Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 19 Feb 17, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Florida in Europe? Disney (Cruise) and Theme Parks - Day 5 to Barcelona

Friday 21 August – to Barcelona

Woke up at 7.30 and finished the packing, we seem to have collected lots of extra stuff including food and drink. I put some things in the car and managed to fit the wine I had in our carry on bags so could enjoy it on the ship.
When Harriet was up we went for breakfast and then bought some postcards in the shop before checking out and getting in the car to travel to Barcelona. I decided to avoid the motorway and the tolls and take the more scenic coastal route, however after 20 minutes behind a lorry with no way of overtaking we changed our mind and joined the motorway.
We found the hotel (Eurostars Grand Marina) in Barcelona really easily thanks to my satnav at about 11.30am, checked in and requested a room with a view of the port and cruise ships. The room wasn’t ready so we left our luggage and drove the hire car back through the city to the Avis depot to drop it off, it was about 3 miles and took about 25 minutes, again really impressed how easy it was aided by the satnav. Returned car and had only used ¼ tank of fuel so was only charged for this, despite being worried that may get ripped off!

Heading out into the streets of Barcelona we found a MacDonald’s and shared 6 chicken nuggets, fries and drinks, then we walked south towards the Gothic part of the city and the hotel and sea.
The area we started in had lots of shopping and the upper market stores that Harriet loves, we stopped in Mango (one of my favourite clothes shops) and bought t-shirts, looked in Sephora and Mac but at this point I wasn’t paying £20+ for make up! We had an ice cream in Haagan Dazs which was the only way to stay cool!

Harriet decided it was too hot and didn’t want to go along with my plan to go to the Bari Goti / Gothic part of the city and I wasn’t sure where it was it relation to where we were! So we walked a bit further to the Playa Catalunya, down the Ramblas, looked in ‘La Boqueteria’ market and bought a phone cover with Barcelona on and a FCB (Barcelona Football club) post card!

Arrived back at the hotel at about 4pm and checked into room 740, nearly on the top floor and with a great view of the ships, MSC Divina, which Harriet had been on with her dad previously and a TUI/Mien Schiff ship, were docked.

We went up to floor 8 for a swim and sunbathe at the roof top pool.

(not sure why photos have the wrong date on, camera must be set up incorrectly)

Hotel room here was definitely 5*, 2 huge beds, big TV with English Disney channels, bathroom with Jacuzzi bath, double sinks, bidet etc. Very impressive and shame we are only here overnight!

We had showers and at 7pm walked to the Mare Magnum shopping mall next door to the hotel. First shop we saw had my Halloween perfume for €19, I’ve been buying this brand for years after my mum bought me some in Majorca, however its not easy to get in the UK so stock up whenever we are in Spain. Harriet bought a fragrance too from the Mango brand. More browsing and shopping for clothes and make up, we bought make up from Kiko a brand that we hadn’t seen before but is now one of my favourites especially as there are now some in the UK.
Looked around for places to eat and found an Italian with a terrace overlooking the marina where I had pizza and Harriet had pasta, we then bought Haagan Daz ice cream for pudding which we ate as we walked backed to the hotel.

Trying out Harriet's new selfie stick!

Went to bed after Harriet had watched TV, first time for nearly a week! We left the curtains open in the hotel rooms on the 7th floor and we could see the lights of the city, the port and ships. Although I was woken at 1am by a noisy family in a neighbouring room and closed the windows.

Edited at 03:37 PM. Reason: amend title
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Rereading this post prior to uploading the next day I thought it was worth pointing out that I have been to Barcelona twice before, both times as day trips from cruise ships.

Therefore have visited the main sites, the first time via a hop on hop off bus via the Sagradia church, Parc Guell and outside of the Nou Camp football ground.
The second time we got the metro up the hill to the Olympic Stadium area.
Whilst I had planned on this trip to see the nighttime light display at the Montjuic fountains and also visit the Gothic area, the heat and teenage daughter meant it wasn't to be.

I fully plan to revisit Barcelona one day in cooler weather as possibly as a solo traveller so I can see what I want to without interference!

Gillian.
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
plutofan1
Imagineer

Mobile

Have only just found your trip report and am loving reading it
Looks like you had a fab time so far
plutofan1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
That's kind of our thinking too (well, we don't have a teenager - but thinking of going on a dedicated trip when it's cooler).

We have never been to Barcelona but will only have a few hours there the night before our cruise. We are staying in an Ibis near the Sagrada Familia so hope to at least see the outside of it!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

What an amazing view! Sounds like a lovely hotel.

Last year was my first visit as an adult to Barcelona and I decided it was one of my favourite European cities. However, touring in August heat is not much fun!
Scruffette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
your hotel looks brilliant
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for this, Gillian. What a FAB view - and love the sound of the rooftop pool!

Two more things:

1. How impressed am I that you DROVE in Barcelona?! The very THOUGHT of driving in a strange city makes me come out in hives.

and

2. HALLOWEEN perfume? I just found the perfect birthday gift for my best girlfriend (she's a Halloween, um...fiend ).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Thanks for this, Gillian. What a FAB view - and love the sound of the rooftop pool!

Two more things:

1. How impressed am I that you DROVE in Barcelona?! The very THOUGHT of driving in a strange city makes me come out in hives.

2. HALLOWEEN perfume? I just found the perfect birthday gift for my best girlfriend (she's a Halloween, um...fiend ).
Thanks for comments, was a cool pool! with a great view.

I had my satnav and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be in the City, partly because traffic moves slowly!

My mums birthday is Halloween and she first bought it for me years ago, I like having a fragrance that no one in the UK else has!

Gillian
Old 3 May 18, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Coming back to this now after our cruise. I wish we had found time for La Boqueria but we did manage Sagrada Familia.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List