Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 Aug 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
disneytime
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile Upgrading to Upper Class (Virgin)

I’d never really considered upgrading our economy seats before but watching videos online it’s very tempting.

What kind of prices can we expect and would you recommend?
disneytime is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

It's an unpopular opinion on here but I don't personally think UC is worth the cost. I think a lot of the added value is mental, rather than tangible benefits. For me, I only upgrade from PE (which I do think is worth the money for the wide and comfortable seat) if I don't want someone reclining into my space.

I don't factor lounge use in at all, but living where I do, I can be from my house to gate in under half an hour so don't spend loads of time in the airport.

As for price, it can be quite complicated depending what ticket code your economy seats are booked under. As you may effectively have to pay for a whole new set of tickets, quite a few of the fare codes cannot be upgraded. You would have to contact who you booked the flights through and ask for an upgrade price. If through VS directly, there may be an upgrade price listed in the manage booking area - keep checking, as the prices fluctuate.

Edited at 05:59 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post
spm23
Trainee Dibber

Would only ever upgrade to PE unless you definitely want the extra luggage or need to sleep on the way home because you have to go straight to work.
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’ve flown UC before and can highly recommend it. In fact I have another Uc booked in November. If you are flying from LHR you get access to the UC lounge which has a haridfessers & hot tub!
For prices I would say anywhere from £200-£2000 it can range very wildly
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We upgrade a lot. I really care not what other people think but I like the Lounge, the bigger space and the better food in UC.
We are always in PE and never Econ from the off.
I have paid £43 to upgrade to UC, £86 and just over £100.
I wont pay more than £150.
I am currently monitoring an Oct 18 date and they want over £1200 at the moment.
About as much chance of me paying that as hiring a car from Dollar.

I lay money I will get it within my self imposed budget.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We upgrade a lot. I really care not what other people think but I like the Lounge, the bigger space and the better food in UC.
I am currently monitoring an Oct 18 date and they want over £1200 at the moment.
About as much chance of me paying that as hiring a car from Dollar.

I lay money I will get it within my self imposed budget.
my feelings exactly
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Catherine
Imagineer

Mobile

Upper is a treat. No two ways about it. The service is good. Food better and yes more private. The seat is very comfy. Bed not so. But if you can afford it go for it x x

Catherine
Catherine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loldis View Post
It's an unpopular opinion on here but I don't personally think UC is worth the cost. I think a lot of the added value is mental, rather than tangible benefits. For me, I only upgrade from PE (which I do think is worth the money for the wide and comfortable seat) if I don't want someone reclining into my space.
Not sure how you can say it isn't worth the cost when you dont know what the cost is?
Would you pay £10? £50? £100? £200? £500? £1000 etc.

We paid £200 pp and to us that was good value. Total cost £1200.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Shifu
VIP Dibber

Shifu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My thoughts too.

Get it if you can... makes the whole journey that much more pleasurable I think. Flying out in UC rather than the return leg if you want to experience all the little extras like lounge, getting luggage off first at MCO and actually being awake during the flight to enjoy it all is all a bonus!
We once paid as little as £14 each to upgrade from PE to UC in August- maybe I was just lucky being at the right place at the right time as I stalked the website for weeks so jumped at the price. But it can be 10 times that for us.

If not, PE is also very different experience I think than Economy so if you cant manage UC try out PE-

Top tip...get your credit card out or at least within reach before checking prices out... I was running round like a woman possessed searching for my purse the first time we upgraded.
Shifu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
pandanne
Imagineer

We fly PE and today Virgin emailed to say we could upgrade for £1232 per person - I think not Mr Branson.