Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 24 Oct 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

The DC to Atlanta Coaster Halloween Road trip- Blowing Rock/Blue Ridge Parkway

We had a few non park days now starting with the biggest drive of the trip, 6 hours to get to North Carolina! We made a couple of stops on route, the first at Devils backbone brewing company. Fab views and great breakfast and coffee, this was the sausage and egg biscuit, and Neils without the sausage.

We drove for another hour or so and stopped at Buchanan to visit the old swinging bridge. This was good to see but I admit if I’d noticed the sign that it could only hold 3 people at once I might have given it a miss!

We made it to Blowing Rock about 6pm. I loved this quaint little town, we stayed at Boxwood Lodge which was so cute, and the king suite we had was huge and I think it was around $120 a night.

We ate at Storie Street Grill which is a casual place on the Main Street. I had pecan crusted trout with polenta which was excellent, Neils dish didn’t look much but it was his favourite meal of the holiday, goats cheese ravioli in a pasta sauce and blackened shrimp. I had a bit of ravioli and it was delicious.

We got dessert to go which was ok, but the cake was a bit dry.

disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

The next morning it was little foggy to say the least!

We went to place called Sunny Rock on the edge of town to eat, this was packed and we waited about 15 mins for a seat at the counter but breakfast was fab.

I had a Monte Cristo which was french toast with ham, melted Swiss cheese and jam to dip in. It was the perfect combo of sweet and savoury and I loved it. Neil had croissant French toast with strawberries, I think both dishes were around $7 and were fantastic.

Blowing Rock itself was a really quaint little town, it reminded me of the towns in hallmark Christmas movies, I really liked it and would have liked to spend a bit more time there.

We then drove through the Blue Ridge Parkway to Asheville. The weather wasn’t great for this as there were several sections that should have been beautiful but we couldn’t see a thing due to fog. It was a shame but we still got to see some amazing views and it was a lovely drive.

I was hoping the trees would have turned brown and we could see the beautiful orange/red fall colours the area is known for but instead it was very green! Still pretty though.

We arrived in Asheville around 2pm which I’ll cover in the next update
disjunkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We had a week in Asheville a few years ago and loved it. Those breakfasts look delicious!
Old 27 Oct 19, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disjunkie
Very Serious Dibber

It’s such a fab place isn’t it? We really loved asheville and blowing rock.