Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 23 Dec 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Big Summer Blowout: Norwegian Fjord Cruise 2018 Day 6 - Stavanger

Index

Friday 31st August 2018

Uncharacteristically for me, I woke up at 3am and had trouble getting back to sleep. Both Jo and I were woken at 7am when we arrived in Stavanger, our next port of call, and the boarding ramps were put down. This was the only issue with the location of this room, although this was the only day of the trip that it happened.

Stavanger

After dozing until about 8:30am I eventually got up and did the coffee run up to deck 9. By the time I got back Isabella was up, so we had our coffee and milk, and then got ready for breakfast.

At Isabella’s suggestion, breakfast this morning was to be at Lumiere’s. We arrived at about 9:20am and were seated. Breakfast in Lumiere’s is like eating at a ‘real’ restaurant, but unlike the rotation for dinner, anyone can go and be seated anywhere - you don’t have to sit at your usual table, or sit with your table mates.

Isabella had gone for Dale’s Omelet - a two-egg omelet filled with turkey sausage, sweet corn kernels and hash browns.

Jo opted for the traditional Eggs Benedict - a toasted English muffin with grilled Canadian bacon served with a poached egg topped with Hollandaise sauce, grilled Roma tomatoes and link sausages.

After some deliberation I went for ‘The Big Breakfast’ - a large filled omelet on savory toast with grilled tomato, bacon and baked beans topped with caramelised onions.

While we waited for our food, the server brought round pastries and our coffee. When the food arrived, it wasn’t as hot as we would’ve liked, and after five days of delicious Cabanas buffet breakfasts this was a major let down.

Dale’s Omelet

Eggs Benedict - not as nice as it looks!

The Big Breakfast - as nice as it looks!

Once the breakfast disappointment was over, we popped back to the room, picked up our stuff, and headed off the ship - the time was about 10am.

Last time we visited Stavanger on our previous Disney Magic Norwegian cruise we visited the Petroleum Museum (Norsk Oljemuseum) and really enjoyed it. On this visit we planned to visit again, so that was our destination.

Sears on land

Some of the sights of Stavanger

Al Gore has surprisingly small feet

Remember where we parked!

We took the same route as last time including walking down the colourful Øvre Holmegate with it’s multi-coloured artistic doorways and trendy shops - it’s like walking through Shoreditch - and 20 minutes later we’d arrived.

Øvre Holmegate

Entry cost us about 300NOK (Norwegian Krone) - equivalent to about £30 - and just like last time, upon entry we got our scavenger hunt sheet, and had a lot of fun exploring the museum, finding the clues, and learning about fossil fuels and Norway in general. For Isabella a lot of this felt new to her - she’d forgotten a lot from our previous visit.

About an hour and a half in the museum and Isabella needed a snack. We’d bought a doughnut off the ship with us, so we headed outside to sit in the sun while she ate.

Reinvigorated, we headed back inside so that she could hand in her scavenger hunt sheet and claim her prize, a mineral. Last time we did this, she got her ‘lucky’ mineral but we never found out what it actually was. We even spent about an hour searching through the minerals gallery at the Natural History Museum but to no avail! So we asked the lady, but she didn’t know - apparently there minerals are supplied by a Swedish company and don’t come with any descriptions!

The last thing to do at the museum was watch the film. Last time there had been a scientific and educational film about oil and petrol. This time around it had been replaced by a dramatic short film called ‘Oil Kid/Oljeunge’ concerning a father and son both affected by the Norwegian oil boom of the 1970s. It was fairly surreal but Jo enjoyed it.

Norsk Oljemuseum
Old 23 Dec 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Drill heads

Inside the museum

Interactive exhibits

Scavenger hunt

Playtime!

Pessimist v optimist!

Can you guess what it is yet?!
Old 23 Dec 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Time was getting on for 1 o’clock so we decided to head back to the ship, taking a bit of a detour to try and find a Starbucks to get our Norway ‘wish you were here’ mug - so far we’d been unsuccessful. We were unsuccessful this time too, but we knew there was another Starbucks closer to where the ship was docked, so we headed that way which took us through a park next to the cathedral.

