Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Mar 20, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
BruTamUK
Excited about Disney

Nationwide insurance not quite what it seems

So, we have a 4 week holiday booked independently for July/August this year. Booked everthing prior to the 18th of March so reading the new guidelines from our Nationwide bank account travel insurance we should be covered if it was to be cancelled.
Excellent, we can continue to pay off the different elements of our holiday over the next 3 months (another £7k) knowing that if travel is cancelled we will be covered.
But, then you get to the FAQ at the bottom of the page, where it clearly states "We cannot provide cover for your trip if you decide to decline your travel providers offer of vouchers or credit".
We cannot contact them to ask any questions as they are only dealing with travel in the next 48 hours.

My wife works in a school and therefore we can only replicate this holiday in the summer 6 week holidays. We cannot travel for another 12 months so will not be able to accept any vouchers or credit for use before August 2021.
Does this mean we are not covered if we turn down vouchers/credit that needs to be re-booked by Christmas for example?

We are currently contemplating cancelling everything before we pay out anymore money (£4k payed, £7k due). Although the AnnaMaria villa and Legoland bookings have our card details ready to take the final balance payments in May. Can we stop these payments being taken?

Really don't know what to do.

We were happy to continue with the holiday paying for everything hoping that it will go ahead but with the grey area over insurance we don't want to risk losing anymore money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Bruce.
BruTamUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I read that as if they offer vouchers then they won’t pay out for cancellation. You have to take that vouchers. But I can see how it could be interpreted in different ways.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BruTamUK
Excited about Disney

But what if the vouchers have a time limit and cannot be used? That could be the situation we find ourselves in.
BruTamUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BruTamUK View Post
But what if the vouchers have a time limit and cannot be used? That could be the situation we find ourselves in.
I think that's the risk you take with vouchers. We would be in the same situation as my OH is a teacher as well.
Personally I am almost certain our flights in July will be cancelled. I will wait until they are and hence will be due a refund.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Personally I am almost certain our flights in July will be cancelled. I will wait until they are and hence will be due a refund.
Good advice and I will be doing the same too. Cash only for me, no worthless vouchers, points or tokens😀
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Have you booked flight only? If the airline cancels the flight they have to offer a cash refund under EU law, they are trying to get away with offering credit or vouchers but a refund should also be offered.
Did you pay by credit card? If so that would be another option.

I did see something the other day where an insurer was saying that they wouldn’t cover further payments made after 18/3 on existing bookings but I can’t remember where i read it, it might be worth checking that out with Nationwide before making anymore payments.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
BruTamUK
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Have you booked flight only? If the airline cancels the flight they have to offer a cash refund under EU law, they are trying to get away with offering credit or vouchers but a refund should also be offered.
Did you pay by credit card? If so that would be another option.

I did see something the other day where an insurer was saying that they wouldn’t cover further payments made after 18/3 on existing bookings but I can’t remember where i read it, it might be worth checking that out with Nationwide before making anymore payments.
Yes, we booked flight only with Lufthansa. Not too worried about the flight as we would expect a refund if the flight is cancelled.
Its the accommodation and tickets that may not refund but only offer vouchers.
I know we are not due to travel until late July but when we have another £7k due before then we don't want to risk losing anymore money if the Nationwide insurance don't play game.

It would help if we could speak to Nationwide but they will only discuss travel in the next 48 hours.
Old 30 Mar 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by BruTamUK View Post
Yes, we booked flight only with Lufthansa. Not too worried about the flight as we would expect a refund if the flight is cancelled.
Its the accommodation and tickets that may not refund but only offer vouchers.
I know we are not due to travel until late July but when we have another £7k due before then we don't want to risk losing anymore money if the Nationwide insurance don't play game.

It would help if we could speak to Nationwide but they will only discuss travel in the next 48 hours.
Do you bank with them? Could try sending a secure message through online banking?
Or email?
Old 30 Mar 20, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BruTamUK
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Do you bank with them? Could try sending a secure message through online banking?
Or email?
I'll look into that.
Thanks.
Old 1 Apr 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post

Another message from Nationwide they definitely won’t cover a rearranged flight or holiday for CV medical issues if you have to pay more as it’s got more expensive

Your travel insurance with your FlexPlus or FlexAccount will not cover you for trips in the UK or abroad booked on or after 18 March, now that the risks of coronavirus are known. This also applies to any new upgrades you may be purchasing for trips booked before 18 March 2020.

As the additional payment after 18/03/2020 will be seen as an upgrade to your flight this will invalidate the cover even if the company are giving you the exact same flight as before.