another omelette, this resulted in a cost including tip of $16.

We decided to visit Arlington Cemetery today and so set off walking. It took us around an hour to walk the distance, it was fairly chilly again today!

I think we spent a couple of hours here, it was a slightly odd experience as some people were taking selfies and posing for pictures which didn’t feel appropriate (to us). What struck both of us were the number of graves – I think it said there were over 400,000!

Once we left we decided to visit the Lyndon Johnson memorial which was apparently a distance of 1.25 miles from the exit of the cemetery – well it certainly felt longer! The wind had picked up and so it wasn’t the most pleasant of walks.

We arrived at the Navy and Marine memorial but struggled to find the Lyndon Johnson one – we did eventually but I must admit that I wasn’t impressed!

We had hoped to find a café or something but there wasn’t one so we carried on around and eventually got a drink when we got near to the Jefferson monument after walking across the windiest bridge!

After our incredibly long walk back from Arlington we decided we needed to rest at the hotel before having an early dinner at Old Ebbitt Grill around 1800.

We had a good meal but both agreed that we had preferred The Hamilton overall. We decided to have yet another early night as we were tired!

(30,463 steps, 12.87 miles)

Edited at 02:57 PM.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
short2005
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Really enjoying your trip report ,I really cannot work out how some people behave in memorials ! We went to see Lincolns tomb in Illinois last year and there was a family letting their children run wild when there were signs clearly saying please be respectful .
Looking forward to reading the rest.
Enclave Suites 2005, Terra Verde 2007,Watersong 2008, Calabay Parc tower lakes 2009, New York and Sandy Ridge 2010, Highgrove 2012, New York and Windward Cay 2013 California and Las Vegas Road Trip 2014,Tuscan Hills Feb 2016 Calabay Park Tower Lakes Sept 2016 Route 66 Sept 2017 Southern Road trip Sept 2019
short2005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by short2005 View Post
Really enjoying your trip report ,I really cannot work out how some people behave in memorials ! We went to see Lincolns tomb in Illinois last year and there was a family letting their children run wild when there were signs clearly saying please be respectful .
Looking forward to reading the rest.
Glad someone is reading And I don’t remember the signs at the memorials when we went to DC the first time...

We did both find Arlington to be a slightly odd experience though.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Wow, some people really don't think, completely inappropriate behaviour. Some lovely photos again but sad at the same time.
Old 17 Feb 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
Wow, some people really don't think, completely inappropriate behaviour. Some lovely photos again but sad at the same time.
I know, it is a real shame. Definitely had mixed feelings about Arlington.
Old 20 Mar 18, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Jannyjan
Proud to wear my Ears

You certainly managed to fit a lot into a few days. always seems to be such a lot of walking. We did it in the summer and it was very hard work!
Jannyjan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 18, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jannyjan View Post
You certainly managed to fit a lot into a few days. always seems to be such a lot of walking. We did it in the summer and it was very hard work!
I think it helped that we had been before
Old 15 Aug 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Lots to see today. Such a shame that the notices have to even be there...
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
Lots to see today. Such a shame that the notices have to even be there...
I know - I don't remember them being there on our first trip.