Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 27 Dec 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Big Summer Blowout: Norwegian Fjord Cruise 2018 Day 7&8 - At Sea/Dover *COMPLETE*

Index

Saturday 1st September 2018

The Disney Magic was on its way back to Dover, so today was to be a sea day. I was also our 11th wedding anniversary and we were celebrating with brunch at the Palo restaurant.

We were all up at 8am this morning and while I did the coffee run Jo and Isabella had a cuddle in bed. Isabella’s breakfast arrived via room service at about 9am, and she watched Descendants (again) while she ate.

Jo and I exchanged anniversary cards and then I caught up with my notes.

Good morning sea

Isabella's breakfast

Brunch was booked for 10:30am so Isabella was going to spend the morning in the Oceaneer Club/Lab. Before taking her to the club there was a Captain Hook character meet in the atrium meet at 10am, so I got (mostly) ready and took her there while Jo got ready - you have to dress up for Palo.

Isabella was wearing her Star Wars ‘together we can rule the galaxy’ outfit, which Captain Hook really liked - Meeting Captain Hook is a lot of fun.

Ready to meet Captain Hook

Meeting the Captain

After the meet, I dropped Isabella off at the Oceaneer Club and then headed back to the room to finish getting ready. Jo had finished getting ready, so we made our way up to deck 10 and checked in to Palo. We were shown to our table, with a lovely view of the sea, and our server Freja arrived.

After a Mimosa we were given the usual tour of the buffet - all of which looked as delicious as ever - and then back at the table we decided to order an Apple & Cinnamon (Mickey) Waffle from the menu.

Palo

Our table

Me wife and mimosa

Palo brunch menu

Palo buffet

While we waited for the waffle to arrive, we took advantage of the buffet; seafood first, then some Italian meats and cheese.

The waffle arrived - it was big! It was also delicious, definitely the best Mickey waffle you’ll ever have.

We ordered another dish each from the menu - Jo ordered Rollatini Melanzane (lightly breaded baked eggplant filled with prosciutto, sweet ricotta and smoked mozzarella, served on toscana sauce and drizzled with aged balsamic modena), and I ordered the Artichoke Ravioli (with morel mushrooms, meyer lemon, shaved pecorino romano and broccolini pesto).

We had a little break while we waited for these dishes to arrive, and when they did they were both amazing - Jo said it was the best thing she’d eaten on the entire cruise!

Freja then brought us out an anniversary plate, and another guest took a nice photo of us. We were also brought a chocolate lava cake, which wouldn’t be something I would usually go for but it was really tasty.

There was still room for some desserts from the buffet, so we got a selection to finish off our wonderful meal.

Brunch

Anniversary plate

Edited at 12:05 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

By this time we’d been in Palo for about two hours in Palo, and we were finally done. The food and service were as amazing as ever, it had been a great way to celebrate our anniversary. As well as wishing us ‘Happy Anniversary’ quite a few guests had also commented upon our matching Tiki Room tie and dress, which was nice of them to notice.

We left Palo and went to get Isabella from the Oceaneer Club, then took her up to deck 9 to get a hot dog from the Duck-In Diner.

Off to get a hot dog

Hot dawg!

As today was a sea day, we didn’t have any other concrete plans, so we headed down to have a browse round the shops and plan the rest of the day. The options were: Christopher Robin in the Buena Vista Theatre, the pool, or ‘FriendShip Rocks’ in the Walt Disney Theatre.

To help us decide, I took Isabella to the kids club to find out what ‘FriendShip Rocks’ was all about: it was a 30 minute show in the theatre, involving the kids doing a dance routine, and some special guests. This would involve Isabella spending 45 minutes beforehand in the Oceaneer Club learning the routine, before going on stage. It sounded like something she’d enjoy, so she decided that she would do it. This wouldn’t be happening until late afternoon, so we still had time to do some of the other things on our list, including checking out the character dance party going on in the lobby.

While Isabella and I had been sorting out the afternoon activity, Jo had stayed in the shop and bought Isabella a DCL Pandora charm for a Christmas present. We met up with her again, and then headed to the lobby. It was pretty busy, but we got to see Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Daisy and Donald showing off some moves. Isabella didn’t really feel like dancing (perhaps she was saving her moves for when she went on stage!), so after about 15 minutes we decided to squeeze in some pool time instead.

