Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 15 Dec 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Big Summer Blowout: Norwegian Fjord Cruise 2018 Day 5 - Kristiansand

Index

Thursday 30th August 2018

Today’s port of call was Kristiansand, about 200 miles south along the coast from Oslo. As we had no real plans, beyond getting off the ship for a wander at some point, we had a bit of a lie in; Jo woke up about 8am, I was up at about 8:40am.

After the usual coffee run, I wrote up my notes while Isabella slept until about 9:30am. Once she was up and had her milk, we got ready and headed up to Cabanas for breakfast - stopping en route to put on a load of laundry (guest laundry was conveniently only a short distance down our corridor).

Good morning

Our view of Kristiansand

Norway was proving to be popular with the wasps, so once we’d filled our plates from the buffet we decided to sit inside again despite the nice weather. As usual the food was great, Cabanas turned out to be a big hit on this cruise.

On the way back to the room we sorted the washing out - putting some in the dryer and taking the rest back to the room. With that done, we headed up to deck 10 to check out the sights of Kristiansand.

Laundry

Breakfast

It was turning into a hot day, and at about midday we decided it was time to go for a wander into town, aiming to visit the Cathedral and check out the Starbucks to see if we could find a Norway ‘Wish You Were Here’ mug.

Although it’s a pleasant town, Kristiansand wasn’t as appealing as our previous ports of call. Once we made it to the town centre, we had a little look around the Cathedral, came up empty handed from Starbucks (no mugs; expensive coffee) and decided to head back to the ship.

All in all we were only off of the ship for about an hour - Kristiansand just wasn’t that interesting for us. Besides, we’d had a busy day yesterday, and had more plans for tomorrow so we were happy to head back and spend the rest of the afternoon onboard the ship.

Sear selfies

Port of Kristiansand

Sand sculptures

Domkirken
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

First thing to do back on the Magic was to get lunch - not from Cabanas - but from the Duck-In Diner on deck 9. Jo and I wanted to try the shawarma - I had chicken, Jo had lamb for. Isabella went for a hot dog and chips.

The shawarma was nice, but not substantial enough, so we then went back and got a cheeseburger and fries to share For dessert Jo and Isabella got some soft-serve ice cream from Eye Scream Treats; Jo made herself a vanilla and chocolate swirl, Isabella had vanilla.

Chicken shawarma

Lamb shawarma

Cheeseburger

Ice cream

It was now almost time for Isabella’s afternoon makeover at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, so we went back to our room and she got changed into her Ariel princess dresses.

Isabella was very excited as we headed up to deck 10. After check in Isabella met her Fairy Godmother in Training - a lovely Mexican lady called Fheri. We’d booked the Crown Package (which includes a choice of hairstyle, plus shimmering makeup, face gem, nail polish, Princess tote and Princess sash) and Isabella had chosen the Fairytale Princess hairstyle. The makeover took about 30 minutes, Fheri so lovely to Isabella and Isabella was so sweet - telling her about our Mexican cruise that we’d booked onboard the Disney Wonder next year. The whole experience was one of the highlights of the cruise.

On the way to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Isabella and Fheri, her Fairy Godmother in Training

The finished princess
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Tonight was the Tangled show in the Walt Disney theatre, and O’Gills pub had a Snuggly Duckling makeover, so after finishing at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique we went down to have a look around - picking up a ‘Thug’ scavenger hunt sheet on the way. Looking around the ‘Snuggly Duckling’ we found some of the items from the scavenger hunt sheet.

O’Gills Snuggly Duckling

It was now 3:30pm, half an hour until the mixology class Jo and I had booked in Keys - organised by the cruise Facebook group. Isabella decided she wanted to go to the Oceaneer’s Club, so we dropped her off and made our way to Keys for about 3:45pm.

Waiting outside Keys

The doors opened just after 4pm and once checked in we found ourselves a table for two. We’ve done Mixology on the last few cruises and it’s always fun - this one was actually little less boozy than the last one we did - which is probably a good thing!

Our host was Alejandro and he was very knowledgeable about alcohol, and also told us lots of interesting alcohol related stories - it really was a lot of fun.

Alejandro

There were five cocktails to make in total:

1. From China with passion - apparently Alejandro invented this himself: Prosecco, Mango Purée, Passion Fruit, a Chinese Liqueur

2. Fireworks - a Disney cocktail: Prosecco, Raspberry Purée, Pomegranate Syrup

3. Mint Julep - Bourbon Whiskey, Soda, Lime, Mint Leaves

4. Brandy Alexander variation: Martini, Creme de Cacao, Sugar Syrup, Cream, Cognac

5. Keys With Love - only served in ‘Keys’: Kahlua, Disaronno, Baileys, Cream

From China with passion

Fireworks

Mint Julep

Brandy Alexander

Keys With Love
Old 15 Dec 18, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Mixology finished at 5:30pm, and we went to pick Isabella up from the club, but she was busy so I told her I’d come back for her 6pm to take her to dinner.

