Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Feb 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
A letter of consent for a 17 year old is worthless and pointless as they can travel and make their own decisions without parental consent.
The only exception is, if they had a disability that gave them the mentality lower than a 16 year old.
They can go through customs on their own, check in on their own and nobody would give a second thought. At 16+ they could even take their own child without anyone elses permission.
That is simply poor advice. Immigration have a duty of care to under 18's. Yes risk is less with a 17 year old and an officer may not even ask. But to suggest it's worthless and no one would give her a second thought is inaccurate.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 05:41 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
That is simply poor advice. Immigration have a duty of care to under 18's. Yes risk is less with a 17 year old and an officer may not even ask. But to suggest it's worthless and no one would give her a second thought is inaccurate.
I am sure it would be an issue for medical treatment as well. Every time my 16 year old daughter sees a new doctor here I have to sign numerous forms and let them take a copy of MY photo ID.
Old 25 Feb 19, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Is getting a letter from her parents going to cause any problem? If not, I would say it’s better to have something and not need it. It’s probably fair to say that not all immigration staff have a full understanding of the law and it’s not worth getting into a stressful debate with them. If I had a choice between an argument about who’s right or wrong or whipping out a letter and being on my way, I know which I’d choose.
Old 25 Feb 19, 07:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Home office guidance says to bring a letter from the other parents:
https://www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad

This Telegraph article also useful snd contains a link to a form you can use:
telegraph/travel/f...erent-surname/

Also airlines are free to make up their own rules (for example some will allow over 14s to travel on their own whilst for others you have to be 16) so I would also check with the airline for what is needed.

I wouldnt want to get into arguments at UK or US borders or with checkin staff.

Also - off topic - make sure she has her own travelinsurance and that you have medical consent authority as suggested previously.
Old 25 Feb 19, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

We have looked at this quite a bit over the years in relation to travelling with my step daughter. It wouldn’t have always been straight forward to get permission of her Father to travel abroad.
When we took her to the US when she was 9 (2011) the only thing we did was take our marriage certificate and the child’s birth certificate to prove motherhood as they had different surnames. We were never asked any questions at either end.
We took her when she was 11 as well in 2013. The difference was that later in the trip she flew form Florida to New York and then Home to The UK with her grandparents (again different surnames) so we went the whole hog and got a letter from her mother notarised. However, apart from being asked her relationship on return from the UK they had no issues. They never produced the letter.
She was 16 on our last trip in October travelling with her Morher and I. We didnt get anything from her Father as the relevant child abduction laws in the UK only apply to a child under 16. She has a different surname to the rest of us travelling and no one in the us or uk batted an eyelid.
The telegraph guidance quoted above is interesting though. We have never had issues travelling anywhere without the permission of her Father but that may be just our experience.
Personally o would get a signed letter from her parents if it’s convenient to do so but also do not think you will have any issues at all providing the persons travelling with you does not present as vulnerable and can speak for herself.
I vaguely remember that cruise lines can be very strict on requirements if not travelling with either parent but can’t remember the specifics.

Edited at 01:55 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Siddex
Very Serious Dibber

Siddex's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Going to get a letter from her parents, as that is very easy to do. This would also cover any medical issues if they arose.
Siddex is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
robby-99
Very Serious Dibber

Shamima Begun and friends were 15 when they left Uk to join ISIS. I don't think they had a note from their parents and border patrol didn't stop them.
robby-99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by robby-99 View Post
Shamima Begun and friends were 15 when they left Uk to join ISIS. I don't think they had a note from their parents and border patrol didn't stop them.
Also a difference I think, however daft it might sound, when a minor travel alone (and there are airlines allowing minors on their own as young as 14) or travelling with adults that dont have same surname - or travelling with just one parent. I think this is because of child abduction or trafficking.
I am also sure 9 out of 10 are not asked - but in case I am the 10th I rather have a letter with me. Sometimes the border or checkin staff will get “something in their head” and dont take it lightly when you start arguing... Not the same situation but I had a really stressful moment once with an US “official” before even reaching the checkin desk at Manchester because I was travelling on a Swedish passport. He was not going to let me board unless I produced a utility bill (!) to prove my residency in UK. When I (not confrontational) asked why - because Swedish citizens can travel to US on Esta (this was before Esta but same thing). He bellowed “maam, the US rules applies here - not Sweden!” ... So totally wrong and irrational but nevertheless the onus was on me to carry some kind of proof (like we all travel with a utility bill!)