Dance party

"Quick, give me your phone..."

"...it's Mickey!"

After a quick change back at the room, we headed pool side and while Isabella enjoyed the slide and the pool, Jo and I relaxed with a ‘Drink of the Day’. I actually made note of todays drink, it was a High Tide (Malibu coconut rum, Amaretto Disaronno liqueur, pineapple juice, and cranberry juice) - yummy!

After about an hour poolside, Jo and I were feeling peckish, so I got us some chicken tenders and fries to share.

About half an hour later it was time for Isabella to get out of the pool and dry off and also enjoy a strawberry and vanilla swirl ice cream while she did so! Jo also got herself a chocolate and vanilla swirl ice cream - I wasn’t in the mood for an ice cream so abstained.

Fun at the pool

Once they’d finished and Isabella was dry we returned to our room so that Isabella could get ready to go to the Oceaneer Club for her ‘FriendShip Rocks’ rehearsal and show.

Back at the room we were sad to find our luggage tags and debarkation information for tomorrow. Isabella had a bath, got ready and by 4pm was ready to go to the club. While I took her down there Jo started on the packing.

At about 4:50pm Jo and I made our way to the Walt Disney Theatre and found ourselves some good seats to watch the ‘FriendShip Rocks’ show.

The show was cute; all the kids from the Club and the Lab came out did a simple dance routine on stage, and then Mickey and Minnie came onstage and did some dancing. They also showed some photos that had been taken in the clubs over the course of the cruise - it looked like the kids had a lot of fun!

At the end of the show, all the kids were taken back to the lab; Jo and I got out of the theatre quickly and I got to the lab before the kids did. This was a good thing, and the line behind me to collect children ended up being huge.

Isabella had gained special ‘FriendShip Rocks’ t-shirt, but had misplaced her Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique tiara that she’d been wearing; she’d given it to one of the youth activities counselors during the show but couldn’t remember which one. We were told they would find it and bring it to our room, and in fact, by the time we got back to the room, one of the counselors was already at the room with the tiara.

FriendShip Rocks

The time was now 5:35pm - time for our last dinner on board the Disney Magic; we were going back to Rapunzel’s Royal Table. Jo had finished all the packing, so on the way out of the room we put our cases outside the door to be collected.

As it was last night we needed to give out our tip envelopes, and so I tried to find Calvin (our state room host) to give him his. After wandering up and down the corridor, I eventually found him. He’d done a great job with our cabin, and every night we got some special towel animals - he’s a bit of an expert and in fact had hosted a towel folding lesson for guests earlier that day!

Tonight’s theme was a party for Rapunzel - there were musicians and a party planner. However I may have mentioned before about our table not being in the best location so we couldn’t really see what was going on. Despite this we really enjoyed this restaurant, it had a fun atmosphere, and tonight we got to meet Rapunzel again, and Flynn Rider.

Rapunzel's Royal Table

Our dinner choices tonight were as follows:

Me: Ravioli ‘Tiroler’ (Filled with pulled beef and portobello mushrooms tossed in red wine-thyme reduction served with roasted carrots and pearl onions) / Captain of the Guards roasted prime rib of beef (with a double baked potato, broccoli, sweet roasted carrots, and a red wine-veal sauce / Warm braided apple strudel (served with vanilla sauce and butter pecan ice cream)

Jo: Snuggly Duckling platter (A selection of charcuterie with pumpernickel and German mustard) / Tangled Pasta (Angel hair pasta tossed in basil-pesto with caramelised sea scallops, red vine tomatoes, and a sun-dried tomato tapenade served with roasted meyer lemon) Rapunzel’s fry pan sweet bread (Fry bread dusted with powdered sugar, chocolate-hazelnut sauce, and vanilla bean ice cream served in Rapunzel’s frying pan)

Isabella: Slow Roasted Breast of Chicken (served with garden vegetables and steamed white rice) / Birthday cupcake sundae (Butter cupcake with strawberry compote, birthday ice cream, whipped cream, and topped with celebration confetti)

Both of Isabella’s food choices tonight were from the adults menu, and she again persevered with a Shirley Temple!