Jo and I went back to the room and got ready for dinner - it was semi-formal night so we needed to dress up a little bit. Once we were ready we headed off to pick Isabella up on the way to Lumiere’s. We were all really hungry, and fortunately we were seated quickly and got our order in from the Captain’s Gala menu:

Me: Baked Oysters on the Half Shell (with spinach, onions and bacon, topped with buttered breadcrumbs) / Pan-seared venison medallions (with marinated red cabbage, potato croquettes and a port wine juniper sauce) / Russian honey cake (layered with butterscotch cream and vanilla bean sauce)

Jo: Baked Oysters on the Half Shell (with spinach, onions and bacon, topped with buttered breadcrumbs) / Roasted Red Snapper (served on a bed of fennel, olives, sweet peppers, and yukon gold potato ragout with saffron broth) / Chocolate bread pudding (with vanilla sauce; from the kids’ menu)

Isabella: Mac ‘n Cheese (served with fresh vegetables and steak fries) / Chocolate bread pudding (with vanilla sauce)

Isabella had also wanted to try a Shirley Temple - she fancied a different drink and they are free at dinner - she tried really hard to like it but generally isn’t a fan of fizzy drinks!

Isabella with her Shirley Temple

Baked Oysters on the Half Shell

Pan-seared venison medallions

Roasted Red Snapper

Mac ‘n Cheese

Russian honey cake

Chocolate bread pudding

After dinner we made our way back to the ‘Snuggly Duckling’ for the Thug hosted show which included a game of ‘Thugo’ - bingo with thugs! Luckily we managed to secure a table - it was very busy - and I went to order drinks from the bar: Jo had a cocktail of the day and I got an Einstok Icelandic White Ale.

The bar continued to fill up, and eventually it was standing room only. The show itself lasted about 15 minutes, and consisted of a singalong with a couple of ‘Thugs’ singing and playing the piano followed by the game of ‘Thugo’. It was ok but not something I’d rush to see again.

O’Gills Snuggly Duckling

We left the ‘Snuggly Duckling’ and popped back to the room where we found a hanging towel monkey, and some Ghirardelli chocolates which were a reward for completing the Frozen scavenger hunt; this cruise was the first time that all the chocolates left in the room as treats (including before bedtime every night) have been Ghirardelli - whoever decided on that change needs a big pat on the back!

Hanging towel monkey

As we’d watched the Tangled show a couple of days ago, we didn’t have anywhere to be this evening so we went to finish off the Thug scavenger hunt which involved me heading up on to a windy deck 10 where I witnessed a lovely sunset, and almost got blown overboard!

Thug scavenger hunt

Sunset

I met Jo and Isabella back on deck 9, we got coffee and then headed back to the room where Jo showered and put Isabella to bed.

With Isabella in bed, Jo and I were feeling peckish so I went back up on deck to grab some pizza slices; once again they were yummy!

Pizza

We finished our pizza, and by 11pm we were in bed ready for sleep.

So, not the most exciting of days, but thanks for reading anyway! Tomorrow we return to Stavanger and the fantastic petroleum museum that we visited in 2016.
Old 16 Dec 18, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Looks like another great day, and the weather looks awesome.

I think I'd quite like Alejandro's job 😂

That pizza looks so good.

Thanks for sharing
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Looks a nice relaxing day, I love Isabella's sunglasses !
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A lovely relaxing day day!

Isabella looks so excited at her make-over
margyloveswdw is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 01:43 AM  
Link to this Post
miss_mouse
Imagineer

How stunning did Isabella look?!

Seems like you packed loads in.

Ade just said he worked nearby where you stopped off.

Wishing you a fab time at Universal xxx

@adeandlisadodisney

All of my Trip Reports...Here!
miss_mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Love the way Isabella is keeping her nail varnish from smudging in all the photos after BBB!

Another great day and sounds like many of ours .. off the boat, bimble around for an hour, get back on the boat!
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
Looks like another great day, and the weather looks awesome.

I think I'd quite like Alejandro's job 😂

That pizza looks so good.

Thanks for sharing
Alejandro definitely knew his stuff - he must've done a lot of drinking!

TFR

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
Looks a nice relaxing day, I love Isabella's sunglasses !
TFR

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
A lovely relaxing day day!

Isabella looks so excited at her make-over
She loved it, the Fairy Godmother In Training was superb too

Originally Posted by miss_mouse View Post
How stunning did Isabella look?!

Seems like you packed loads in.

Ade just said he worked nearby where you stopped off.

Wishing you a fab time at Universal xxx
What did he think of Kristiansand then? Was he there for long?

TFR

(p.s. we had a lovely time at Universal thank you - you can read about it soon )

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Love the way Isabella is keeping her nail varnish from smudging in all the photos after BBB!

Another great day and sounds like many of ours .. off the boat, bimble around for an hour, get back on the boat!
There's a lot to be said for a quick wander round then getting straight back on the boat

TFR