Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 7 Nov 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Big Summer Blowout: Norwegian Fjord Cruise 2018 Day 2 - At Sea

Index

Monday 27th August 2018

After the excitement of getting onboard the wonderful Disney Magic yesterday, today was a sea day which meant we could take it easy, relax, and just chill out….

Or, we could take advantage of some of the fun things there are to do on board, and kick start the day with some room service!

Room service arrived at 8:30am; Jo and I had been up since about 8:10am in preparation - being woken by room service and stumbling around in the dark, with no glasses on, wearing pajamas isn’t the best start to the day (believe me, I’ve done it!).

Room service breakfast

As I mentioned previously, the DCL app has been updated since the last time we used it, and it’s really good - essentially replacing the daily Navigator (which still exists but in a much reduced format). The app includes everything that is going onboard for the whole cruise, and also includes the various restaurant menus, and more importantly, the drinks of the day. While we enjoyed our room service coffee and fruit, Jo favourited some activities that she thought we might want to do.

Eventually we heard Isabella asking if it was ok for her to wake up now. We gave her some of the fruit, and before long it was time for the first activity of the day: the Princess Gathering - a chance to meet some Disney princesses in the lobby.

Isabella got into her Princess Tiana dress and then we headed out. Leaving the stateroom we found a wonderful personalised Anniversary magnet on our stateroom door, left by someone from our Facebook cruise group.

Princess selfie in two parts!

I see the sea

Anniversary magnet

The back of the magnet

As well as the Anniversary magnet there were also more fish extender gifts - we weren’t the only ones up early!

We put the gifts in the room and then headed down to the lobby for 9:45am. Jo had booked our Princess Gathering tickets in advance via the Disney Cruise Line website, which is much less stressful than waiting in line at Port Adventures on the first day like we did on previous cruises.

Lift selfie

Arriving at the lobby, we joined the short line to meet the first princess of the day: Tiana. When it was Isabella’s turn, Tiana was really pleased to meet her - she chatted, then gave her plenty of hugs, an autograph and a selfie.

Ready to meet some princesses

Tiana & Tiana

After Tiana came Belle, Ariel and finally Cinderella. Once she had all her photographs and autographs he Princess Gathering was done.

The Princess Gathering had been fun and well organised - the crew members were all friendly - and Isabella had enjoyed it, and she’d had decent interactions with each princess.

Belle

Ariel

Cinderella

We took our princess back to the room for a quick change of clothes, and then we headed up to deck 9 for a Cabanas buffet breakfast. As it was a sea day and late morning, Cabanas was very busy, so we had to settle for a table outside. The weather wasn’t great today, it was cold and windy up on deck, but breakfast warmed us up - as usual it was lovely, and we thoroughly enjoyed it - the provided blankets also helped!

Yum

Choppy
Old 7 Nov 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Isabella wanted to go to the Oceaneer’s Club for Super Sloppy Science, so while Jo finished off her breakfast I took Isabella to the club. After dropping her off I headed back up to deck 9 to meet Jo and we went for a little wander. After a few minutes of wandering the rain came, so we decided to retreat back inside, eventually ending up on deck 5 in the atrium where we sat and relaxed for a while.

Eventually we decided to head along to the shops, where we saw a limited edition 20th Anniversary Disney Cruise Line pin in White Caps which we thought Isabella would love. As there was only one left we snapped it up there and then in case they didn’t have any more onboard.

Jo also saw a DCL Dooney & Bourke bag that she liked, and after trying out different sizes and placements, found the one she wanted - we decided that I would buy it for her as a birthday present.

Dooney & Bourke bag

We got a message via the app that Isabella was ready to be picked up from the club, so we headed off to collect her, and then we headed back up to our room.

As we reached our room we bumped into wdw-wanderer, who I’d met yesterday; she had stopped by to leave us a note. After chatting with us for five minutes, she headed off to do some more wandering, and we collected yet more Fish Extender gifts from outside our room and headed inside.

Fish Extender gifts
Old 7 Nov 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Isabella had brought back some flubber that she’d made in Sloppy Science, so that went straight into the fridge and then we had a look through the fish extender gifts we’d received - making a note of which rooms they were from.

We got some really lovely and thoughtful gifts, amazed by the generosity and effort that our fish extender group had put into them - I hope they felt the same way about our gifts!

Isabella had bought her Disney pins along with her, and there were a couple of staterooms along our corridor that had pin trading boards outside their door, so we headed along and Isabella traded two pins.

Pin trading

After that we went for another wander on deck where the rain had stopped but not the wind!

