Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Jan 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Crocheting

Don’t even know if that’s spelt right ! I need something to do in evening and crocheting has been suggested. Can anyone point me in direction of a good website with instructions etc please. Any other recommendations gratefully recieved.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

YouTube! Just search for beginners crochet videos, that’s how I taught myself to crochet. It’s really helpful to watch someone do it
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Aldi has disney crochet kits in. I think they are for complete beginners.
Old 6 Jan 19, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Mymemories
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Aldi has disney crochet kits in. I think they are for complete beginners.
Oh no they’re not !

My son bought me the Mickey and Minnie ones and when I took out the instructions I initially thought they were printed in a different language.

I told him when I eventually retire I may get time to try and teach myself how to do them.

Edited at 05:59 AM.
Mymemories is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Elisebev
Trainee Dibber

Ive never done crocheting so can’t advise on that,

What about beading/jewellery making. Ive been making my own jewellery on and off for years. Lots of tutorials available on YouTube/Etsy. At the moment I am doing a beaded tapestry.
Elisebev is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

What about cross stitch ? It’s not as popular as it was, perhaps because it takes a while to stitch a small area. Very satisfying though. HobbyCraft have some small kits to start you off (not cheap though )
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaNuts93
Imagineer

Crocheting is really easy once you have the basic stitches, and you can make some lovely things. 😀

SEE OUR VILLA AT:www.ospreyhouseorlando.com. Luxury five bed/four bath villa with extra large (40 ft) pool overlooking conservation area. Also includes games room.

License number: DWE 4514584
FloridaNuts93 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 01:35 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I did a short course at my local adult education centre to learn the basics and really enjoyed it. There is also a group that meets in my local library to knit and crochet together.

I found a good Dorling Kindersley book which had really good step by step instructions and photos.

Be careful with US videos/patterns/books as some stitches are called different things in US and UK. Also I think hook sizes are different.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post

I decided to take up crochet last year. I looked for a local class but couldn't find anything suitable but I found somebody that did individual lessons in her house for £15 an hour. I had two lessons in January and then I started a blanket, when I was ready to join together I had another lesson. Very pleased with my blanket.

After that I decided to see if I could tackle a toy by myself so started this Paddington Bear. The only thing I couldn't remember was the magic circle, so I YouTubed that and got it. Below is Paddingtons hat and coat, I did do the bear as well but I must have used the wrong wool and he was too big, so I will have another go after holiday.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 07:07 AM  
Link to this Post
jillyb
Imagineer

jillyb's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I taught myself to crochet watching youtube. I'm left handed and there are plenty of video's on there for left and right handed people.