Walking through the park, we saw that there were a lot of seagulls, pigeons and swans on the lake in the park. We heard a bit of a commotion and turned around to see a teenage girl on the other side of the lake literally being attacked by a seagull! The poor girl was running away from it but it had obviously taken a real dislike to her and chased her for at least 100 metres!

Feathered hoodlums

Selfie

Wooden croc

We managed to get through the park without being assaulted by any feathered hoodlums, and headed into the Starbucks. Success at last! We found the cup we were after, and while there (and as we had Krone left over) thought that we would buy a couple of Grande Caramel Cheesecake Frappuccinos.

Isabella and I waited for the coffee, while Jo paid. The server gave Jo more change than the money that she’d given her! Not being overly familiar with their money, it took a few minutes for Jo to register what had happened. Once she realised, Jo went back to tell the server, but ended having to queue up longer than when she’d originally made the order. Eventually she got to the front of the line, but it was a different server, so she had to wait for the original server to explain what had happened. The servers were very appreciative of Jo’s honesty, although they didn’t offer us any complimentary coffee….

We enjoyed our drinks, sitting on the steps of the square overlooking the Disney Magic moored a few hundred meters away. When planning this day we had considered visiting the canning museum which is almost opposite where the ship was docked, but time (and money) dictated that we head back to the ship.

Success at last!

Grande Caramel Cheesecake Frappuccino

Back to the ship

Back on board, our first port of call was Cabanas where we had a lovely lunch - complete with dessert - that made up for the disappointing Lumiere’s breakfast. We finished up, then made our way back to our room for some chill out time. I wrote up my notes while Isabella (and Jo) watched Descendants.

Lunch
Old 23 Dec 18, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Later in the afternoon Isabella wanted to go and do the ‘Sloppy Science’ activity in the Oceaneers Lab. After dropping her off I continued with my notes, but she had only been there for half an hour before we got a message saying she wanted picking up - it turned out be Open House, meaning the ‘Sloppy Science’ wasn’t only for children with their parents.

When she got back to the room she said had a little headache, so we gave her some travel Calpol which perked her up a bit - the promise of her Frozen chocolate may have also helped!

Feeling better, she wanted to go to the pool. We got her ready and took her up to the main pool where she really wanted to go on the water slide. I took her up the steps to the top, waited for it to almost be her turn, then waited for her at the bottom.

Slide away

When it was her turn she absolutely loved it - I could hear her screaming all the way down! Once she’d done it once, she wanted to go straight back up and do it again. I went and sat with Jo, who’d got us some loungers with a good view of the top of the slide - where we could see Isabella waiting (and waving at us!).

With Isabella having fun, and Jo wrapped up on the lounger (it was actually a little chilly up on deck 9) I went off to get us a drink of the day. I had intended to keep track of what they were from day to day, but that idea got cast aside somewhere around day two!

Cheers!

Wrapped up warm!

After a few more goes on the slide, Isabella wanted to spend a bit of time in the pool. At about 5pm Jo headed back to the room to have a shower and start getting ready for dinner. I gave Isabella another 15 minutes in the pool and then she got out, dried off, and we headed back to the room.

Jo was getting ready when we got back; Isabella and I got ready too and then we headed out for dinner, which tonight was at Animator’s Palate. Surprisingly, in contrast to our previous trips on the Disney Magic, Animator’s Palate was our favourite dinner destination.

We arrived and were seated at our usual table. Tonight was the special animation dinner, where we all get to draw a character and watch them animate. To allow us time to do our drawings, there is no choice required for appetizers - everyone is served the Appetizer Sampler Platter (there's a different version for the kids), consisting of smoked duck breast with pickled red onions and dried cranberries, dill-marinated shrimp with tomato-mayonnaise and horseradish, and smoked salmon tartar with sour cream and cream cheese.

Our characters

Appetizer Sampler

Kids appetizer Sampler

Our drawings were collected and our food arrived. We had ordered the following mains:

Jo & I: Roasted filet of Beef Wellington (covered with mushroom stuffing wrapped in puff pastry served with fingerling potatoes, baby vegetables, and a cabernet black truffle jus)

Isabella: Baked salmon (with wholegrain rice, steamed broccoli, and fresh watermelon)

Beef Wellington

Baked salmon

After putting in our orders the screens around the room starting showing a montage of Disney and Pixar animations. As I may have mentioned on our previous visit to Animator’s Palate our table was perfectly placed to see these montages close up.

