Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 19, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pjamas
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Witch hazel is excellent and I always found the black Dead Sea soap helped with my acne. I also had a prescription for some pills which helped immensely! Maybe the GP can help?

Toothpaste is a good hack in an emergency. Make up is problematic but learning to apply it well will avoid improvisation with concealer and looking like it’s all caked on.
Pjamas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
top4
Imagineer

ive had to take my 13yr old son to the gp for thr same reason ,we've tried everything but no joy ,theyve prescribed something like a pritstick type thing that he dabs on the spots and the liquid dries them up ,he's been n it 1 week now and already theres a difference.
top4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My 11 yr old ds uses this:

I was recommended it by a beauty therapist as its gentle and doesn’t strip the oils.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Skincare is such a subjective thing, what works for one person doesn’t work for someone else. Salicylic Acid is great for breakouts and a lot of spot busting face washes will contain it, so look out for it.

However it’s really important not to go too OTT on trying to strip oil (and a lot of spot treatments are harsh and strip oil). If you make the skin too dry or remove too much oil it will make the skin work harder because it feels dry, it will then produce more oil and likely more breakouts so it’s a vicious cycle. Use acids, that’s important, but make sure that your daughter is also using moisturiser. You can get really good gel based moisturiser which won’t clog the pores (look for non-comedogenic) but will still allow the skin to be moisturised.

Good luck! A lot of spots especially at that age are hormonal and no matter what you try are hard to shift but it should at least help to ease the symptoms. It’s a horrid time to get them. I was super spotty when I was younger / moving into secondary school and it really is a horrid thing as no matter what anyone says it really does knock your confidence.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Inky
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Boots tea tree or body shop, my DD has had DUAC in prescription since age 12
Inky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 04:03 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Juice of a lemon on cotton buds (non-plastic). Apply to spot for a minute or two. Works brilliant for occasional use. Not more than that because the acid is strong and dries out the skin. Moisturize.
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
Skincare is such a subjective thing, what works for one person doesn’t work for someone else. Salicylic Acid is great for breakouts and a lot of spot busting face washes will contain it, so look out for it.

However it’s really important not to go too OTT on trying to strip oil (and a lot of spot treatments are harsh and strip oil). If you make the skin too dry or remove too much oil it will make the skin work harder because it feels dry, it will then produce more oil and likely more breakouts so it’s a vicious cycle. Use acids, that’s important, but make sure that your daughter is also using moisturiser. You can get really good gel based moisturiser which won’t clog the pores (look for non-comedogenic) but will still allow the skin to be moisturised.

Good luck! A lot of spots especially at that age are hormonal and no matter what you try are hard to shift but it should at least help to ease the symptoms. It’s a horrid time to get them. I was super spotty when I was younger / moving into secondary school and it really is a horrid thing as no matter what anyone says it really does knock your confidence.
Exactly this, which is why I recommended the decleor prolagene gel, it heals, calms and moisturises. Maybe try a little sample of it first, as I am aware its not cheap (amazon have a 400ml for under £30 at the moment which is a bargain). I remember bunking off school when my spots were bad!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Download the free Think Dirty app to your phone and look at what your kids and you are using! There's over a million products on here which are rated 0-10 / green to red for toxicity of the ingredients. It's extremely scary what the products you think would be ok because of their nice name actually contain. Choose the products with the best ratings.

Many of these harmful ingredients are known hormone disrupters and studies have shown that just 3 days off them will return the balance to normal.

Also look at checkcosmetics and put the batch number of what you have in. It will tell you when the product was made. In Boots etc it can be 5 or even 7 years from making it that you will actually buy it off the shelf! This is due to the harsh chemical preservatives.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 03:08 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List