Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Nov 17, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Whoah ambitious and sounds great. Not sure how long that sub $100 starting price will hold!
Well, I suppose all they have to do is have a small number of $99 rooms available for a few nights each year to claim a "sub $100 starting price".

Most of the rooms for most of the year will probably be significantly more than $100.

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
‘Minutes’ from Universal? More like 20 minutes with the traffic lights!
It's about a 20 minute walk from the old Wet'n'Wild site to the Universal parks. But only a 5 minute drive. The times usually refer to the driving time not the walking time.

Originally Posted by Latinosharkey View Post
Is it just me or are there going to be too many rooms for the parks?
There's currently around 5700 onsite rooms at the moment. They'll be a total of 9000 onsite rooms when all this is done. That's a potential increase of around 58% in onsite guest numbers.

If you assume each hotel will be 90% full and each room will have an average of 3 people, then that comes to an additional 9000 onsite guests in the next couple of years (total number of onsite guests will be around 24,300). Of course, those guests will be split across the 3 existing parks as well as visiting other attractions - but let's say 4,000 go to each of the main parks plus 1,000 at VB.

Currently, the yearly attendance at the main Universal parks is around 10 million each. That's an average of 27,000 guests per park per day.

If we only consider the additional onsite guests then the park attendance will increase from around 27,000 per day to around 31,000 per day due to these new hotels. That's a 15% increase.

In comparison, that's similar to the increase Universal Studios saw from 2014 to 2015 (around 15%). It's a significant increase but nothing too huge. It'll make the parks feel about as busy as the Disney parks.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:31 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Latinosharkey View Post
Is it just me or are there going to be too many rooms for the parks?

I know that they are planning a 4th (or even a 5th) gate near the convention center but with these additional hotels there wont be much room for offsite guests.

Universal Studios is small as is Volcano Bay. Fair enough, Islands is larger. But three gates for this many rooms - the ratios are very lucrative.

Don't get wrong: I understand that Comcast need to make money and the hotels look lovely but will onsite guest overrun the parks?

I suppose Disney are doing the same... hmmm.
If there are to be 9000 rooms, with an average of 3 guests each, that would be 27,000 guests. In 2016 they had just shy of 10million visitors. Divided that by 365 and you get around 27,400 on an average day, maybe half that again on a busy day, probably nearer double on holidays. Doesn't leave very much room for off-site guests at all.
Old 8 Nov 17, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post
If there are to be 9000 rooms, with an average of 3 guests each, that would be 27,000 guests. In 2016 they had just shy of 10million visitors. Divided that by 365 and you get around 27,400 on an average day, maybe half that again on a busy day, probably nearer double on holidays. Doesn't leave very much room for off-site guests at all.
The parks rarely close for capacity so what you would have if it succeeds are busier parks
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

This is my opinion, and only mine.
Orlando has become way too successful. A victim of its own success & vision.
It's whole infrastructure is struggling. It needs to slow down its growth, not increase it!
Having visited 4 in the last 9 years, in summer, it's simply way too busy to enjoy anymore. Having been to VB this year, I was suspicious that the only way for this park park to exist in the future was to allow only 'universal hotel' guests in in the future.
With the addition of these 2 hotels, I now think the same for IOA & US.
Disney have created a similar business model, and having 'outsiders' in just allows for more profit, but to the detriment of others experience, as the parks are very very busy.
It's a shame, as if we all visited, and ALL just did a bit of the Orlando gig, it could still manage the visitor numbers... just..
For now , for us , it's 'adios' Orlando, 'Ola' Mediterranean...again.
We really loved Orlando, but with all the rising numbers ticket prices/hotels/queues, it just doesn't make sense.
Again , my opinion, and know I'm probably in the minority.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Neil & Stella View Post
Remember that it's unlikely that those 27,000 onsite guests will all head to the same park on the same day. Some will go to Universal Studios, some to IOA, some to VB and some will be visiting elsewhere (shopping at the malls, seeing the sights down I Drive, going to Seaworld, visiting Disney, etc).

