Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Aug 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

My husband had bad back pain last year and was referred by his gp to a physio. No manipulation was done - he was given exercises to do. Despite no improvement- in fact things getting slightly worse, the physio seemed unconcerned.
He wasn’t happy after a few months of severe pain he pushed for an mri (physio refused to refer as said he knew the problem and my husband just needed to improve his core muscles)

After waiting a ridiculous time for an mri he was found to have a lump by his nerves on his spinal column. After more tests this was fortunately found to be non-cancerous. So, if it were me and your daughter shows no signs of improvement I’d push with your gp to get an MRI referral - even if I had to pay privately.

Id also consider a chiropractic consultation- I have far more confidence in them.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Did my back a couple of years ago and the physios knowledge was invaluable
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by bluedave View Post
My husband had bad back pain last year and was referred by his gp to a physio. No manipulation was done - he was given exercises to do. Despite no improvement- in fact things getting slightly worse, the physio seemed unconcerned.
He wasn’t happy after a few months of severe pain he pushed for an mri (physio refused to refer as said he knew the problem and my husband just needed to improve his core muscles)

After waiting a ridiculous time for an mri he was found to have a lump by his nerves on his spinal column. After more tests this was fortunately found to be non-cancerous. So, if it were me and your daughter shows no signs of improvement I’d push with your gp to get an MRI referral - even if I had to pay privately.

Id also consider a chiropractic consultation- I have far more confidence in them.
Can I ask why you have more confidence in a chiropractor? I've always wondered this?

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Over the years I have found physios to be absolute magicians!
Certainly in my case they have diagnosed a number of wierd conditions, treated them and given me exercises for the long term to help prevention.

I guess like everything - there are good ones and rubbish ones. I am fortunate to use one who was physio to a national rugby team.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Had a brilliant physio last time I had my shoulder surgery. She was private and a sports physio but well worth it.

The first shoulder I had issues with I had a chap who just gave me exercises, didn't try to move my shoulder or see me do movement - not impressed. This was the physio attached to the private hospital I had the op at and included in the package price.

So when I had the 2nd op I asked to use a different physio and as I said she was brilliant! Don't know if it was the sports bit or just I got someone who couldn't be bothered. I didn't complain as didn't know any better at the time!
Old 7 Aug 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cheekytink View Post
Can I ask why you have more confidence in a chiropractor? I've always wondered this?
Well experience of both is one reason - several chiropractors vs several physio. The chiropractor always seems to come over as being more knowledgeable about why you have pain and what they’re going to do to ‘fix it’. The chiropractors alleviate pain from the start and give you exercises to ensure you remain pain free.

The physios tend not to use manipulation so much these days -just gentle exercise. This may be fine in the long run but having 6 months or pain when a chiropractor can sort you out straightaway is ridiculous.o

Chiropractors have to study for longer at university than a physio 4 or 5 years vs 3. Many stay on longer to complete a pHD too - that’s not so common on the physio route.

There are good and bad in each profession I’m sure, they each have a valid role. Every physio I’ve met has a bit of a chip on their shoulder with regards to a chiropractor but I’ve never heard a decent explanation as to why.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Every physio I’ve met has a bit of a chip on their shoulder with regards to a chiropractor but I’ve never heard a decent explanation as to why.
I’m not a physio, but I view chiropractors and osteopaths as verging on quackery, and akin to homeopaths...
Manipulation has been shown to be often a placebo effect and sometimes is downright dangerous (can cause stokes when performed on upper vertebrae). Personally,I would not go to a chiropractor.

See Trick or Treatment by Simon Singh

Edited at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added book ref
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
cheekytink
VIP Dibber

cheekytink's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Well experience of both is one reason - several chiropractors vs several physio. The chiropractor always seems to come over as being more knowledgeable about why you have pain and what they’re going to do to ‘fix it’. The chiropractors alleviate pain from the start and give you exercises to ensure you remain pain free.

The physios tend not to use manipulation so much these days -just gentle exercise. This may be fine in the long run but having 6 months or pain when a chiropractor can sort you out straightaway is ridiculous.o

Chiropractors have to study for longer at university than a physio 4 or 5 years vs 3. Many stay on longer to complete a pHD too - that’s not so common on the physio route.

There are good and bad in each profession I’m sure, they each have a valid role. Every physio I’ve met has a bit of a chip on their shoulder with regards to a chiropractor but I’ve never heard a decent explanation as to why.
Thanks for the reply - that's why I asked. As a physio I guess we do have a somewhat scathing view of chiropractors, but as you say, there are good and bad in all professions. I have seen many patients who have needed physio after a poor experience from being treated by a chiro.
I agree about the pain issue- physio rarely is able to "fix" a problem in a couple of treatments - that's not the purpose of our profession. We are about biomechanics, analysis of body movement and function and rehabilitation which a shared endeavour between the physio and the patient.
I also think that it's great that everyone has the option to choose the interventions that they feel will work best for them, be that physio, chiro, osteopathy, acupuncture, sports therapy or a mixture of all of the above! We all have the same aims to help people.

Been to DLP 40+ times?
Yes... Yes I have.

DLP: 92,93,94 (twice), 95, 96, 98, 99, 00 (twice), 01,02,03, 05, 06 (twice) 07, 09, 10 (twice), 11, 12, 14, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 (twice) 19 (x 4!), 2022 x2 .

WDW 94,96, 99, 10,11, 13, 14,15,17,18,19, 22 x2, 23 x4 and 24 booked x3 (so far!)
Solo visitor lover and DCL 2023 on the Disney Wish
DL 93
cheekytink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
I’m not a physio, but I view chiropractors and osteopaths as verging on quackery, and akin to homeopaths...
Manipulation has been shown to be often a placebo effect and sometimes is downright dangerous (can cause stokes when performed on upper vertebrae). Personally,I would not go to a chiropractor.
I look after an occupational health contract at work and regularly deal with OH nurses and physicians. They will NOT recommend chiropractors and only refer to physio. Our healthcare only covers physio too.

So for me if the medical professionals won't signpost to a chiropractor I wouldn't risk one.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 19, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Every physio I’ve met has a bit of a chip on their shoulder with regards to a chiropractor but I’ve never heard a decent explanation as to why.
The only thing that chiropractic has any evidence for (as in high quality clinical trial evidence that passes external scrutiny) is for lower back pain. The reason why some of us view chiropracters with a degree of caution is that the model of disease that they are taught is not the same as the model of disease that doctors/nurses/physios/anyone else working in conventional medicine are taught.

The chiropracters' interpretation of Xrays are also often at odds with conventional practitioners, who would tend to view many of the "abnormalities" identified by chiropracters as variations of normal anatomy, of no clinical significance (it's amazing how much you can find that doesn't look quite perfect, but isn't the cause of the symptoms), or even over-interpretations.

I work closely with physios and they are really excellent, particularly at biomechanical stuff. If your daughter has coccyx pain, then painkillers and physio would generally be the most appropriate thing to start with. I hope that her symptoms improve soon.

(edited for mis-spelling)