We were having a really lovely relaxing day, and now it was now time for lunch, which meant it was Cabanas for us. Although it was busy again, we managed to get a table inside this time away from the wind.

Windy!

Elbows

After another delicious Cabanas buffet lunch, we returned to our room to find yet more fish extender gifts to add to our collection. Once again we had to save them for later though, as we had another meet and greet to attend. This time is was the Frozen Gathering, which once again had been booked up in advance. This meant another change of outfit for Isabella as she put on her Anna dress.

The Frozen gathering was in Animator’s Palate, a short walk up the stairs. Once again the line was short and the character interactions were good. Isabella got autographs, selfies, and a some group photos with Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff.

Frozen Animator's Palate

Meeting Anna, Elsa, and Kristoff

Frozen selfie

More FE gifts

Leaving Animator’s Palate we walked through Shutters, the onboard photography shop, where all the photographs from the embarkation and character meets are now on kiosks - no more books of photos. We stopped to have a look - and laugh - at the photos that had been taken so far and then we continued along to the shops.

Photos!

After another browse in White Caps, where Isabella bought herself a Norway pin, we headed up on deck to Daisy De-lites to get her some dessert. Nothing took her fancy however, so we popped back to Cabanas where she got a cookie with dulce de leche ice cream.

Isabella's Norway pin

While Isabella ate, I went off to the bar by the pool to get Jo and I a Grape Crush ‘drink of the day’ (Vodka, Chambord Raspberry Liqueur, Sweet & Sour, Sprite) - well it was gone 2pm

Besides eating, drinking, and shopping, the plan for this afternoon was to watch Christopher Robin at the Buena Vista Theatre. With about 15 minutes until it started we arrived to an already packed theatre, we’d underestimated just how popular this film was going to be!

With that now off the table, Isabella decided she wanted to go and spend some time in the club, so we dropped her off then went to find somewhere to sit and enjoy our Grape Crush cocktails.

Outside on deck 4 were some chairs where we could sit and enjoy our drinks. It was a nice quiet area, and there was a trunk full of blankets so that we could be warm while we sat and enjoyed the sea view. It was a wonderful relaxing way to spend an afternoon at sea onboard the Disney Magic.

Chillin'

An hour later, with our drinks finished, and beginning to feel the cold, we decided to head back up to deck 9 and grab a coffee. As it was now about 3:45pm we thought we should go and collect Isabella, and as we made our way to the club we received a message saying that she wanted picking up - great timing.

With about an hour to go until we needed to get ready for dinner - tonight was Formal Night - Isabella watched ‘George of the Jungle’ on TV (which she thoroughly enjoyed), while I wrote up my notes.

Watching ‘George of the Jungle’

Formal Night means dressing up and, most importantly, complimentary cocktails at the Captain’s Reception. By 5:30pm we were suited and booted and headed down to the lobby, to join the captain and his officers. To be honest, we didn’t talk to any of the officers, and we had no intention of queuing for a photo with the captain - we were just there for the free cocktails! Although, to be fair, we do enjoy the atmosphere, as there’s live music and a really nice buzz in the lobby atrium during the reception.

Evening selfie

My two ladies

Sear selfie

Jo

Me!

Our attempt at a photo with the captain!

Servers appear regularly with rays of drinks, often they don’t get very far from the bottom of the stairs before the trays are empty! We spied one coming down the stairs and grabbed a couple of cocktails, and an alcohol-free drink for Isabella.

Drinks

Drinks in hand, we wandered around soaking up the atmosphere. We were approached by Disney Julie - a fellow Dibber who’d commented on the PTR - who said hello (hope you had a great cruise Julie ). Suddenly another woman appeared singing “Tiki Room” at us in reference to the matching tie and dress Jo and I were sporting!

After those brief encounters we grabbed ourselves another drink and watched the live duo - a female singer and male guitarist - outside the entrance to Lumiere’s.

The entertainment

As we watched them, the doors to Lumiere’s opened and we happened to be standing right in front of the doors. It also happened to be our restaurant for dinner tonight so we thought we may as well go straight in and we ended up being the first people in the restaurant!

First in the restaurant!

Edited at 09:23 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

We were seated at our table and soon our lovely servers came to talk us through tonight’s menu and take our order.

