Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 26 Sep 17, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
rubberduckie89
Excited about Disney

rubberduckie89's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yep - we had this issue last December! In the end we were able to use/they accepted a photo of the passport photo page on my phone along with a license.
Old 26 Sep 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
paultall90
slightly serious Dibber

My daughter and her boyfriend got checked every time when drinking around the world at epcot some had no problem with uk licence. Some didn't even look and 1 totally refused. I think that depends on the vendor and there mood., 4 dollars for a little cup of beer.
Old 26 Sep 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ariel88 View Post
This has always been my argument. Surely a physical ID (ie driving licence) is better than a photocopy or picture of one.
Is it reasonable to expect an Epcot bar person to be familiar with every type of driving license in the world and to sort out the legal from the illegal?
Old 26 Sep 17, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Never had an issue using my UK driving licence for anything in the US.
Have used it for proof of age to buy drinks and proof of identity to cash travellers cheques in loads of places including Disney.
I'm guessing it was just the person you were being served by.
Taking a copy of your passport is easy to fake, so I don't know what that would serve. I think my 12 year old boy could even photoshop a copy of my passport.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post
paultall90
slightly serious Dibber

When we went to the hard rock there was some Dutch I think and they were ordering cocktails when a staff member got a big A4 size book out which showed different countries I'd like passports and drivers licence. Good idea. And they got there cocktail 2 mins later everybody happy
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Stephaniesays
Trying for More Ears

I got served in the Mexican pavilion at Epcot- I showed my license and the man asked for a copy of my passport as well... when I came away I realised I had showed him the copy of my boyfriends passport by mistake and he hadn't even noticed!
Stephaniesays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

I'm well past the age of being ID'd for alcohol so no issue for me.

However in all the years I've been going to WDW I've never been asked who the drinks were for ( or their ID ) when I've bought from kiosks at Epcot and most times I was buying three alcoholic drinks at a time... only time I was asked was at the kiosk that sold beer in Marketplace at what was Downtown Disney when I ordered two beers and had to produce two separate IDs ( which I used our driving licences without any problems)
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Miss_Shell View Post
Oh damn - thanks for the heads up! Is a photo copy OK then?
Take a photo on your phone?

Disney332
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

Thanks for the heads up.

Was disappointed last year not to be asked but glad I wasn't now as I never let my passport out of the safe.

Why would anyone bother going to the trouble of faking a drivers licence just to get a drink in Disney.

Cheap vodka at a 7/11 I can understand, but overpriced booze in Epcot

Anyone faking a DL would not put their age at 36 !

Clearly stupidity from the staff is it their fault if someone tricks them?

Having to take your passport to have a cocktail... lol beggars belief.

Is it reasonable to expect an Epcot bar person to be familiar with every type of driving license in the world and to sort out the legal from the illegal?
But it's reasonable for them to know every passport ?

My wife is Irish, her passport is very different from mine (UK) anyway if you are refused service you'll be saving money
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 17, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

I wonder if this is an n=1 scenario and you have just been unlucky? At 45 I still get asked... but UK driving license has always been fine for me.

However, I've also been asked a few times when I didn't have ID on me. Each time the server has just taken a closer look at my wrinkles and grey hair / beard, realised that if I'm under 21 I must have had the most difficult paper round in the universe and then served me anyway. The only times I've been refused was back when I was in my late 20's / early 30's.

Now, try buying 2 alcoholic drinks when you're queueing alone in the parks and see what happens... no matter what ID you have.

Don't be a pain to the servers no matter what the outcome though. It may be crazy that you're being carded but they can get into huge amounts of trouble for supplying alcohol to a minor. The American's take that stuff really seriously.