Ravioli

Snuggly Duckling platter

Prime rib

Tangled pasta

Slow Roasted Breast of Chicken

Apple strudel

Rapunzel’s fry pan sweet bread

Birthday cupcake sundae

Another anniversary cake

During dinner, the kids also got to colour in and make a floating lantern, and were treated to yet another magic trick from our server Jonny - he was a great server; in fact both of them (Jonny & Janey) were the best servers we’ve ever had on a cruise.

As well as the musicians, the character meets, and some singing on stage, there was also a parade around the restaurant; unfortunately the photos I took didn’t really come out as it’s really dark in this restaurant and didn’t want to turn my flash on and annoy people trying to eat!

Shirley Temple!

Jonny

Janey

Floating lantern

Rapunzel

Flynn Rider

Dinner was very enjoyable, and we were sad it was to be our last proper meal on board. We had a coffee to finish off, then said goodbye to our table mates, gave well deserved tips to Jonny and Janey, and then headed down to the Walt Disney theatre for the final show of the cruise.

On the way down, we made a quick stop in Shutters to purchase the photo download of Isabella that had been taken at dinner yesterday, then popped into Mickey’s MainSail to buy a couple of gifts, before joining the queue to get into the theatre - we were early but we wanted to make sure we got a good seat.

While we were in the queue we bumped into wdw-wanderer and her friend. We chatted with them while we waited, and when we were let into the theatre, they sat behind us and we chatted to them a bit longer until the show started.

Nice shirt!

Tonight’s show was Disney Dreams - it’s a really great show, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. By the time it was finished and we’d got back to the room it was 10pm.

We were all very tired, so Isabella went straight to bed. I went to get us a decaf coffee, while Jo got ready for bed too.

Before going to sleep I finished off my notes and went to sleep at about 11:15pm, after a quick shower. We were very sad, and were not looking forward to debarking tomorrow!

Edited at 12:00 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Sunday 2nd September 2018

The following morning started early as Jo woke me up at about 6:15am, and I soon headed off to do the last morning coffee run of the holiday. Just like previous cruises we wouldn’t be eating a proper breakfast - you’re supposed to eat breakfast at a specified time in the restaurant that you dined in the night before. But as we were on main dining, the seating time was very early, so we were planning on a quick Cabanas breakfast instead.

After our coffee, we woke Isabella up, got ready, packed our few remaining bits into hand luggage and headed to our favourite breakfast destination.

The time was about 7:30am and Cabanas was busy - I think a lot of people have now realised that they can use this option - it’s not widely promoted on board.

We sat and ate overlooking the Port of Dover. Once we’d finished, I filled up the water bottles and then we headed for the exit. We were feeling pretty miserable about having to leave the ship.

Our last breakfast

Looking over Dover

The time was 8:15am, and fortunately debarkation was quick and easy - within 15 minutes we were boarding the shuttle back to pick up the car, and within half an hour we were on our way back home.

The drive home was painless and by 11am we were standing in our living room looking forlornly at our suitcases and wondering how it all gone by so quickly!

Time to go

And so ends another wonderful cruise on board the Disney Magic. Thank you all for reading and commenting. We’re just about to head off on our next trip - this time to Universal Orlando, and you can read the pre-trip report here!

The Sears xxx

Home

Edited at 11:47 AM.
Old 27 Dec 18, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Cutiepie
Imagineer

Another fab holiday! Thanks for sharing and will look forward to reading the next one Have a safe journey & lots of fun.
Cutiepie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Have really enjoyed reading your trip report x

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 18, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Just caught up on your report. Thank you so much for sharing your adventure.😃
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Great last day at sea and another great report.

Thanks for sharing.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Once again I’ve loved reading your trip report. Thank you for taking the time to write and share.
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
You're all way too photogenic! Great trippie and makes me miss my ship even more!

Have you got another cruise booked?

Joa
Old 11 Jan 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

Another fab report - what a brilliant week. That Mickey waffle almost makes me want to book that trip alone. Would love to go.

You met so many characters on board & it really sounds like Isabella had a ball.

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves. Must be nice having a drive home as opposed to an international flight.
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List