Disney/Pixar clips

Janey appeared with our drinks, bringing Isabella another Shirley Temple. She persevered but it was obvious she wasn’t a fan!

The food at dinner was really good again. Now it was time for dessert - Isabella ordered the decorate your own cupcake (with whipped cream, strawberry sauce and white chocolate curls).

Jo went for the very cherry chocolate sundae (vanilla ice cream topped with dark cherry compote, chocolate fudge sauce and whipped cream) and I opted for the celebration cake.

Isabella and her Shirley Temple

Decorate your own cupcake

Very cherry chocolate sundae

Celebration cake

Dessert arrived, and so did Jonny with his magic trick that he’d promised Isabella for the last couple of nights - he needed to learn a new one apparently!

Magic!

Also during dessert was the animation show, where all the characters drawn by the guests animated on the screens around the room - all except our table mates, who wanted to get good seats for tonight’s show, so had decided not to draw a character and left before dessert.

After another enjoyable dinner we headed down the Walt Disney Theatre - with a brief stop in Shutters to laugh at some of the photos that we’d had taken recently on board - where there was pin trading with the officers.

Sorcerer Mickey introduces our character animations

Bad photos!

Good photo

During the trading we got talking to an officer from England. Once she’d traded her five pins, we took Isabella into Mickey’s Mainsail where she bought a couple of tsum tsums - Mickey & Minnie - and a pin, and also got a blind bag pin which usually you are ‘allowed’ to buy when you spend over $30, the server let us buy one anyway, even though we hadn’t spent that much.

Tsum tsums

Pin trading

Daisy was meeting up on deck 4, so that was our next destination. Unfortunately we missed her as she was swapping with Donald as we arrived. Isabella was happy to meet Donald instead - looking dapper in his evening suit.

We headed down to the Promenade Lounge next to sit down and have a drink. We found a seat and I ordered us a drink of the day for Jo, a non-alcoholic drink of the day for Isabella, and an Einstok Icelandic White Ale for me - which caused some delay as they didn’t have any at the bar, but went off to get one from another bar.

It was getting on for 9pm now so we finished up our drinks and made our way back to the room. While I headed back up to deck 9 to get decaf coffee, Isabella got ready for bed, and Jo wrote out the room service for the morning.

Isabella went to sleep, and then Jo and I followed suit at about 10:30pm.

That was our last port visit, tomorrow we’ll be at sea as we head back to Dover.

Thanks for reading.
Old 24 Dec 18, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

That Beef Wellington looks really good.

Stavanger looks like an interesting place.

Am I the only one that thinks Donald looks odd without a hat?!😂

Thanks for sharing.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Another great day!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafour
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

So interesting to read a different destination trippie. Thanks for posting, I love your reports they are a great read. You all look so happy 🙂
Floridafour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
That Beef Wellington looks really good.

Stavanger looks like an interesting place.

Am I the only one that thinks Donald looks odd without a hat?!😂

Thanks for sharing.
Stavanger is great - one of my favourite places I think.

You're right, Donald does look odd without a hat; he's fine without trousers though!

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Another great day!
TFR

Originally Posted by Floridafour View Post
So interesting to read a different destination trippie. Thanks for posting, I love your reports they are a great read. You all look so happy 🙂
Thank you for your comments, glad you enjoyed reading.
Old 10 Feb 19, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We said exactly the same about Donald, no hat!

Looks like a lovely day with a great balance of port time and ship time.

Our breakfast in Lumiere's wasn't hot either, so we sent it back. We were the only ones in there so it was a bit like being in a goldfish bowl!

The animation show is just incredible, isn't it?
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We said exactly the same about Donald, no hat!

Looks like a lovely day with a great balance of port time and ship time.

Our breakfast in Lumiere's wasn't hot either, so we sent it back. We were the only ones in there so it was a bit like being in a goldfish bowl!

The animation show is just incredible, isn't it?
Yes, love that animation show. We weren't fans of AP in the past, but this time around it was our favourite.

TFR