Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
The Unexpected Festive Family Trip – 3.1.19 - Day 10: “The Fish have eyes”

The Unexpected Festive Family Trip – 3.1.19 - Day 10: “The Fish have eyes”

Day 9 is here

Index

Since this was our last full day I felt we could force ourselves to get up and out at a decent hour and head to HS for opening at 9am. We just missed a boat, so we used our time to take yet more photos in the lovely morning sunshine.

Lots of boats were running this morning so luckily, we caught the next one 10 minutes later. We arrived at 8.37am and were strolling into Toy Story Land at 8.50am. We were further behind the crowd than we would have liked to have been but it wasn’t really a big deal.

Check out the Slinky line.

We headed to Toy Story Mania, it was showing a 50-minute wait but Touring Plans were predicting 17 minutes and yet again they were correct.

I still did not win so I’ve invested in the Toy Story Mania game for the PS3 so I can get some practise in!

We had a fastpass for Slinky Dog but it had been down since opening so an Anytime fastpass was loaded on to our account. WE decided to get in line for Alien Swirling Saucers which was showing a 65-minute wait but Touring Plans was saying 42 minutes (long I know, but they were also predicting Slinky would be up and running within the hour), Touring Plans was right again.

Breakfast was calling so we headed again to Woody’s lunch box. 4 pop tarts and a coffee. I do love those cranapple pop tarts. $21.

I’d booked a fastpass for Rock n Roller coaster but ds decided that he didn’t really want to do it so on the boat on the way across I’d swapped it for a Voyage of the Little Mermaid, I was loathed to do this but choices were slim. Hs was the park I had the least success with for altering to securing additional fastpasses. All the strategies I knew never got me anything decent. I’d have settled for a single Tower of Terror for just me but no joy. I rechecked while we were sitting down and Frozen Ever After popped up, we like this and I knew Mil would so we swapped to that.

By now Slinky Dog was back up and running. The line was 135 minutes but with fp we were on in 10. It’s a really fun and cute ride. The whole area was mobbed now, we saw Buzz dressed up in his Christmas outfit but the line looked longer than we would have been happy with so we just kept walking.

Everywhere was busy so we decided to try the Little Mermaid show but the line was too big so we ended up waiting for the next show. Mil was happy with this as it was now roasting so at least we were inside in the air conditioning for most of the waiting.

Next up our Star Wards fastpass, we have a standing joke that no matter how many combinations there are we will always end up with Hoth and surprise surprise we went to Hoth yet again! It was a 60-minute wait but again 10 minutes with fastpass. Afterwards for the first time this holiday I encountered the biggest line for the Ladies toilets I have ever seen at Disney.

Frozen was up next, this is always funny and provided a nice rest. Although I maybe didn’t rest as much as the man a few seats along from me who had what seemed like a very pleasant full-blown power nap.

I checked fast pass availability while we were waiting and got one for Illuminations for later.

We walked around the lake on our way out and accidentally ended up getting the one Christmas magic shot that I really wanted.

As we got to the boat deck a boat just pulled up but not everyone got on. I wasn’t keen on standing waiting for another one so ds and I decided to walk back via the Boardwalk. I should have picked up a drink before we left the park and I would have done so had we planned to walk. There were drinks machines just before the path started but I couldn’t get any of them to work. The walk was quite nice, we just took it easy, taking photos and stopping to admire the wildlife.

Once we reached the Boardwalk, the boat passed us at this point, we cut through using the path at the side of their pool and headed to the shop for a well-earned drink and snack. We got a peanut butter cookie and a sprite zero which quickly replenished our energy. $9

DS and I walked round to the Yacht Club to their quick service and picked up a Turkey and Brie sandwich, it was massive, this picture is only half of it. I shared with Mil, it was really tasty. We also picked up a banana and chocolate bread from here as well for the morning.

Dh, meanwhile, went to BC marketplace and picked up a pepperoni flatbread to share with ds, they liked it and a clam chowder for me and ds to share, awesome again. Dh also picked up a mountain mix, he is addicted to this stuff.

After lunch we did the packing, well I did the packing and dh stayed out my way unless I specifically asked him to do anything. We decided we would go to Epcot for our final morning and had grabbed a Frozen fast pass for later in the day with the hope of modifying it to an earlier time. I gave dh instructions on what to do and with lots of refreshing and modifying we ended up with a perfect times Soarin for the next morning. He also helpfully took more photos from the balcony.

While Mil and I got ready ds and dh nipped down to the games room for some games of air hockey.

This evening we had dinner at Trattoria Al Forno. We had fancied this place for a while. It didn’t get off to the greatest start as the table we were sitting at was totally wonky and wobbly. So much so I had visions of wearing my dinner. The seater tried to sort it out less than successfully but then our lovely server appeared and sorted it out.
Mil and I had a glass of wine, dh had a beer and ds had a fanta.

