Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
My daughter bought a house off an elderly couple who didn't redirect their mail, she was getting obviously important letters, bank, tax, pension. They didn't give her their new address, and to be honest were not the easiest people to buy for so she just returns to sender. However as she is very busy she virtually never goes past a post box, so often it is a couple of week or more till she is putting them in the post box.
The people I bought off did set up a redirection, but also gave me details of a neighbour who would forward/deliver any letters that slip though the system (the post office manually sort letters, so easy for them to slip through)
The people we bought from are lovely, it was our buyer that was the pain. I think I will print off the form and drop it in when I go into town today as I will go past the retirement complex they have moved to. We have a post box outside our house so that isn't a problem. There is a lot of junk mail but also lots of what looks official and even a couple of parcels! It is Christmas I worry about as they were a Navy family and have lived lots of places so will probably get quite a few cards.

Luckily my dh works with one of our old neighbours so he has said he will bring in any stuff that PO misses, touch wood not been any so far aside from the first day I think! That assumes our buyer has passed it on, he may decide to hold my Damart catalogue to ransom
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

When we moved our seller asked us to keep any mail and he would collect it (I had mine redirected) he didn’t leave a forwarding address... first couple of times he came quite regularly then it started mounting up... he wouldn’t pay for the redirection (despite winning £7.8 million on the lottery)... I eventually just started putting it back in the post with a “not at this address message”... the jewellery and cruise brochures and stock and share letters eventually stopped after about 10 years...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater

Edited at 10:55 AM.
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
All I did was wait until I had about a dozen letters then band them together with the rubber bands the Postmen leave all over the place!

On the top visible letter I wrote 'moved to ****'

I did this for about a year then everything had stopped.

Not hard and took about 5 mins of my time a week.
This is what I would do. Really wouldn’t get wound up about it tbh.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

***Update***

Finally, almost 3 months after leaving this house the previous owners have set up a redirection so hopefully no more post for them. We have a post lady in a van and I saw her last week and she said she would sort it and looks like she has Although we have also had 2 Amazon deliveries for them, the first was in our letterbox the 2nd I refused to sign for!

Edited at 02:45 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

Don’t send it on just return it to sender. You will do yourself a favour this way otherwise it just continues. As long as you do it for free they will let you. Just return to sender them.
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Bladelia
Getting Excited

I don't understand why people keep mentioning the post office, it has nothing to do with them, Royal Mail do the redirections, we are 2 separate companies, just closely linked by a long term business agreement. As an aside I always deliver readdressed mail.
Bladelia is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List