Me: Gaston’s Escargot Gratinee (Herb-marinated Snails with Finely Chopped Mushrooms topped with Garlic Butter) / Chateaubriand-Roasted Filet Steak (Roasted Filet Steak, Crushed new Potatoes with Shallots, Buttered Green Beans, Red Wine Jus, and a Bearnaise Sauce on the Side) / Grand Marnier Souffle (Served with Grand Marnier Creme Anglaise)

Jo: Gaston’s Escargot Gratinee (Herb-marinated Snails with Finely Chopped Mushrooms topped with Garlic Butter) / Oven Baked Salmon Royale (Crowned with King Smoked Salmon and Horseradish Crust accompanied by Sauteed Chard, truffled Cauliflower Puree and White Wine Beurre Blanc) / Grand Marnier Souffle (Served with Grand Marnier Creme Anglaise)

Isabella: Mac & Cheese / Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla Ice Cream

Gaston’s Escargot Gratinee

Chateaubriand-Roasted Filet Steak

Oven Baked Salmon Royale

Mac & Cheese

Grand Marnier Souffle

Strawberry, Chocolate, and Vanilla Ice Cream

Our server Jonny fancied himself as a bit of an amateur magician, and to entertain the kids did a some tricks and set them a puzzle with crayons. It turned out to be a bit of a head scratcher, although eventually I managed to solve it!

After the first puzzle was solved, he set another one - still supposedly for the kids - but none of us managed to solve that one. Jonny was a lot of fun during dinner, definitely the best server on our five cruises.

The food in Lumiere’s tonight was really good, and after dinner Isabella went to the pyjama party at the club - apparently Pluto would be there. She didn’t have time to go back to the room to get changed, so she went in her dress - she wasn’t the only one.

As there was also a Captain’s reception before the evening dinner seating, we decided we may as well go to that one too as it had just started, so we got ourselves some more drinks and then sat in the atrium on deck 4 chilling out and people watching. There was one particular middle aged American lady who had definitely had one too many free glasses of wine; we honestly thought either she or her phone was going to end up falling over the bannister into the lobby below!

Captain's reception No. 2!

More drinks

Eventually we headed back to the shops - for the third time today. This time we had a look in Mickey’s Mainsail, but didn’t see anything that took our fancy.

In the Walt Disney Theatre tonight they were showing ‘Twice Charmed: An Original Twist on the Cinderella Story’ which we all wanted to see. We headed back to the club to pick Isabella up and made our way to the theatre to ensure we got ourselves a seat - we expected it to be busy. It wasn’t too bad when we arrived and we got decent seats easily - however, it did eventually fill up so probably a good idea to get there early-ish.

All the shows on the Disney Magic are fantastic, as you might expect, and this one didn’t disappoint; it’s a fun twist on Cinderella with some clever staging - definitely worth seeing if you are ever onboard the Magic.

Ready for the show

Once the show finished it was about 10pm, so we headed back to the room as it was now to be greeted by tonight’s towel animal - a shark with chocolate eyes.

Isabella bathed and got ready for bed while I headed up to deck 9 one last time to get decaf coffee for Jo and I. We said goodnight to Isabella and then I wrote up some notes, Jo did the room service order for the morning, and we eventually went to sleep at about 11pm.

Towel shark

Today was a really fun, relaxing day at sea. Tomorrow we would be in Copenhagen, Denmark and we would be heading out on an excursion into the city.

TFR
Old 8 Nov 18, 06:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

With the set menus at night in the restaurants, what are the kids menus like?
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 18, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely relaxing day. Great fish extender gifts. My kids loved trading pins on board. Enjoying reading along😊
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 12:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Sounds like the day mainly involved eating, drinking, relaxing and fishhook extender gifts! Brilliant.

Thanks for sharing
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Julie
Proud to wear my Ears

Really enjoying your trip report. Was good to meet you and Jo. We had a great time and it looks like you did too!
Disney Julie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
With the set menus at night in the restaurants, what are the kids menus like?
There are always 'safe' options like chicken tenders, mac and cheese, or burgers, but there's also healthier options like salmon or chicken breast. Isabella would sometimes have the healthier option, and then other days would go for chicken tenders, mac and cheese, or pizza if it was on offer. If she had wanted a specific item that wasn't on the menu, they would've got it for her no problem. Hope that helps?

Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Lovely relaxing day. Great fish extender gifts. My kids loved trading pins on board. Enjoying reading along😊
Glad you're enjoying. TFR

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Sounds like the day mainly involved eating, drinking, relaxing and fishhook extender gifts! Brilliant.

Thanks for sharing
Yup, that sums it up nicely

TFR

Originally Posted by Disney Julie View Post
Really enjoying your trip report. Was good to meet you and Jo. We had a great time and it looks like you did too!
Nice meeting you too. Glad you had a great time, we definitely did
Old 12 Nov 18, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s great that Isabella wants to do lots of activities like going to the club. She got some good selfies today.

I love Jo’s dress (and your tie of course!)
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List