Ds had Pettini di Mare - seared sea scallops, seasonal risotto, salumi Italiano, pecorino romano, he loved this.

Mil had Parmigiana di Pollo - Breaded Chicken Breast, Pecorino Romano, Provolone, fresh Pasta, Sunday Gravy, She enjoyed this but it was absolutely massive.

Dh had the steak which he enjoyed but was not the best of the holiday.

I had the sea bass which I can’t find on the menu. It was in a tomato sauce and was cooked perfectly, slightly too much sauce for me though. Ds decided to upset Mil at this point by loudly pointing out the fact that my fish had eyes. She can be very squeamish about stuff like this and the 2 of them ended up having words. I just arranged the glasses and the plates so that she couldn’t see.

I didn’t love it overall but I did like it, it is probably a good use of dining credits if you are an adventurous eater.

We thought about Ample Hills for dessert but there was nothing we fancied, probably still too full up after dinner.

We walked into Epcot and only had one dessert place in mind, the French bakery instead. So many good choices.
We had a strawberry tart, a chocolate éclair and a vanilla éclair, all gorgeous. $14.

Afterwards we had a stroll around to the fp area, this area has vastly increased in size since the last time we had a fp for this. The new sitting down thing seemed to be a bit of a theme again but I wasn’t really up for that so we found some railings to lean against without disturbing the view of others. Lots of people stood up when it started. The view was really good but I think the bridge at France is still my favourite. We will be seeing Illuminations lots in the Summer. What was really nice tonight was that during our walk up to the International Gateway they had Celebrate the Future playing. I love all the Millennium/Illuminations music as it has so many special memories for us. There will be tears shed in July.

The last few trips we have taken Ds has been quite fascinated by the caricatures and has always toyed with the thought of getting one done. He had some spending money left over so decided he would get one done at the Beach Club on his last evening. He decided he wanted a Disney specific one. He was really happy with the result. I think he paid about $42 for the picture and a tube to transport it home in.

And the saddest picture of the trip so far

17.5k steps today

Edited at 01:16 AM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good last day

Joan
Old 15 Feb 19, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Another great day. I'm with your MIL and would also be having words! This is one of the reasons I don't like fish - those eyes just make me feel too guilty! Oh and the thought of all those tiny bones just waiting to get stuck in your throat - yuk!
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I can't believe it's your final day already. Some lovely photopass photos again today.

Your Minnie bounding outfit is fab. I love it. I'm not so keen to see the magical express notification though. Sad times!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Palm trees
Apprentice Imagineer

What a lovely last day. I've not used touring plans before, although I'm tempted now after reading your report.
Palm trees is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good last day

Joan
Thanks Joan

Originally Posted by clochette View Post
Another great day. I'm with your MIL and would also be having words! This is one of the reasons I don't like fish - those eyes just make me feel too guilty! Oh and the thought of all those tiny bones just waiting to get stuck in your throat - yuk!
It was still delicious

Ds loves winding Mil up about things like that. She did well coping with all our adventurous eating especially the fish and seafood.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I can't believe it's your final day already. Some lovely photopass photos again today.

Your Minnie bounding outfit is fab. I love it. I'm not so keen to see the magical express notification though. Sad times!
It was our shortest trip so far, although April is shorter again.

Thanks, that Minnie dress is so comfy.

Originally Posted by Palm trees View Post
What a lovely last day. I've not used touring plans before, although I'm tempted now after reading your report.
Thanks. I used Touring Plans years ago and didn't really make the most of it. I thought it was really good this time for planning out what we wanted to do as you can adjust your walking speed and it gave you an idication of how long a wait you might encounter. I found this great for Christmas where I had no clue what to expect.

I used it in the parks as well for realistic wait times and you can tick off your steps and it can reorganise your plan based on up to date data (I didn't feel the need to do this), this might have been handy if things had been totally mental.
Old 16 Feb 19, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I have been lusting after dinner at Trattoria al Forno ever since reading your food report, it was great to relive it.

DS’s caricature is really good, they have captured him so well and I love that he went for a Disney theme.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I have been lusting after dinner at Trattoria al Forno ever since reading your food report, it was great to relive it.

DS’s caricature is really good, they have captured him so well and I love that he went for a Disney theme.
Are you sure you are not going to upgrade to DDP by the time you pay an extortionate amount for the Candlelight Processional, Trattoria Al Forno and another 1 or 2 you'd be as well?

Ds loves his picture, he's hoping Universal do them and is fancying a Harry Potter themed one too.
Old 16 Feb 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Cinderella
Imagineer

Love the picture of your DS👍
Cinderella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Are you sure you are not going to upgrade to DDP by the time you pay an extortionate amount for the Candlelight Processional, Trattoria Al Forno and another 1 or 2 you'd be as well?

Ds loves his picture, he's hoping Universal do them and is fancying a Harry Potter themed one too.
CP is for next year, I am always planning the next one Or three

I've been doing a lot of sums though, my plans are changing by the day.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List