Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 22 Jun 13, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
Could you just put the results on here Marie? No links, just the results.
I saw the poll myself and was shocked at what some people thought!
i'n unsure how to do this Joa and would i be allowed?

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
I do ,however, agree with the comment made:
"None of those options covers my opinion. I would tip at the time, when a service is supplied. Amount would depend on what I asked to be done, and if it was done quickly/well/grudgingly/several hours later/etc."
i totally agree with this Geoff but i do think that because tipping isn't something we do in the uk on a everyday basis that when there's no guidelines we end up being placed in a situation were we are afraid of getting it wrong and offending with a small tip

we had a great time in concierge, our only request was for a extra hairdryer and a window table in the dining room and they supplied these

with no suggested guidelines on what to tip it is difficult, we felt that
the lounge food person and barman did so much more for us than the actual concierge lady when it came to making the holiday extra special and so we tipped these people seperately
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 13, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mazz View Post
With no suggested guidelines on what to tip it is difficult, we felt that
the lounge food person and barman did so much more for us than the actual concierge lady when it came to making the holiday extra special and so we tipped these people seperately to the actual concierge
Oh! I hear where you are coming from. I take the view with a round at a bar that if its a couple of drin ks I leave a couple of bucks. Over a week that mounts up. Our concierge couple were brilliant and they did pull one or two strings for us like getting some non concierge friends into Palo at very short notice.or a visit to the bridge outside the normal planned ones. We bunged them $20 / 30 for that. I use the scale that a porter gets a $1 a bag, a house keeper gets $1 a day person and I kind of scale up from that.
Old 22 Jun 13, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post

The poll - site not identified:

Amended - larger image - click on it to enlarge to original

Edited at 08:49 AM.
Old 22 Jun 13, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by mazz View Post
i'n unsure how to do this Joa and would i be allowed?

If you PM me the link I'll dig out the right info once I'm on my laptop and not IPad.
I'm hoping to do concierge in 2015 and any advice on tipping is very helpful to me as concierge has its own rules!
Old 22 Jun 13, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
The poll - site not identified:

Nice one Geoff, thank you.

Marie .. No need for PM now!
Old 1 Sep 13, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Ms Sleepy
Apprentice Imagineer

Ms Sleepy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wow that looked amazing
Ms Sleepy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 13, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post

We sailed concierge again in Alaska and I did tip my host, on the Magic and wonder they have only two hosts and they come to you, knock in the door, at the disembarkation doors in ports of call and in MDRS, we had all private tours and booked online in advance and used shoreside concierge to book us an extra palo brunch, concierge sorted out a problem in our room on arrival, Oslo dinner in our room, and special viewing for Tracy arm day. We didn't do any spa, or classes. So actually we were very simple in our needs. I still gave a good tip, it appears to be above average to other responses on that poll, which I am not sure is reliable. Tipping is a personal thing, but in the USA I tipped all my private tour operators, drivers etc, but only once in 14 days did I see anyone else tip at all! I tipped well in Palo. Also over double for our stateroom host who had a lot of area to clean, and was very accommodating.
Old 1 Sep 13, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We tipped the concierge as well, a global sum that I hope was shared between the 3 hosts, the food runner and the lady making drinks. It felt right for us to reward how fantastic the service had been, from getting us a tray of chocolate covered strawberries, booking our mixology class and my daughters teen package in the spa, to the general daily chit chat we had with them that made our few days so special on board the dream.

I noticed the Americans dropping $ 20 to the food server from st Lucia and similarly to the lady making drinks, but not giving anything to the concierge themselves. I'd rather they all got something as they are a team who together made the experience of concierge a delight.
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 13, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
We tipped the concierge as well, a global sum that I hope was shared between the 3 hosts, the food runner and the lady making drinks. It felt right for us to reward how fantastic the service had been, from getting us a tray of chocolate covered strawberries, booking our mixology class and my daughters teen package in the spa, to the general daily chit chat we had with them that made our few days so special on board the dream.

I noticed the Americans dropping $ 20 to the food server from st Lucia and similarly to the lady making drinks, but not giving anything to the concierge themselves. I'd rather they all got something as they are a team who together made the experience of concierge a delight.
Yes it's hit and mix we had a concierge cruiser last year ask for all tips to be removed as he claimed not to know about them.
Old 27 Feb 14, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
jo_de_vil
New Poster (4)

jo_de_vil's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 9
Hi this is a wonderful report and just what I was looking for. We were booked for Deck 12 cat V on the dream and yesterday I changed us to a Deck 12 Cat T. I am so glad I found your TR I now know I have done the right thing. I have 2 questions
1. What is a "bump out balcony"
2. What is the tip situation with concierge. I have used a tip calculator which I guess is for standard stateroom as it has for a 4 night cruise for 3
Stateroom host $4 total $48
Server $4 = £48
Assistant Server $3 = $36
Head server $12
I am assuming that the concierge staff have there amounts too. If I pay for them up front and then add for the exceptional ones.
Do you leave cash envelopes for Mouse keeping the same as WDW?
I realise that is really 3 questions. I know someone has posted the survey but I am unable to enlarge it to read. TTFN

Edited at 01:48 PM.
jo_de_vil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List