Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Natsynoo's Perfect Panamian Adventure: DCL EBPC Oct 2018 - Day 12 Cartagena

After a long, busy day yesterday, we were ready for a rest today – but it was a port day so it was not meant to be!

Instead, Matt was already up doing laundry when I woke at 7.15am, and feeling guilty, I got up to help and then we got ready for our day in Cartagena, Colombia. We were ready to go at 9.30am. By the way, the laundry was $13 which covered two washes, two dries, and a pack of fabric softener sheets.

We headed up to a packed Cabanas for breakfast, everyone was excited to set foot on land after a few days, especially since Puerto Vallarta was cancelled due to the hurricane.

IMG_1592 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We were taking an organised excursion today, so we headed to the D Lounge at 10.10am ready for our 10.30am departure. We decided on an excursion instead of self-touring because I just didn’t feel comfortable navigating this port myself. I had read some things about rogue taxi drivers and it just felt a bit iffy, so for the sake of $28 each to go on a ‘best bits’ type sightseeing tour, it seemed worth it!

IMG_1595 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

After getting everyone checked in, we were on our coach at 10.50am, and headed out on our tour. Our first stop was Getsemani, a very historical area of Cartagena, but it was a bit ‘shabby’. That being said, the properties there are worth millions because of the associated history and the fact that it’s part of a UNESCO Heritage Site.

IMG_1598 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1597 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1596 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

20181028_114143 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

20181028_111740 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Our next stop was Castillo San Felipe de Barajas, another key part of the history of the city. This place was rife with people selling ‘stuff’ but Matt and I just steered clear. After some photos, we got straight on the bus.

IMG_1611 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1604 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

20181028_115757 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1603 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1602 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Next up was the Old Town. This was more like what I ‘expected’ of Colombia, with the colourful architecture. We learned specifically how it related to the pirate culture and the Spanish Inquisition. Whilst here, I saw a hat that I bought my Mum. I got it down from $50 to $10 with my shrewd haggling skills

IMG_1618 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1617 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1616 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1615 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Our final stop was the New Town. This part of the tour was not what we expected, and a bit frustrating, because we didn’t actually see the New Town. Rather, we were dropped at an emerald jewellery store where we were ‘stuck’ for an hour until it was time to leave.

All in all, we’re glad we visited Cartagena but next time, we would probably stick to the ‘zoo’ type area at the port rather than venturing further afield. It rained on and off all day, as it was their rainy season, but it was nice and warm at least.

It was also really nice to see the ship from a different angle!

IMG_1634 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1631 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1628 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

20181028_143349 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We were back on board the ship at 2.30pm and headed straight for some lunch. We had some chicken tenders and a slice of pizza, and I also had a Princess Delight non-alcoholic cocktail which cost $5.69.

IMG_1637 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1636 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1639 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We sat on deck watching Funnel Vision for a while, as it wasn’t really the right weather to sunbathe, but it was nice to relax nonetheless. At 4pm, we headed back to the stateroom to get ready.

After our usual Deck 4 photos, we headed to the Walt Disney Theatre to watch Max Winfrey, comedy juggler. I am convinced we have seen him before on board but I need to dig out the old Navigators to check!

20181028_175207 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

20181028_175125_Fotor by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1643 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We also bumped into Chip & Dale, and Minnie & Pluto – cute!

20181028_175722_Fotor by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

20181028_174953_Fotor by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We then headed down to Azure to take part in the 80s music trivia. Another terrible effort but it’s the taking part that counts, right?! In Azure, we ordered one soft drink, which was $2.01.

It was Frozen night tonight, so we sat on Deck 9 for a little while to watch the end of the Frozen Deck Party…it was very windy so the snow was blowing right at us, and it was a bit rocky tonight too, but we don’t really suffer from that too much.

Tonight was very exciting as we were dining at Palo. I booked that for tonight deliberately, knowing that we don’t like the Frozen dinner menu. Again, absolutely worth the $100 price tag ($35 each plus we leave a $30 tip).

20181028_220759_Fotor by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

20181028_220749 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

I had to start with a Kir Royale – I always do at Palo 

20181028_205634_Fotor by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

The food was once again phenomenal. Naturally, we started with the amazing bread basket and antipasti (extra parmesan and meats because we don’t like the artichokes).