At a rough guess, it'll be more like 10,000 of those onsite guests will visit one particular park on any one day. That still means that the majority of guests will be offsite guests. As I mentioned above, it'll "only" be a daily increase of around 4,000 guests per day compared to the current numbers.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
At a rough guess, it'll be more like 10,000 of those onsite guests will visit one particular park on any one day. That still means that the majority of guests will be offsite guests. As I mentioned above, it'll "only" be a daily increase of around 4,000 guests per day compared to the current numbers.
AND ... as you previously mentionned, this will mostly take customers from the other I-Drive hotels and motels.
It will not, magically, make 10k guests appear out of thin air each and every day.

The only "issue" would be with those hotels getting early admission.
If all of those 4000+ additional guest (eligible for Early Admission) did choose to all visit THE Early Admission park (usually there is only one, plus VB) then that would have a dramatic effect on that park

BUT, Universal has probably anticipated this, by giving Deluxe hotel guests Express Passes for Harry Potter. And that drives down the number of guests staying at deluxes and using Early Admission
PLUS not everyone at the new hotels will fancy getting up at silly o'clock to take advantage of the Early Admission.

SO, overall, that will not really increase the number of guests inside the parks
what it will change, is where they stay and who they give their money to.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 17, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
AND ... as you previously mentionned, this will mostly take customers from the other I-Drive hotels and motels.
It will not, magically, make 10k guests appear out of thin air each and every day.
Actually, I don't think it was me that mentioned that. But it is a very good point, as is your discussion about early admission.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 10 Nov 17, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally I think they are building too many and too fast. I will be very surprised if they an fill all these new rooms and make money in the long run.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 17, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Personally I think they are building too many and too fast. I will be very surprised if they an fill all these new rooms and make money in the long run.

They'll have absolutely no difficulty filling those rooms

The guests are already there. They're just staying at international drive motels and hotels, just next door.

These new hotels will (most probably) offer early admission
Early admission is currently offered to "partner hotel" guests (only when a specific package is booked. partner hotels do not offer early admission as a hotel perk)
so chances are Universal will no longer offer partner hotel early admission package and keep EA for their own hotels.

These new hotels will offer free and regular shuttles to the parks. Most of the other hotels on i-drive have only a few of shuttles each day, you need to book them, and some even charge you for the shuttles. Or you can walk to the parks

the 2 paragraphs above deal with perks that will give some appeal for those new "onsite" hotels.

Universal hotels will also have pools that are way better than whatever smallish, square pools you'll mostly find at the motels down idrive (except those with so called *waterpark*)

If universal is smart enough (and we know they are most of the time) they will just draw guests from other hotels.
the guests are there. and they're staying on idrive mainly because of cost issue.
If Universal can give the onsite feel and perks, with a price structure that's just a little bit above the competition's prices, then you can bet these hotels will often be near, or at, capacity.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 17, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
BrightlyBob
Very Serious Dibber

I do see this as increasing numbers at Universal. As previously stated those that are currently staying offsite in $100-$200 hotels are now going to be able to choose the 2 new onsiters in that price range. Walking distance of 20m or a regular bus - a la Disney - with good themeing will give the onsite feel.

Take my last visit. I went to Orlando with my ex and autistic son in February. We needed 2 separate rooms and stayed in the Holiday Inn Across from Universal. Their 2-bedroom suite was £150/nt, £10 cheaper than 2 separate rooms. No themeing at all, just a cement swimming pool and a car park. It’s bus service was hourly book-in-advance only and apparently not reliable. We made the 20m walk daily and were happy to do so.

It was a good stay but I would have leapt at the opportunity of either of these new hotels with similar pricing to the Holiday Inn. I think it’s safe to say others will reach the same conclusion and instead of staying at the 20m walk Holiday Inn, Doubletree or Fairfield will move over to the new onsiters.

So will the Holiday Inn, Doubletree etc simply move out? Of course not, these are hotels. They can’t move out, so they’ll reduce prices to attract trade. If they can’t reduce rates low enough they’ll close and the landlord will lease the building out to another hotelier at lower rent so the new one will be able to reduce prices which will then attract guests who previously couldn’t afford to stay. They are the new customers. New visitors to Universal.

Thus greater numbers. Building more onsite hotels will mean more visitors to Universal parks. Lots more visitors. And that’s what Universal wants.
BrightlyBob is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List