Notices

Old 29 May 13, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida again
Apprentice Imagineer

Bringing back memories of when I lived in Washington DC, for a year when I was 18.

The Smithsonian, playing volleyball on the Mall, just in front of the Capitol building, spending time in Georgetown were all my regular haunts.

Many great things to do and see, which you seem to have covered. I was lucky enough to see the first inaugural of Bill Clinton in 1993 and came very close to being an extra/in the crowd for the film In The Line Of Fire, Clint Eastwood.

I lived just off Connecticut Ave between the National Zoo, Rock Creek Park and Chevy Chase. The best bagels I've ever had were from DC, The Chesapeake Bagel Company, think they might have closed now.

Arlington cemetery, the FBI building, Pentagon, Smithsonian, Capitol building, White House, Vietnam, Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln memorials all stand out to me as good places to visit. I've been up the Washington Monument and its a shame that is closed. Sounds like you're gonna need comfortable shoes I'll look forward to reading your trippie.

Our DIBBcast trip reveal video http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=758645
Florida again is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 13, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Looking forward to reading your report. We are planning on going next year, starting in NY then train down to DC. Plan is to hire a car for a couple of weeks and try to get to the Smokies before finishing off in DC and home. Sounds like you have got some great, and different activities planned.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by welovemushu View Post
Hey folks,
Watching this thread and grinning - our plan is so similar, but we are moving up & down and doing a lot of the same things in August, but missing everyone by days/hours!
Check this out:
18th August LHR to JFK
3 nights Doubletree Suites Times Square
19th August - Natural History Museum/Central Park/ TOTR booked for evening
20th August - 9hour see it all tour, SOL, 9/11 memorial and ESB included.
21st August - Train from Penn station to Union Station, Washington, National Mall in afternoon/evening
22nd August - Old Town Trolley Tours hoho bus
23rd August - Amtrak Overnight sleeper train to Orlando
24th August - Bahama Bay resort for 4 days then transfer to villa in Formosa Gdns
3rd September HOME!
Now I really fancy the sleeper train to Orlando, looking into that now
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney mum View Post
Now I really fancy the sleeper train to Orlando, looking into that now
I looked into the train from Washington to Orlando and it was really expensive for the two of us!

Got morning flights for £88 each. Might have got them a tiny bit cheaper if I waited.
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

Hey folks,
Watching this thread and grinning - our plan is so similar, but we are moving up & down and doing a lot of the same things in August, but missing everyone by days/hours!
Check this out:
18th August LHR to JFK
3 nights Doubletree Suites Times Square
19th August - Natural History Museum/Central Park/ TOTR booked for evening
20th August - 9hour see it all tour, SOL, 9/11 memorial and ESB included.
21st August - Train from Penn station to Union Station, Washington, National Mall in afternoon/evening
22nd August - Old Town Trolley Tours hoho bus
23rd August - Amtrak Overnight sleeper train to Orlando
24th August - Bahama Bay resort for 4 days then transfer to villa in Formosa Gdns
3rd September HOME!
Wow - so looks like the three of us Dibbers will be in Washington DC around the same time then
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
welovemushu
Very Serious Dibber

Yay, Hope Washington's ready for the Dibb invasion!
Sleeper train is on our bucket list, really looking forward to it!
Have a lovely time everyone!
Jan

Edited at 06:56 PM.
welovemushu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post

Yay, Hope Washington's ready for the Dibb invasion!
Sleeper train is on our bucket list, really looking forward to it!
Have a lovely time everyone!
Jan
Well I just looked at prices etc and not sure if we'll do it this trip or not, lot more expensive than flights and 21hrs travel, even though sleeping a fair bit not sure the kids will cope that long on a train, will add it to future trip ideas though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 13, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scottiedogz
Very Serious Dibber

I've only just skimmed this thread but wanted to add a few points:-
I dont think the national zoo will take all day even with children - apart from the pandas it is very much of a muchness.
Try the trolley bus tour - look on groupon for discounts - you can get on and off wherever you want.
Don't change your seats to row 18 - the seats are right next to the galley and constantly busy - we hated them.
Watch out at Baltimore aquarium - when busy they operate a timed entrance system that can really put your day out if you get a bad slot. You probably don't need to do both aquariums - Baltimore is big, and fantastic - look out for the free roaming sloth in the penthouse rainforest!
Have fun and take comfy shoes!

Miami - June 19, Orlando/Miami Oct 18, Washington DC Dec 17, DLP - Aug 17, Florida road trip - April 17, NY & QM2 Oct 16, Orlando - Nov 15 - Oct 14 - Nov 13 - Med Cruise (yuk - missed Florida) May 12, Washington DC Dec 12, Orlando - April 10, DLP - Dec 10, Orlando & wedding - Nov 08, DLP - Aug 07
scottiedogz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 May 13, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Loving this thread as we've also got a similar plan

28/9 Washington for 4 nights
Charlottesville for 4 nights
Hot Springs for 1 night
Charlottesville for 3 nights
Williamsburg for 4 nights
NYC for 5 nights (D'Tree, Times Sq)

TIP: if you go on the Smithsonian website, you can download & print floorplans of the museums & decide what you want to see/plan your route etc. (Apologies if you already knew this )
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 13, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
welovemushu
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Loving this thread as we've also got a similar plan

28/9 Washington for 4 nights
Charlottesville for 4 nights
Hot Springs for 1 night
Charlottesville for 3 nights
Williamsburg for 4 nights
NYC for 5 nights (D'Tree, Times Sq)

TIP: if you go on the Smithsonian website, you can download & print floorplans of the museums & decide what you want to see/plan your route etc. (Apologies if you already knew this )
This sounds great - perhaps the Doubletree should start to check how many Dibbers they are getting!
Thanks for the tip about the Smithsonian, I will take a look, as
there are so many different parts to it.
Have a great trip!

Jan
welovemushu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List