Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 20 Feb 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
So, if you ordered a non-alcoholic drink (or, even, a bottle of water) from Dockside Diner would you be expected to tip for that?
I don’t believe so. For me the general rule of thumb is the complexity of making the drink I’ve ordered. If it’s premixed, fountain or bottled, I wouldn’t usually tip. If it’s a cocktail specifically mixed for me, I’d tip.

(to be clear this is QS; i would always tip on the full bill even if I ordered only Coke at a table service.)

Edited at 11:58 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 19, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
I don’t believe so. For me the general rule of thumb is the complexity of making the drink I’ve ordered. If it’s premixed, fountain or bottled, I wouldn’t usually tip. If it’s a cocktail specifically mixed for me, I’d tip.

(to be clear this is QS; i would always tip on the full bill even if I ordered only Coke at a table service.)
Thanks for the response. Presumably you would feel that a beer would class the same as a coke at a QS i.e. no tip?

I have only ever bought 2 alcoholic drinks in Disney (both at EPCOT), one beer at UK outside the fish and chip shop and one beer at the booth by Canada. I didn't tip on either occasion.

We are on QSDP this year and, now that it includes alcohol, am I supposed to tip for a drink with my meal?

Tipping is a minefield that often defies logic.
Old 21 Feb 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Thanks for the response. Presumably you would feel that a beer would class the same as a coke at a QS i.e. no tip?

I have only ever bought 2 alcoholic drinks in Disney (both at EPCOT), one beer at UK outside the fish and chip shop and one beer at the booth by Canada. I didn't tip on either occasion.

We are on QSDP this year and, now that it includes alcohol, am I supposed to tip for a drink with my meal?

As said, Quick Service locations such as those you mention cannot accept tips. Only places that are noted as "lounges" or "bars" are allowed to accept tips (and table service of course) and here you would tip for anything alcoholic including beer. Completely understand why we get confused over there as its really difficult to work out where is one and where is another. Rule of thumb for me is unless the receipt has a "tip" area then its a Quick Service and I shouldn't be tipping.
Old 21 Feb 19, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Thanks Gismo. I didn't realise the Canada beer outlet was classed as QS but great to know. Obviously, its not a bar or lounge though.
Old 21 Feb 19, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

I don’t drink beer so I’ve never really considered the tipping etiquette for them however if ordered in a QS setting, I wouldn’t tip, but in a bar setting I would tip (and indeed did tip on the cost of a round including beer at our resort bar during our last trip).
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Thanks Gismo. I didn't realise the Canada beer outlet was classed as QS but great to know. Obviously, its not a bar or lounge though.
Yep. Its weird what is classed as a QS to me but they are. Very few "in park" places are classed as bars or lounges to be honest unless they are a full bar like the Rose and Crown.