Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 Jul 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

DAS / RAP - what if they say no?

Hi,

With a few days to go my DS's "issues" have hit high which we expected and now I'm on the verge of a breakdown:-)

He has sensory issues and has lots to do with childrens mental health.
I've written a bullet pointed list of what we do and what can happen hence not being able to queue conventionally.

Parks here in the UK (visited to prepare DS) were fab and accepted the DLA letter no questions but I'm worried if Disney say no.

Has this happened to anyone?

We visited in 2014 when he was 6 and actually that started this whole process as managed just a few hours in the parks.

He's the middle of 5 kids and we are trying to prepare/plan asmuch as possible do the others don't miss too much.
DS needs both parents at times - if it's all too much and he escalates t speed which he does we will need to possibly remove and hold :-(

so original question - has anyone been refused and what did they do to manage?
LouH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

They won't refuse. Our daughter has Spina bifida and has catheters every three hours. Her only limitation is the catheter. The first aid area at each park is really good too. They don't question what you say and don't ask for letters. Pretty sure they are not allowed to.
We have got a Dissibility pass twice in two different parks. They are valid for admission ticket duration.

Just go to guest services as you enter park. Seriously not worth worrying about.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
They won't refuse. Our daughter has Spina bifida and has catheters every three hours. Her only limitation is the catheter. The first aid area at each park is really good too. They don't question what you say and don't ask for letters. Pretty sure they are not allowed to.
We have got a Dissibility pass twice in two different parks. They are valid for admission ticket duration.

Just go to guest services as you enter park. Seriously not worth worrying about.
THats promising thank you for this.

Every discussion is leading to chaos at the minute with him and I think he’s overloaded... I’m hoping it comes out before I wake him Thursday morning cos that’s not gonna help

The things we parents do...
LouH is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 04:28 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Please don't worry the DAS is for people like your son and I am sure you will have no problems getting it. They are not allowed to ask for or look at a letter due to very strong disability laws here. The only people I have heard of being turned away had simple mobility issues best helped by using a wheelchair.
Don't get into a long explanation if you can keep it simple by saying he can't handle queues because of sensory problems/ autism or whatever is appropriate. He needs to be with you for them to take a picture and then they scan everyone's band or ticket. You could discuss his needs privately with the cast member while he waits separately if that helps. The cast members deal with DAS passes every day and are very kind.

I hope all goes well for you.
Old 30 Jul 18, 06:44 AM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you so much for this.

Helps to know not to witter I’m actually as that makes it worse.
He hates hearing about what he is capable of because he can’t control it :-(

Thanks again!

Roll on first morning now (Friday) - we pray this is a great holiday, 2014 was awful 😭
Old 30 Jul 18, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Just as others have said just stick to the facts and they will issue a DAS, it can be a lifeline in situations.

My DD hates hearing us explaining her limitations and we don't like doing it in front of her, we try to explain that she is unique but she sees it as different and concentrates on what she cant do rather then what she can do.

I hope that this holiday is amazing for you all
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzzy
Very Serious Dibber

dizzzy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I echo what everyone else has said. My daughter has mental health issues that makes queueing very difficult for her. We've never had any problems getting das for her. We just explain why she struggles with queues and they've always been happy to help.

The only time we've not been able to get it was for Mk's after hours party but that's because it's limited numbers allowed in and as such the pass isn't available. This wasn't an issue though as the park was so quiet and we got straight on most rides

I hope you all have a great holiday.
dizzzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 18, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SiandAm
Imagineer

In 2016 Disney did indeed refuse a DAS for someone in our party that had had a severe truma just a few months before ( it's not my place to go into details but she definitely warranted one and required one)
The lady that we dealt with was very unsympathetic and implied that her needs were exagarrated. It was very stressful at the time. So it does happen. We did get a very big apology from Disney after our return but at the time it was very upsetting

PORS 1995 Grand Floridian 1997 CBR 1998 ASMovies2002/2004Cumbrian lakes 2005,6,8,10,11,12,13,14 & 15 NYC/disney '12 AKL 2007 OKW 2009 2012Ellie hunts tour CBR 19
cumbrian lakes2016,17,18,19,22 2019 ASMovies 2022
SiandAm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 18, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Mylittleminion
Helping Minnie

I must have been really lucky as I wasn't even asked why I wanted a das pass they just issued it maybe ds just looked like he needed it?

How many of you are going? I was told you could have a max of 6 people added to a pass
Mylittleminion is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
LouH
slightly serious Dibber

Thought I’d update. We are here now - first and we have bucked our own trend and gone to wpcot in the hopenit would be quieter at guest relations. It was and the chap helping immediately said no problem at all man pop that paperwork away I don’t need to see that!
It was such a positive experience compared to in the UK.

Currently writing this as he had a meltdown coming off of Soarin’ and so we are in a quiet space by spaceship earth sorting his match attax cards into an orderly fashion whilst the siblings and Dad ride the ride. :-)