Notices

Old 10 Apr 14, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
wakeuplaura
Excited about Disney

NYC to Orlando - 14 Day Road Trip in June 2014

So I've finally decided to write a pre-trip report for my upcoming holiday to the USA!

I've previously been involved in another trip report - which dibb user, clarithy, is currently working on, but have decided that now is the time to start my very own!

To give you a little background...

My boyfriend, Stuart, and I (pictured above excited to be in Munich!) had previously talked about maybe going away this Summer, but no definite plans were discussed, or put in place.
We visited Berlin and Munich last November and had an absolute ball, but couldn't quite decide what our plans for 2014 would be...

THEN!

Stuart's sister, Karen, who is currently at University, managed to secure a placement in Myrtle Beach, SC, working in a hotel for six months. This got the wheels in my head thoroughly ticking away...!

We began planning a potential USA holiday that would include the beautiful Myrtle Beach in South Carolina!

It was then that the idea of a road trip came into my head!

We originally looked at flying to Atlanta, GA, then visiting Myrtle Beach and making our way up to NYC, but then as planning continued, we decided we would fly to NYC and make our way down to ORLANDO!

After looking for what felt like MONTHS, but was in actuality only around a few weeks, we finally decided to book our trip as a package through Barrhead Travel - as believe it or not, this was the cheapest way to do it!

So here is our itenerary:

June 17th - We fly from Edinburgh to Newark, then have 3 nights in NYC, staying at the Radio City Aparments

June 20th - We drive to SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE in New Jersey, spending the day there before heading to our hotel in Philadelphia, PA for 2 nights

June 22nd - Moving onto to Washington D.C. for 2 nights

June 24th - A stopover in Raleigh, NC for 1 night

June 25th - Driving to Myrtle Beach, SC for 2 nights of relaxation at the beach!

June 27th - Head to Savannah, GA for a historic evening there!

June 28th - Our final long drive to ORLANDO, FL! For 3 nights at the Best Western Orlando Gateway

July 1st - Our final moments in our car (a Jeep Cherokee Sport btw!) on the way to Orlando International Aiport, before our flight home via Newark.

July 2nd - Arrive back in Edinburgh early doors, as our amazing holiday will have come to an end

Stuart's sister, Karen, will be leaving Myrtle Beach with us and coming along for the ride to Savannah and Orlando, and she is flying back to Myrtle Beach the day before us

We've started to get some planning in place, but I will leave that for my next post!

What do you all think of our plans so far?

Thanks for reading! xx

UPDATES!
Update # 1 - Travel Plans Part 1
Update # 2 - Plans for NYC (Days 1-3)
Update # 3 - Plans for Six Flags/Philadelphia (Days 4 & 5)

Trippies: The Three Amigos Hit Florida - October 2012 by Dibb Member, clarithy
NEW East Coast Report - NYC to Orlando Road Trip June 2014

Edited at 02:04 PM.
wakeuplaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 14, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Sounds like a great holiday. I really want to do a road trip at some point so will be following your planning with interest.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 14, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
clarithy
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Dicko! That looks fab! Got a bit better idea of your trip! Can't wait for your trippie. Loving the jeep btw
clarithy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 14, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow sounds an awesome trip
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 14, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
wakeuplaura
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
Sounds like a great holiday. I really want to do a road trip at some point so will be following your planning with interest.
Glad to hear! I've always wanted to do a road trip too, and can't actually believe I'm finally going to get the chance!

Hope you enjoy reading

wakeuplaura is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 14, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
wakeuplaura
Excited about Disney

Just worked out how to multi-quote lol!

Originally Posted by clarithy View Post
Dicko! That looks fab! Got a bit better idea of your trip! Can't wait for your trippie. Loving the jeep btw
Thanks Clare - and glad you like the car choice! Not sure that pic is of the exact model, but it's defo close enough. Should be fun to drive! As long as we stay in the right lane

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
Wow sounds an awesome trip
Thanks! We can't wait - 9 weeks on Tuesday!

Old 11 Apr 14, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
wakeuplaura
Excited about Disney

Update #1

My first update is going to focus on our travel day, and first night in NYC!

Our flight from Edinburgh is around 9.30am, so we will leave the house at about 6am, and get a lift to the airport from one of our parents.

Once we arrive, we'll check-in and then head to the shops/duty-free/LOUNGE!

When we went to Berlin from Edinburgh last November, we decided to check out the lounge, as I have a Priority Pass card. We ended up having a great time, had a bite to eat for breakfast, some drinks, and some free wi-fi time on the phones before heading to the gate and getting on the plane!
Because the lounge is free for us - we might as well take advantage!

We might also have a look at duty-free, but chances are we will leave all the shopping for USA!

Stuart has also advised me that he is VERY ANTI-PLANE FOOD!

VISUAL REPRESENTATION OF HIS FEELINGS

I've told him that long-haul plane food has got a lot better, but he is insistent that he buy some scran from M&S before we get on the plane.

I've had a little search for some sort of idea what films/tv shows will be on the plane, and came up with this movie guide for May flights. I know we aren't going until June, but it gives a great idea of the amazing range of TV and Film that will be available! Stuart is upset that I will ignore him and just watch 3 films instead of talking with him though...

Once we arrive at Newark Airport (EWR), we will collect our bags, and try and get through immigration/security as quickly as possible - we've already done our ESTAs and both passports are up to date.

We will then catch the AirTrain to the Newark Liberty Airport Station, then the NJ TRANSIT to Penn Station, NYC! I think the fare is $12.50 each. We will also buy a 7-day Unlimited Pass MetroCard, which is $30 each, and although we are only there for 3 days, I think we will defo get our moneys worth, as you only need to ride 13 subway journeys, and you're better with the 7-day Pass.

We will then catch one more subway to reach our hotel, Radio City Apartments!

We have still to plan what we want to do on our first night, but I fancy doing Top of the Rock around sunset, and just having a general wander around to see what we can find

We've also just emailed our travel agent to enquire about changing hotels in NYC... as we've just realised that the Citizen M in Times Square has opened!

If you haven't heard of Citizen M before, it's a contemporary hotel chain, that we have previously stayed in in Glasgow, and loved! So we would love to stay here in New York, and be right in Times Square... ie closer to Olive Garden!

More to follow on our NYC plans soon...!

Old 11 Apr 14, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Gillz121
Apprentice Imagineer

Gillz121's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like a great plan! So many exciting places in one trip!
Gillz121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 14, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
This sounds like an amazing trip! So many wonderful places in one holiday!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Apr 14, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Dcool
Excited about Disney

Sounds like an adventure !
Dcool is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List