20181028_203230 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

IMG_1644 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

I started with the Calamari

IMG_1646 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

And enjoyed the Veal Stuffed Pasta course too

IMG_1647 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Matt had the Arancini to start (but was disappointed that they were stuffed with mozzarella like the ones at Brunch the other day)

20181028_205802 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

And then had the Arrabiatta

20181028_211915 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We both enjoyed the Rack of Lamb for Entrée

20181028_213419 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

As ever, we had the lemon sorbet palate cleanser

IMG_1648 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

And ended the meal with the incredible Chocolate Soufflé

IMG_1651 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

We took our time at the meal, really enjoying it, and were so stuffed afterwards that we decided to call it a night and go straight to bed. To be fair, it was 11pm. What a great day!

IMG_1652 by Natalie Pope, on Flickr

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mobeckwith
Imagineer

busy day,shame about bits of the trip though,paleo is on my bucket list(as is a disney cruise,looks amazing,and you do have some lovely dresses natalie x
mobeckwith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Who did you have as your Palo server for dinner? Our favourite on the Wonder is Suzanna from Portugal.

We didn't like Cartagena at all - way too much hassle from the locals and I came close to lamping a few of them when they touched me and tried to pull me (us) towards them. Awful place and wouldn't bother getting off the ship next time (Oooh next time .. yay)!
Old 6 Dec 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mobeckwith View Post
busy day,shame about bits of the trip though,paleo is on my bucket list(as is a disney cruise,looks amazing,and you do have some lovely dresses natalie x
Palo is phenomenal and cruising is amazing - you must do it!
Ah thank you! I have acquired quite a collection of dresses, I love a chance to dress up, which is one of the reasons I love cruising and choose to dress up even on casual nights!

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Who did you have as your Palo server for dinner? Our favourite on the Wonder is Suzanna from Portugal.

We didn't like Cartagena at all - way too much hassle from the locals and I came close to lamping a few of them when they touched me and tried to pull me (us) towards them. Awful place and wouldn't bother getting off the ship next time (Oooh next time .. yay)!
We had Claudius from India. He'd only been up there for a couple of months though, and he was just fantastic. He joined the company as a pot washer 10 years ago and has worked his way up to Palo! An amazing story!

Yes Cartagena is not somewhere we'd rush back to but it's great to say we have now visited South America!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Dec 18, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post

I'm always nervous to haggle! Sad you didn't see what you hoped but another good day!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Dec 18, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by princesschazy View Post
I'm always nervous to haggle! Sad you didn't see what you hoped but another good day!
Haha it helped that I speak Spanish because they don't speak English lol, but they were asking like $50 or $100 and no-one is ever going to pay that! Our guide had also said at the beginning of the trip that we must be sure to haggle!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 3 Apr 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
HiddenMickey35
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Oh that is shame that Puerto Vallarta was cancelled.

We never been at Cartagena

May 2008, that the weather was good and only raining one evening at Mexico. that is all but I do remember when we arrived LA as the weather was cold and we all had to wear cardigan and I bought Disney jacket. (still have it lol)..

Anyway, good photos of food and I love Palo... it is great foods.
DCL 6-9April 06,DCL on 18 July 07, Medi.,DCL on 15 Nights Panama Canal - Westbound< May 08, NEW YORK NOV 24-30TH WITH 5 LADIES :, DCL on 3 July '10 for 8 days Dover to Barcelona RCCI - FOS 10 April '11, Spendlour of the Seas, 19 July 2013,Disney Magic 14 Nights WB Tranny Sep 6, 2014, Jamaica June 12-23, 2018, RC Cruise, Halloween 2019, Mexico with groups, Sept 2022, DCL Nowhere on 27th July 2021 for 3 nights?, Anthem of the Seas, Norweigian Fjords Cruise, May 2022

Edited at 09:06 PM.
HiddenMickey35 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
your evening meal looks fab
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by HiddenMickey35 View Post
Oh that is shame that Puerto Vallarta was cancelled.

We never been at Cartagena

May 2008, that the weather was good and only raining one evening at Mexico. that is all but I do remember when we arrived LA as the weather was cold and we all had to wear cardigan and I bought Disney jacket. (still have it lol)..

Anyway, good photos of food and I love Palo... it is great foods.
It was but it's not a hardship to stay on board!
Cartagena was not our favourite port but worth a visit, we would visit the gardens next time.
It was pretty rainy on this cruise, that would be my only grumble I think, but you can't help Mother Nature!

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
your evening meal looks fab
Thank you! The food is all yummy! But Palo is very special!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 10 Feb 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Palo looks amazing 😋