Notices

Old 12 Feb 12, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post

Sounds great. Myself and DS12 will be in Rome around the same time as you - 1-6 June. I wish I had thought it through a bit more to do other parts of Italy. Maybe another trip next year... We have a full itinery all booked through Viator. Got a really good trip from Rome to Pompeii with a trip up Mount Vesuvius.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 12, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Fab, that sounds FAB! what other things have you decided to do?

I've just learned that the Vatican opens from May late on a friday night, through til 11pm, so am thinking we will do this in the evening as often we are lost for evening things so this will be perfect. Not decided whether to book a tour or not, got quoted 139 euros for the 2 of us from one company doing this evening tour, but am going to wait til the official site puts up their tours for May to see if they are going to incude it.
The Basilica will be closed at this time, but we will come back and do that another day
Old 12 Feb 12, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsG26
Excited about Disney

So glad you have decided to do this will be following very closely to see all your plans have u done much research into the lake Garda part? My dh wants to go paragliding off Monte Baldo so I will need to go up the cable car...I'm terrified of heights tho! not sure if I said yes on the other thread so def meet with a gelato by the lake! really excited!
Dec 09/10: Xmas & New Year in Australia. 2010: La Croix Du Vieux Pont, Paris. 2011: Barbados, Duinrell & La Croix Du Vieux Pont 2012: Bella Italia, Lake Garda 2013: Tenerife 2014: Dubai, Benidorm 2015: New York , Orlando 2016: Tenerife, DLP 2017: Tenerife, Olu Deniz, Benalmadena 2018: Berlin, Tenerife, Dubai
MrsG26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 12, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I am afraid of heights too and was looking at the cable car only yesterday as I know DS would love it, I just don't think however that I could bring myself to go up in it . . .I think I would be ok when I got up there, its just the cable car . . .

I havent done a lot of research to be honest on that part, or not yet anyway, am thinking a day on the lake checking out different places, DS hs said he wants to go to Milan and the San Siro, and I would like to get to Verona, which only leaves us 3 days LOL so will make the most of relaxing and using the site, don't think we will do gardaland cos DS doesnt like rollercoasters or big rides, but we may venture to the waterpark for the day.

How about you? Have you found somewhere for your birthday celebration? Guess it wont be jumping off the mountain lol
Old 12 Feb 12, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by karen_uk View Post
Fab, that sounds FAB! what other things have you decided to do?
Here is our itinery booked so far (I booked between Christmas and New Year when they had 10% off - they often have these deals):

Day 1 (Arrival) - just a general nosey around and visit to Time Elevator 3D movie and simulated ride (£18.09 for 2 adults)

Day 2 - Skip the line Vatican Museums, walking tour including Sistine Chapel, Raphaels Rooms and St Peters (£80.65 for 1 adult, 1 child)

Day 3 - Skip the line Ancient Rome and Colliseum half day walking tour (£70.10 for 1 adult, 1 child). Skip the line Hard Rock Cafe Diamond Menu (£28.17 for 2 adults)

Day 4 - Skip the line Crypts and Roman Catacombs small group walking tour (£81.41 for 2 adults).

Day 5 - Pompei day trip from Rome including trip up Mount Vesuvius and pizza lunch (£186.93 for 2 adults)

Day 6 - Depart day - general mop up of those attractions we might not have seen yet eg Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Roman Forum, Pantheon (will probably see these through the week so may plan trip to Bioparco).

There is certainly a lot to see and do! I'm still working through my transport links and walking routes to each attraction. We are staying at a nature reserve near Cornelia station.
Old 12 Feb 12, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post

It sounds great, also, to cover some of the things that you've included in your "mop up" or maybe good on the evening of your first full day I don't know if you are aware, but there is a free evening walking tour which starts from the Spanish steps ~ it gets really good reviews on TA and is free so is always a bonus, just tip the guide if you wish and it doesnt start til 530pm so would fit in on that 1st day, or even one of the other evenings if you havent been "walked out"

Here is the link

newromefreetour/nrft/homepage.html
Old 12 Feb 12, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Sounds wonderful, I went to Lake Garda a few years and fell in love with it, aboslutely beautiful
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 12, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by karen_uk View Post
Thanks Karen. Sounds like a must do to add to my list. I'll be keeping a close watch on your thread to catch recommendations. Happy planning!
Old 17 Feb 12, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Been waiting for ages for Trenitalia to release their journeys for June. They did this yesterday and then released their mini fares today.

The journey for us from Rome Termini to Peschiera Del Garda changing at Verona was coming in at 98 euros on a family discounted ticket. However, having checked out the journeys we have bought two separate tickets

one from Roma Termini to Padova on the high speed train and then a high speed train from Padova to Peschiera del Garda.

Each leg of that journey cost us 9 euros each! So we got the whole journey for 36 euros, and it only takes an extra 30 mins than going the other route, plus we can leave Rome later which means we dont have to rush up, that we can have breakfast before we travel anda s we cant get into the apartment til 5pm, we should get there around 430pm so should work out well.

But for the saving, 30 mins and separate tickets definitely worth it and booking via
lefreece.it site, means you can select seats too, so we have one facing each other over a table so one seat will always face forward (for me!) but we can both look out the window, when we aren't doing 250km an hour LOL

yay! although my fairfx card is now down 36 euros
Old 19 Mar 12, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsG26
Excited about Disney

Hi was just checking back in to see if u had added anything else in. We have decided to go to Venice on my birthday and do the gondola ride and then have a wander round st marks then go and have a lovely meal with a bellini or 2 thenn head back to the site early evening. It's the only way I can get to go to Venice without the oh moaning cos what the birthday girl wants the birthday girl gets lol! X
Dec 09/10: Xmas & New Year in Australia. 2010: La Croix Du Vieux Pont, Paris. 2011: Barbados, Duinrell & La Croix Du Vieux Pont 2012: Bella Italia, Lake Garda 2013: Tenerife 2014: Dubai, Benidorm 2015: New York , Orlando 2016: Tenerife, DLP 2017: Tenerife, Olu Deniz, Benalmadena 2018: Berlin, Tenerife, Dubai
MrsG26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List