Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 6 Nov 18, 05:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Tea
Imagineer

QM2 Cunard line Short trip

as part of my birthday treat to myself, my sister and I went on a 3 night short cruise on board the QM2 from Southampton to Bruges.

I have never cruised before and was super excited to cruise with Cunard as I had always wanted to experience that old fashioned glamour of a bygone era.

Highs:
-Cabin was great, roomy, well located, had everything.
-Free bottle of champagne in the room; not sure why but won't look a gift horse in the mouth!
- Staff were so nice. Our cabin steward was amazing.
- Bruges was beautiful and weather was good.
- Facilities were excellent and opulent. The pool areas were fantastic, and the bars and lounges were relaxing. I loved the theatre and the planetarium
- Activities were interesting for the most part.
- Everyone was very stylishly dressed. I really enjoyed dressing for dinner and for the gala ball.

Lows:
- The food, while plentiful, was fairly non-descript. There was plenty of variety but there was nothing really outstanding and delicious.
- My sister is vegan, and while I appreciate this can be difficult to accommodate, we did call in advance, and asked several times in restaurant and reception, and we were reassured that she could get dinner and most especially afternoon tea. Long story short, dinner ion first night and afternoon tea were atrocious.
- We docked for both days in Zeebrugge,rather than have a sea day which I would have preferred.
- We experienced racism, which has never happened to me in my life before. We were in the lift going to dinner. The lift went down to the first (ground) floor and the door opened. It looked like a staff area, with lino and waiters hurrying around. Someone said "oops wrong floor". I said "Oh, are we allowed to be here?"
The doors shut and we went up to 2nd floor. A man behind us got out at this floor and as he was leaving he said "That is where they put the Irish" and then he was gone behind the closing doors. My sister and I were really upset, and the other English people in the lift seemed shocked.

I would give it 6/10. It was interesting. I'm glad we did it but not sure I would go again.

Edited at 05:35 AM.
Tea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Glad you had a good time we've been to Bruges and it's nice for a day stop. We bought some delicious chocolate

It was the passengers aboard Cunard ships that made me never want to sail with them again, sadly. Quite a few were very rude and condescending to us, which ultimately ruined our holiday as it set my anxiety off big time. Sounds like you experienced similar with the racism! I appreciate it's probably only a few of them but I didn't experience anything like it on the other cruises I was on. I think it's a snobbery thing - not too sure but I wasn't impressed.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I too have cruised Cunard (just a short taster trip of 2 nights) and to say I was disappointed was an understatement. Rude guests, unfriendly staff and a ripped pillowcase (sounds really minor but I was expecting quality). At that time I'd only ever experienced DCL so was expecting it to be so much more but DCL comes first, followed by RCI then Carnival with Cunard being at the bottom.

It's unlikely I would ever travel with them again.
margyloveswdw is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Thanks for your review, Tea. I think you've just reconfirmed my decision that whilst we are slowly working our way through the cruise companies to try them all out, we won't be trying Cunard.

How awful that you experienced such blatant casual racism, joking or not it's just not on!
I imagine Cunard cruises to be way too formal for me from what I've read elsewhere and I've read of snobbery galore.
I don't really do getting dressed up, even on other lines we dont do formal nights, so I think the whole Cunard experience would have me standing out like a sore thumb and subect to a bit of snobbery and 'judging books by covers'.
Designer clothes and jewellery, handbags etc, and how you look isn't the be all and end all to me. I choose not to spend my money on these things but each to their own, for me as long as I'm clean and my clothes are clean and decent / not disrespectful for the ocassion is enough
But that's fine as there are plenty of other cruise lines to go at!

Glad you enjoyed your highs!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List