Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 1 Jan 18, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Kennedy space centre advice

Hi were going to Orlando at Easter this year and plan to visit the space centre, we have a few questions that will help us with our trip.

We're staying on international drive and wonder what the best way is to get to the space centre.

Has anyone had the " lunch/dinner with an astronaut " or
" Fly with an astronaut " experience, if so would you say its worth the extra money?

Any other help, advice, hints or tips would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
nsal0101
Excited about Disney

All I can add is when I stayed on international drive I noticed a coach service advertised which stops at multiple hotels. I never used it as I drove but hopefully someone else can add to this
* Rosen Inn@pointe May 2018...
Just hope they are not the last
nsal0101 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by nsal0101 View Post
All I can add is when I stayed on international drive I noticed a coach service advertised which stops at multiple hotels. I never used it as I drove but hopefully someone else can add to this
Oooh thats interesting, if anyone does have more info on this i would be really greatful. Thanks for your reply x
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane71
Very Serious Dibber

We've been twice and only ever got the basic ticket. First time we didnt see everything we were there from it opened until closing.I'd say if it's your first visit then the basic would be enough. I think if you did an experience you wouldn't see much else. I booked with Attraction Tickets Direct who used Florida Dolphin Tours. They did quite a few pick ups. I know they did one at the Rosen near the big McDonalds and also outside senior frogs - that's the only 2 i remember. It's a fantastic day out and I'm not really into space but thoroughly enjoyed it both times.
Jane71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jane71 View Post
We've been twice and only ever got the basic ticket. First time we didnt see everything we were there from it opened until closing.I'd say if it's your first visit then the basic would be enough. I think if you did an experience you wouldn't see much else. I booked with Attraction Tickets Direct who used Florida Dolphin Tours. They did quite a few pick ups. I know they did one at the Rosen near the big McDonalds and also outside senior frogs - that's the only 2 i remember. It's a fantastic day out and I'm not really into space but thoroughly enjoyed it both times.
Oh cool, well I have been once before many years ago but hubby and kids have never been. We're staying at Rosen inn at pointe not sure if that's the one youre reffering to but hope so!

Hubby has said he defiantly wants to do an experience as its somewhere we will never visit again and the whole family are interested in space.

The date were planning on going Al Worsen will be there to host the experience.
Which do you think was the best value for money would you personally say?
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Andycm81
Apprentice Imagineer

Andycm81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I'd expect any coaches to there to take ages, if you plan on driving, then do that, it doesn't take too long and is a pretty easy drive.

Also, as Jane71 says, on your first visit, the basic ticket will be more than enough. Lots of amazing stuff to see.

Something else to note, it can be VERY windy at Kennedy being so close to the sea, so take a jacket!
Andycm81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Andycm81 View Post
I'd expect any coaches to there to take ages, if you plan on driving, then do that, it doesn't take too long and is a pretty easy drive.

Also, as Jane71 says, on your first visit, the basic ticket will be more than enough. Lots of amazing stuff to see.

Something else to note, it can be VERY windy at Kennedy being so close to the sea, so take a jacket!
Ah right good call on the jacket I would never have though of that! We didn't plan on driving however maybe it might be an idea, just worried about getting lost! We have driven a left hand drive before but never any distance where we could get lost! Do you think it really is an easy place to drive to from international drive?
Old 2 Jan 18, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Andycm81
Apprentice Imagineer

Andycm81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by maisiecupcake View Post
Ah right good call on the jacket I would never have though of that! We didn't plan on driving however maybe it might be an idea, just worried about getting lost! We have driven a left hand drive before but never any distance where we could get lost! Do you think it really is an easy place to drive to from international drive?
If you are going to drive at all, you'll need to have ideally a sat nav, or if not a GPS map app (google maps offline works great, and I know there are plenty of others you could use). The idea of driving in Florida if you haven't before can be pretty daunting, my first time I was very nervous, but there was really no need to be, if you drive at home, you can drive in Florida, in fact I actually find it easier in the U.S. and you very quickly get used to being on the wrong side of the road etc.

What I would perhaps recommend though is not driving for the entire trip. In 2013 we went for 14 nights, but only had a car for 10 days. Picked up on International Drive on the first full day, so the hassle of the airport run wasn't causing me any anxiety and then I could just enjoy it!

And back on to the specifics of the drive to Kennedy, it really is pretty straight forward from i-drive, actually a pretty pleasant drive!
Andycm81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Andycm81 View Post
If you are going to drive at all, you'll need to have ideally a sat nav, or if not a GPS map app (google maps offline works great, and I know there are plenty of others you could use). The idea of driving in Florida if you haven't before can be pretty daunting, my first time I was very nervous, but there was really no need to be, if you drive at home, you can drive in Florida, in fact I actually find it easier in the U.S. and you very quickly get used to being on the wrong side of the road etc.

What I would perhaps recommend though is not driving for the entire trip. In 2013 we went for 14 nights, but only had a car for 10 days. Picked up on International Drive on the first full day, so the hassle of the airport run wasn't causing me any anxiety and then I could just enjoy it!

And back on to the specifics of the drive to Kennedy, it really is pretty straight forward from i-drive, actually a pretty pleasant drive!
I think we will look into car hire for a couple of days with a Sat nav!

You have given me some confidence to drive with your positive views on it.

Which car hire firm do you recommend?
Old 2 Jan 18, 02:12 AM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, for me KSC is a 'must' - I've been half a dozen times. Get there at opening time as there is plenty to do. The two main attractions are the shuttle (at the main visitor center) plus all the moon related stuff which are at the Saturn/Apollo Center 7 miles away - which is why you need the free Tour to get there.

For a first visit I would focus on the free stuff. The free Astronaut Encounter is like Lunch with The Astronaut, but without the lunch - a talk, answering kid's questions, photo op. Then do the tour to the Saturn/Apollo Center - you can have lunch at the self-service cafe there under the Saturn rocket near the moon rock. Then go back on the bus to the main visitor center and do the shuttle. The astronaut is usually upstairs in the shop in the afternoon for autographs. Lots of other things to do in between those.

The 'extra' tours are longer - they go round various other things on the way to the Saturn/Center. I think the best is the Then and Now Tour which goes into the Cape Canaveral Air Force Base next door to look at the very early stuff - it is more geeky, but takes over 3 hrs out of the day. The Fly with an Astronaut is very expensive - I don't think you really see anything that you can't do for free.

If you can, go on a day when there is a launch if there is one - it's the icing on the cake.

Driving there is very easy - about 60 to 90 min - more or less straight down the SR528. Look at GoogleMaps, use the aerial photo and streetview - you can ask it for the routre and traffic. Wouldn't consider being there without a car - really easy - never bothered with a sat nav. After KSC closes, pop into Cocoa Beach to see the Atlantic and have a meal before heading back.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List