Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Feb 18, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Softy, since VA began miles 'from', I noted a required miles increase irrespective of direct/indirect, whereas miles were firm until VA updated their website. We were very lucky to get UC reward returns last year, used most of our miles altho we've built a few more up since. Debating flying Dublin to RSW next winter, pre-clearance appeals
Hi Chris. Partly true. Some routes went up, but some went down, particularly for economy off peak redemption's.
I can't remember exactly when they changed the miles required, but it was when they revamped it to have peak/off peak mileage, which is why they say 'from'. The headline price will be for a direct virgin flight in the off peak dates. It will go up by a set amount if 1 or both flights are in the peak dates. The amounts are set for Virgin flights.
There isn't any dynamic prices where they can change, they are still firm. If you search for indirect it will add on more miles (for the internal Delta flight) and more fees/taxes. It's all on the website in a table (for direct virgin flights), with the peak date ranges listed.
There is still some great value in Economy redemptions. Before the change i only used to use my miles in what are now considered peak times, but you can't beat Vegas for 30k return (was around 40k before), when the flights are almost always over £500, or Caribbean for 20k, which i used last month and never saw the cash price below £600.

Edited at 04:59 PM.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 18, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

You cannot combine / pool the miles from both flying club accounts as such (unless you are flying club Gold with a supplementary Silver account).

You have to use the miles in each account to book full sector(s). So if account A has 51k miles & account B has 49k miles (for example) and it's 25k miles each way per person, you can book a return ticket from account A (using 50k miles), but only a single from account B as you're 1k miles short. You can of course buy the extra 1k miles (or transfer them from account A for a fee), but you cannot pool the miles.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 12:05 AM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

It costs if you want to transfer miles so be aware of that.
You can ring VA and get them to log that you have permission to us the miles from both cards. I did this for our last booking. We rang and my hubby gave his permission for me to redeem his miles as he was going to be working when I booked. Saves you both being there.
I followed the website for weeks and worked out they load the reward flights at about 3 am so I set my alarm and rang the 24hr number so we were certain to get the seat. Sounds mad but it was for August and we had no flexibility on dates so I was a woman on a mission lol! 😀

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 18, 04:41 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Softy View Post
Hi Chris. Partly true. Some routes went up, but some went down, particularly for economy off peak redemption's.
I can't remember exactly when they changed the miles required, but it was when they revamped it to have peak/off peak mileage, which is why they say 'from'. The headline price will be for a direct virgin flight in the off peak dates. It will go up by a set amount if 1 or both flights are in the peak dates. The amounts are set for Virgin flights.
There isn't any dynamic prices where they can change, they are still firm. If you search for indirect it will add on more miles (for the internal Delta flight) and more fees/taxes. It's all on the website in a table (for direct virgin flights), with the peak date ranges listed.
There is still some great value in Economy redemptions. Before the change i only used to use my miles in what are now considered peak times, but you can't beat Vegas for 30k return (was around 40k before), when the flights are almost always over £500, or Caribbean for 20k, which i used last month and never saw the cash price below £600.
Hi Softy - we winter, off peak, travel (supposed less required miles), searched atween May to Aug, low availability, the odd dates I found were high, example, Man to MCO in PE circa 80k pp, not good considering we had UC reward returns last winter for 100k pp.

In VA's Aug sale we opted PE, Man/Atl/RSW return, £687pp (no drive from/to MCO/Bokeelia... what's that about best laid plans ). Just after arriving in Bokeelia I discovered VA's re-schedule of Man routes to the A330-200, no PE cabin. VA kindly re-routed us MCO to Man.

Flown VA for years, but whilst the 787 groundings for engine refurb/refit have Man schedules aboard the 200 series we'll check other options, including Dublin for next winter.
Old 22 Feb 18, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Softy - we winter, off peak, travel (supposed less required miles), searched atween May to Aug, low availability, the odd dates I found were high, example, Man to MCO in PE circa 80k pp, not good considering we had UC reward returns last winter for 100k pp.
Part of June, all of July and August are peak dates, which is why your PE return searches were high miles and low availability. PE return at peak times is 65k, so one of your flights would’ve been indirect bumping it up another 15k.

Edited at 09:41 AM.
Softy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Part of June, all of July and August are peak dates, which is why your PE return searches were high miles and low availability. PE return at peak times is 65k, so one of your flights would’ve been indirect bumping it up another 15k.
I've misled you Softy, we travel off peak, Nov to May, usually Man to MCO. Off peak 80k miles Man to MCO PE is high, so we opted £687 cash fare in-direct [first time in 6 years] into RSW to avoid driving down. Apparently VA's 'from' miles increase is relative to Delta's influence.
Old 24 Feb 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Softy
Imagineer

There are peak dates in your date range Chris. I guarantee the maximum amount of miles you need for a Virgin return off peak is 45k in PE to Mco. Your searches either went into peak dates or had indirect flights, or both.
Old 25 Feb 18, 03:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

There are peak dates in your date range Chris. I guarantee the maximum amount of miles you need for a Virgin return off peak is 45k in PE to Mco. Your searches either went into peak dates or had indirect flights, or both.
Hi Softy, my Man to MCO direct search was last summer for the trip we're currently on, availability was like rocking horse dodo Odd available PE reward seats equated to circa 80k return. I'll take a look in June for next winter, be handy if we can acquire flights for 45k pp. Ta muchly doing a search Softy, cheers