Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Feb 19, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Travelling to Gatwick

I’m flying from Gatwick for the first time and travelling the day before.

It was much cheaper and I was planning on getting the train to London Euston then St Pancras to Gatwick.

I saw a bargain flight from MAN to LHR. So I thought I could fly down and get batransfers to Gatwick.

Though I’d get the train to Manchester first it’s only a short journey. As I’m travelling the day before and staying overnight I quite like the idea of flying down.

However, on th return home with jet lag I’m not sure I’d be wanting to fly to Gatwick travel to LHR then MAN then another train. As I could just get the train direct from Gatwick to St Pancras then the Euston train straight to Liverpool.

Has any one done both? Or done either and can tell me how easy/hard it was? Wondering if I should just stick with the train?

Edited at 08:02 AM.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

If you fly on a Saturday, and thus normally return Sunday morning in the early hours... don't expect a train to be available. We did it once and whilst it was a bargain, we ended up with a Sunday Service rail replacement, trains missing, utterly shambolic situation. So much so that when we pulled into a station to get on the rail replacement service, it had taken so long to get there that it was a decent enough hour on a Sunday to wake a family member and have them meet us. We got over half way across the atlantic in the time it took us to get from Manchester to Wigan.

Presuming there's no significant financial or time saving either way, I'd go for the simpler journey. You'll appreciate it when you're tired.
Old 22 Feb 19, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
If you fly on a Saturday, and thus normally return Sunday morning in the early hours... don't expect a train to be available. We did it once and whilst it was a bargain, we ended up with a Sunday Service rail replacement, trains missing, utterly shambolic situation. So much so that when we pulled into a station to get on the rail replacement service, it had taken so long to get there that it was a decent enough hour on a Sunday to wake a family member and have them meet us. We got over half way across the atlantic in the time it took us to get from Manchester to Wigan.

Presuming there's no significant financial or time saving either way, I'd go for the simpler journey. You'll appreciate it when you're tired.
That’s great advice and something I hadn’t even thought of. I do return on a Sunday morning.

I might consider flying down the day before then doing the direct London Euston train to Liverpool for the return. And pray for no rail replacement.

I hadn’t thought of it but I suppose I could fly from LHR to MAN on the Sunday and just pay for a private transfer to Liverpool rather than risk the train.
Old 24 Feb 19, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh I see this has been moved! Didn’t think to put it here with it involving flights but thanks Mods
Old 24 Feb 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I've done it the other way , flown into Manchester and got the train down to my home near Gatwick. I'd be concerned about bus replacements on a Sunday for part of the journey as they tend to only announce them a couple of months ahead but overall it has always worked well for me and I've never had a replacement service on a Sunday between Manchester or Liverpool and London but it's always a possibility.

I tend to use the National Express bus service between Gatwick and Heathrow rather than a transfer service , depending on party size and if there are kids it can be better value. It's direct and frequent.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

we did the train (Nottingham), it was super-easy out to Gatwick and I'd totally do that again. On the way home we flew into LHR, so we crossed London to get back to St Pancras. Honestly, when you're tired thats not fun. We took the LHR to Paddington train, then an Uber to St Pancras.

It was still far better for me (the only driver in the party) compared with driving to and from LHR or Gatwick. With only 2 of us travelling, it was also cheaper using the train (even including transfers out to Gatwick and back from LHR) compared with driving and parking the car.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 19, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thank you for all the helpful advice.

I think I might fly down to LHR one the way out and get a transfer to Gatwick. The national express seems cheap and as I’m solo I don’t think it’ll be much stress.

On the way back I’m still thinking of getting the train as although it’s Sunday, it seems a simpler journey.

As you say sammykitten, travelling to another airport for another flight when I’ve just landed from a night flight might be a bit much.
Old 25 Feb 19, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

I find most things "a bit much" on the day we come home
Old 25 Feb 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Solo, I would do the train but with family and kids I would fly down plus coach between LHR and GLA.
Old 25 Feb 19, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tigger71 View Post
Solo, I would do the train but with family and kids I would fly down plus coach between LHR and GLA.
Thanks Tigger. I think I’ll factor in cost too as I’ve no idea how much the train is yet so I don’t know whether to wait until they’re released and see what flights are doing or book a cheap flight now.