Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jan 18, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Having had a return flight cancelled then rebooked on a flight to a different airport plus downgraded to Economy from Club we know what airlines attitudes are like. Like it or lump it. If you are inconvenienced and it costs you extra then claim from them. They'll fight you but stand your ground.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
macy
VIP Dibber

macy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We had a flight with AA but booked with BA, same happened they changed our flight times by a few hours and BA changed them free. No bother in fact more than helpful to get us what we really wanted. It is worth giving them a call and see what they offer.
macy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

I had this problem with Air New Zealand - except we had a 24 hour connection time! I think they have to offer a reasonable alternative if the gap is big, but I'm not sure 5 hours is considered to be a big gap. Unfortunately for us, that was the only flight we could get seats on, so we had to just accept that. We were not entitled to compensation from Air New Zealand as the new flight had the same code as the old flight. Travel insurance wouldn't pay out either, as it was counted a reschedule and not a cancellation or delay! Having said that, we had the most amazing day in Tokyo - which we wouldn't have done if our flight hadn't changed.

I would fly indirect again though. This is the first time this has happened to us out of like 30 flights. If BA wont switch you to a shorter gap, then use the time to have a nice meal in the airport. Sometimes you will be grateful for the bigger gap, if your first plane is delayed by a few hours.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by porridge View Post
I had this problem with Air New Zealand - except we had a 24 hour connection time! I think they have to offer a reasonable alternative if the gap is big, but I'm not sure 5 hours is considered to be a big gap. Unfortunately for us, that was the only flight we could get seats on, so we had to just accept that. We were not entitled to compensation from Air New Zealand as the new flight had the same code as the old flight. Travel insurance wouldn't pay out either, as it was counted a reschedule and not a cancellation or delay! Having said that, we had the most amazing day in Tokyo - which we wouldn't have done if our flight hadn't changed.

I would fly indirect again though. This is the first time this has happened to us out of like 30 flights. If BA wont switch you to a shorter gap, then use the time to have a nice meal in the airport. Sometimes you will be grateful for the bigger gap, if your first plane is delayed by a few hours.
BA do consider 5 hours to be a significant time change.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post

we are travelling from Dublin with AA booked through BA originally dub-chicago-orlando our flight in to Orlando changed by 4 hours to a 7 hour layover which we weren't willing to accept .
phoned customer services and they were great , gave us several alternatives to choose from at no extra cost we now leave 2 hours later from Dublin and arrive at same time as we were originally due to .
The flight hadn't been changed as such the codeshare option was moved to the later flight operated by AA
Old 24 Feb 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post

Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for your advice. We looked for alternate flights but it's Easter and there was nothing available. Then - the flights changed again and they're magically back to (almost) what they were originally. Hey Ho.
Old 24 Feb 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
yorky
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jimjam95 View Post
We're going at Easter - 4 adults and 4 children under 11. Took ages to find flights that didn't have long waits between the two parts of the journey and we booked Heathrow to Chicago to Florida last July. I just went online to add passport info and found that BA have changed the flight times; the first one is 25 minutes later and the second is a different flight that leaves a 5 hour wait in Chicago - the very thing we tried to avoid. If we hadn't minded a delay we could have gone much cheaper. I'm feeling very upset - this is the first day of our once-in-a-lifetime holiday together and it's already gone wrong. Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice appreciated.
It’s a regular thing these days, they changed ours by a full day and did not tell us. As others have said give them a ring first looking at options.