Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Jumping on this thread .. we go in a few weeks and have booked PE with virgin using miles etc ... I keep debating whether to upgrade to UC and would only do so if a bargain 😊... I've looked at the bid online and it seems to be (If I'm reading it right) the lowest bid is £460 each .. which is too much ... so does anyone have any tips on the best way to try and do this ? If it doesn't happen uts no drama ... we are happy in PE 😁...thanks for all advice
Lisa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Interesting that the timing of this thread coincides with an offer popping up on my BA booking for this Sunday.

It wasn’t there yesterday when I was looking but is now.

£260 from wt to wtp.

We’re already wtp on the return.

When we booked it was about £250 more for wtp on return but to make it both ways was a lot more.

I’ve kept an eye on it since then and it’s ranged from £500 to £1700 to upgrade that one leg to wtp.

I’m really tempted to go for it but think I’ll wait until online check in on Saturday and see what happens then.

Reading FlyerTalk suggests if you have an offer pop up it can go down at check in stage.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
geniefan
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Jumping on this thread .. we go in a few weeks and have booked PE with virgin using miles etc ... I keep debating whether to upgrade to UC and would only do so if a bargain 😊... I've looked at the bid online and it seems to be (If I'm reading it right) the lowest bid is £460 each .. which is too much ... so does anyone have any tips on the best way to try and do this ? If it doesn't happen uts no drama ... we are happy in PE 😁...thanks for all advice
Keep trying the online chat or phone them up. OR (what I plan on doing) is asking at the twilight check in the night before. At the end of the day, if there's seats going spare I'm sure they sell them to me. Like you though, I dont want to pay too much as I'm happy in PE. But it would be a nice one-off treat to myself
Old 1 Aug 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

that really made me smile Tom Morrow.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks guys. Unsure on airline as yet, but likely route could we be BA from Gatwick to Tampa, so some interesting comments.
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
I'm not sure that BA operate the same upgrade process. We upgraded from Wt to CW for this summer.
Interestingly, we did do well on price - I booked a BA fly drive LGW-TPA in the sale in September 2018, for travel this august, and got a good price.
When I called to upgrade, they gave me 2 prices - one the upgrade price that day and one price "had I done it on the day I booked".
The difference in price in the UPGRADE cost for 4 people was £4500.
We upgraded WT to CW for £3500 return for 3 ad + 1ch.
It can be done and worth asking for those 2 prices if you find yourself able to do it at a later date.
So you paid X when you booked for Econ, then an extra £3.5k in total to upgrade you all to club? And if you'd done this on the day you booked, you'd have paid £8k more? Is that right? Pretty good if it is. When did you book to upgrade? And when did you book the fly drive initially - price?

Sorry, too many questions there, but it looks like you are doing my favoured route...

Thanks!
Connors Daddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

With BA, most cash fares can be upgraded to any other cabin, but the cost is often prohibitively expensive, involving fare difference plus any change fees attached to the original fare.

The one cabin restriction applies primarily to Avios upgrades, and the special offers which appear in the booking online will only be for one cabin at a time.

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Reading FlyerTalk suggests if you have an offer pop up it can go down at check in stage.
Hmm. I have considerable experience of these offers (known as POUGs in BA-speak), and while they can drop in price, they can also go up, or disappear completely. That’s the risk you take, you can win or lose this gamble.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Connors Daddy View Post
So you paid X when you booked for Econ, then an extra £3.5k in total to upgrade you all to club? And if you'd done this on the day you booked, you'd have paid £8k more? Is that right? Pretty good if it is. When did you book to upgrade? And when did you book the fly drive initially - price?

Sorry, too many questions there, but it looks like you are doing my favoured route...

Thanks!
Sorry, I wasn't very clear!
We bought a BA flydrive (WT) in Sept 2018 for £2300 (with upgraded care to 7-seater) for 3ad +1 ch.
About 7 weeks ago (on the last day of the BA sale) I called up and was given 2 quotes for upgrade from WT to CW
- Quote 1 was based on the cost that day 7 weeks ago and would have cost us another £7500 return
- Quote 2 was based on the cost the day we booked the flights back in Sept 2018 and was an additional £3050 return.

Needless to say we went for the 2nd option!
The LGW-TPA route is fab, and is still faster to get through Tampa International and drive back to Orlando than to stand in the immigration at MCO and try to drive to Kissimmee/LBV from MCO! And on our return it was great - walk through security and nobody shouted at us! (unlike MCO every other time I have been there! ).

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Connors Daddy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
Sorry, I wasn't very clear!
We bought a BA flydrive (WT) in Sept 2018 for £2300 (with upgraded care to 7-seater) for 3ad +1 ch.
About 7 weeks ago (on the last day of the BA sale) I called up and was given 2 quotes for upgrade from WT to CW
- Quote 1 was based on the cost that day 7 weeks ago and would have cost us another £7500 return
- Quote 2 was based on the cost the day we booked the flights back in Sept 2018 and was an additional £3050 return.

Needless to say we went for the 2nd option!
The LGW-TPA route is fab, and is still faster to get through Tampa International and drive back to Orlando than to stand in the immigration at MCO and try to drive to Kissimmee/LBV from MCO! And on our return it was great - walk through security and nobody shouted at us! (unlike MCO every other time I have been there! ).
Thanks for this. So around £5350 for 4 in CW, with an upgraded car? Sounds pretty good to me.