Notices
Social Groups Social Chatty type threads

Old 4 Nov 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Cheap meal ideas?

Hi all,

We are on a reduced income until my husband's arm is better so first stop is trying to reduce the food bill, any ideas for cheap meals for a family? We currently make our own pizza from scratch and home made pasta sauces etc, any other ideas welcome,

Thank you
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Look up a website called 'Cooking on a bootstrap' lots of fab, cheap and healthy recipes. Also switch and do as much shopping as you can in Aldi, you will save a fair bit. Eggs are obviously cheap - egg and chips, ham, egg and chips. Add veg to mince to make it stretch to 2 or 3 meals - if you add grated carrot and fry just as you have fried the meat it will blend in and not even be noticed. Courgette, mushroom, bakes beans call all be added. Sausages are cheap meals. Many supermarkets do packs of cooking bacon for a couple of quid that will make many a meat. Whole chicken is economical and can be used for many meals. Liver is less than £1 for enough for a family.
Meal plan around what you have in so that you are not throwing stuff out and are only buying what you need. Plan around seasonal fruit and veg or that on offer (aldi have 6 each week that is super cheap)
Bulk cook and freeze meals like bolognese, chilli, curry, shepherds pie - also helps avoid take a way on days you cant be bothered to cook as it is there to throw in the microwave
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

A Girl called Jack has some brilliant ideas. A google search will find them.
Old 4 Nov 18, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Mince is cheap and versatile, chilli, cottage pie, homemade burgers, spag bol, lasagne all good value. Chicken goes a long way, as a roast and leftovers in a pie or curry or delicious in pittas or rolls with salad and mayo. Frozen chicken breasts are great value for stirfries or casseroles. We use bacon and sausages for pasta meals too.

Tinned tuna or mackerel are good with salad or jacket potatoes to have some fish in the diet. Aldis and Lidls special offers on veg and fruit are good value and most can be frozen so worth buying and freezing. I also buy veg on offer or reduced for quick sale and make big batches of soup to freeze which is much tastier than tinned soup.

We only like Nescafe instant coffee but buy it from budget stores like B&M Bargains or Poundstretchers on offer. Cleaning products are often cheaper in these type of stores too.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Soups can be made from some basic cheap ingredients filling hearty vegetable soups and some home made bread can’t be beaten for a satisfying change at meal times. Use a basic vegetable stock and some pre-soaked broth/ soup mix and some of your favourite veggies if you have any left over chunks of cooked meat you could add that in too if you wanted to it softens up in the pan. Cook until everything is cooked through and if required blend until smooth or enjoy chunky.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

Remember if you have had a roast chicken, once you have picked all the meat off, boil the carcass up to make stock for soup. It’s great for chicken and rice soup. Just add whatever veggies you have in the fridge. It could be carrot , leek or mushrooms.
Quite often I cook up one of the pork loin joints that are often on offer at this time of the year. I can get a weeks worth of dinners out of it. First day as hot with a roast meal. Second day cold but cut a bit thicker with either chips or baked potato. Then cut up thinly for sandwiches,baguettes and toast n cold meat. Delish.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Snowball24 View Post
Hi all,

We are on a reduced income until my husband's arm is better so first stop is trying to reduce the food bill, any ideas for cheap meals for a family? We currently make our own pizza from scratch and home made pasta sauces etc, any other ideas welcome,

Thank you
What's the position regarding his arm? Has he had surgery?

Edited at 06:18 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Mobile

Something I like doing is getting extra large chicken for a Sunday (potatoes & a few veg items) then it lasts for Monday dinner which is usually cold chicken & chips. Or we add the chicken to a curry sauce with rice.
We also enjoy jacket potato with Tuna or cheese & beans which is usually a reasonable
Meal.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 20, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sarahmarie173
Apprentice Imagineer

when I make curries, swag bowl or chilli con carne I always make enough to freeze for me and my daughter I find this really helps through the month when money gets a bit tighter