Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Title deeds and mortgage repayment.

We are in a fortunate position that we can pay off our mortgage. Dh has been working out what’s for the best ie pay most keep some, pay off all (this is for my piece of mind), or mortgage at the current amount outstanding. If we pay it off the bank want a fair bit of money for closing the mortgage and releasing the deeds, it would be paid off when our fixed rate comes to an end, if we take a new mortgage (our current fixed is just about up) fixed it will cost £500 set up fee if we take the variable rate it will only work out at an extra £300 over the period left on the mortgage (I think paying at the same monthly rate we are on). Is it normal for the bank to charge when a mortgage is paid, can we keep the deeds at the bank is there a cheap way to do this or do most people give it to the solicitor to look after or do we even need the deeds as are they not held electronically now?. Thanks

Edited at 11:08 AM.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

our deeds are held electronically

we paid off our mortgage 7 years early with no penalty/charges/ with santander

guess it depends on the T&Cs of your deal ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post

We paid off our mortgage in 2013. There was no charge from the bank, but we were on a standard variable rate, are you on a mortgage deal, like fixed rate, in which case I would understand why you have a charge.

There is no such thing as physical deeds any more, it is electronic, and this was the case when we paid ours off, so not a new thing. You could get a copy of your entry on the land registry if you would like to see it confirmed that there is no charge left on the house, it is only a few quid to do that.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
our deeds are held electronically

we paid off our mortgage 7 years early with no penalty/charges/ with santander

guess it depends on the T&Cs of your deal ?
There is no penalty charges as our fixed rate is coming to an end it’s for releasing/keeping the deeds.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
There is no penalty charges as our fixed rate is coming to an end it’s for releasing/keeping the deeds.
This makes no sense whatsoever and I would challenge them. Physical deeds are history.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by daisymae View Post
as i recall this wasnt a massive fee? although the mrs works in a lawyers so we get mates rates on everything ? we've got a land registry form with the title number.

as above they dont get physically 'kept' anywhere these days
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Our mortgage was with Brittania and they wanted £35 a year to store the deeds. I rang Land Registry who confirmed the deeds were electronically held. Not all are it depends on how long you have held your mortgage. You should ring Land Registry office to check. We requested the deeds to store ourselves but they are only really of interest value due to the actual deeds being electronic.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
pudge
Imagineer

pudge's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
We paid off our mortgage in 2016 5 months early and incurred no charge, however we did have to pay Solicitor to register our title deeds electronically with land registry
[/B][COLOR="Magenta"]2006 Crescent Lakes/New Port Richey, 2008 Highlands Reserve, 2010 Cumbrian Lakes (freebie) & Rolling Hills, 2012 Highlands Reserve, 2014 Bridgewater Crossing, 2015 Rolling Hills/HRH, 2016 Dibb villa Highlands Reserve/HRH & Vegas, 2017 Rolling Hills, Xmas 2018 Rolling Hills & RPR, 2019 Highlands Reserve, 2020 Highlands Reserve canx 2021 Emerald isle fingers crossed
pudge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pudge View Post
We paid off our mortgage in 2016 5 months early and incurred no charge, however we did have to pay Solicitor to register our title deeds electronically with land registry
thats probably what we paid for? was 4 years ago so cant recall fully
Old 22 Feb 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I've got my title deeds in the house and still have 7 years to pay on my mortgage. When I changed mortgage providers 12 years ago they just gave them to me
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List