Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 2 Jul 18, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
littletrev
Imagineer

I watched the Tim Tracker video over the weekend and I can't wait to visit TSL as we will have our 3 yr old granddaughter with us, she loves toy story as do I.

I don't get all the hype about Pandora, I watched the avatar film and I was totally underwhelmed by it, so I don't think I will bother with FOP if there's a small queue we might go on but I can't see us using a FP to go on it.
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
... but TSL to me, looks like Honey I shrunk the Kids with a coaster and food.

Slinky looks tame and whilst well themed is built to a standard model, the likes of which are repeated in many theme parks the world over.
Which is pretty much what it is supposed to be. Toy Story Land is supposed to be a family-friendly area aimed at kids and SDD is designed to be a gentle family-friendly coaster, similar to the Barnstormer or the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. It's not supposed to be another Pandora or Star Wars Land. And, in that respect, it looks like Disney have done a great job. From the videos TSL looks well themed and the rides look fairly enjoyable. Rides don't have to be thrilling to be enjoyable.

Hollywood Studios was sadly lacking in an area aimed more at younger kids and families and now it has one. The thrill-seekers can go on RnRC, ToT, Star Tours and the new Star Wars rides when they open, whilst the rest have Toy Story Land. I think that makes for a good mix.

IMO, the only thing missing from TSL is a children's play area to replace the old Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. I think HS is the only park that doesn't have a children's play area.

Oh, and btw... I would argue that SDD isn't a standard model rollercoaster. There's no hill climb for starters. Instead it's an accelerated double-launch coaster. Those aren't common.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Robsie71
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by littletrev View Post
I watched the Tim Tracker video over the weekend and I can't wait to visit TSL as we will have our 3 yr old granddaughter with us, she loves toy story as do I.

I don't get all the hype about Pandora, I watched the avatar film and I was totally underwhelmed by it, so I don't think I will bother with FOP if there's a small queue we might go on but I can't see us using a FP to go on it.
I dont think you need to understand/like avatar to enjoy FOP. The ride is just amazing and not to miss IMHO.
Robsie71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Robsie71
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Robsie71 View Post
I dont think you need to understand/like avatar to enjoy FOP. The ride is just amazing and not to miss IMHO.
What he said - well put.
Robsie71 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

We went yesterday and loved it,I agree very much for the little ones but the theming is amazing absolutely outstanding.went on both slinky dog and the alien saucers,brilliant!
nadya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by littletrev View Post

I didn't like the Avatar film either but I think the ride looks brilliant. So I'm simply going to enjoy it as a ride in its own right rather than a ride based on a film. It's like Splash Mountain - that's based on a film called Song of the South but how many people go on the ride because they like it rather than liking it because it's based on that film? In fact how many people riding it even know it's based on that film?
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
I didn't like the Avatar film either but I think the ride looks brilliant. So I'm simply going to enjoy it as a ride in its own right rather than a ride based on a film. It's like Splash Mountain - that's based on a film called Song of the South but how many people go on the ride because they like it rather than liking it because it's based on that film? In fact how many people riding it even know it's based on that film?
The vast majority of the people riding it nowadays will have never seen the film. Disney continue to pretend it doesn't exist. I remember seeing it in the cinema when I was young. Have seen parts of it again recently and it was pretty poor and that doesn't take into account the racism.

Love the ride though.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Forkbeard
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chair1519 View Post
Disney continue to pretend it doesn't exist. I remember seeing it in the cinema when I was young. Have seen parts of it again recently and it was pretty poor and that doesn't take into account the racism.
You could replace the word "racism" with "realism".

It's the same with the PoC changes.

Whatever is in there is contextual for the place and time.

Disney had no problem with a Hall of Presidents that until recent years was entirely made up of white men. It still has no women in there. They would argue, I imagine, that this is merely realistic, which it is, and yet they shy away from other forms of realism.

I find it interesting that certain forms of realism, arguably more signifciant, are acceptable whilst others are not.
Forkbeard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Forkbeard View Post
You could replace the word "racism" with "realism".

It's the same with the PoC changes.

Whatever is in there is contextual for the place and time.

Disney had no problem with a Hall of Presidents that until recent years was entirely made up of white men. It still has no women in there. They would argue, I imagine, that this is merely realistic, which it is, and yet they shy away from other forms of realism.

I find it interesting that certain forms of realism, arguably more signifciant, are acceptable whilst others are not.
I understand your point but in the context of Song of the South it doesn't hold. The Hall of Presidents does reflect the reality of who has been the President. Song of the South depicted slaves as being happy with their way of life which was clearly not a realistic portrayal of life at the time.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 18, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Which is pretty much what it is supposed to be. Toy Story Land is supposed to be a family-friendly area aimed at kids and SDD is designed to be a gentle family-friendly coaster, similar to the Barnstormer or the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. It's not supposed to be another Pandora or Star Wars Land. And, in that respect, it looks like Disney have done a great job. From the videos TSL looks well themed and the rides look fairly enjoyable. Rides don't have to be thrilling to be enjoyable.

Hollywood Studios was sadly lacking in an area aimed more at younger kids and families and now it has one. The thrill-seekers can go on RnRC, ToT, Star Tours and the new Star Wars rides when they open, whilst the rest have Toy Story Land. I think that makes for a good mix.

IMO, the only thing missing from TSL is a children's play area to replace the old Honey I Shrunk the Kids play area. I think HS is the only park that doesn't have a children's play area.

Oh, and btw... I would argue that SDD isn't a standard model rollercoaster. There's no hill climb for starters. Instead it's an accelerated double-launch coaster. Those aren't common.
When I started the thread, I was under no illusion that WDW had created exactely what it set out to do. I suppose a designated play area was deemed unnecessary due to the sum of its parts fulfilling that need?

The coaster comment was from a casual view point

Disney332