Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Oct 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Chaz2210
Serious Dibber

1st trip planning advice please

I am in the very early stages of planning our first west coast trip for 2021, we are 2 adults and daughter who will be 12. Originally I was looking at july/Aug but now thinking possibly Easter, which would be better? I am looking at around 18/19 nights roughly as follows

Flying London to Vegas
Vegas for 2 or 3 nights
Flying Vegas to San Fran
San Fran for 2 or 3 nights to include a trip to Alcatraz
Flying San Fran to L.A. read on here I should look at sna airport?
4 nights in Anaheim for Disney
2 nights la for studio tour and currently daughter is adamant she wants to do a stars homes tour
Fly lax to Cancun for 7 nights to relax
Flying Cancun to London

What do you think? Am I being realistic? I know there are so many things we could do but as a first trip I've tried to pick the most important ones on our list, we tried to cram too much into our first Orlando trip and were exhausted by the time we came home

Hoping to come in under £7000, again is that realistic?

DLP Newport Bay Hotel Nov 2012, Florida Terra Verde April 2014, DLP Christmas 2015 Explorers Hotel, DLP Kyriad Aug 2016, DLP Hotel Cheyenne Birthday Trip Oct 2016, Florida Regal Palms May 2018, Xmas 2020 DLP - postponed to April 2021- postponed to Oct 2021, West Coast 40th Birthday Trip August 2021- postponed to August 2022, DLP Christmas 2023 Cheyenne
Chaz2210 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I’d say, having just got back from California, that the stars home tour is a complete waste of time and money. All you see are gates! I’d go for Universal or Warner Bros instead. Other than that I’d say doable.
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi yes doable but you are flying over what most people consider the reason for going.yosemite,montrey ,Carmel,PCH etc
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
pjay
Trying for More Ears

I’m also planning my first road trip so not much practical help but from what I’ve learned from others I’d suggest taking 2/3 days to drive from San Fran and reduce your LA and/or Anaheim time. We’re only doing 2 days at Disney as that should be enough time to do both the parks.
pjay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Chaz2210
Serious Dibber

Thanks for the info and advice, Disney is a huge part of the trip for me and daughter so reducing time there is not an option, it’s unlikely we will get to do it again for a long time so we want to enjoy it and not feel rushed. The stars homes is not something me or hubby are fussed on so maybe I can persuade her with something else.
From what I’ve read Yosemite Monterey etc need far more time than we have available, neither were on our radar initially so I’ve left them out.

DLP Newport Bay Hotel Nov 2012, Florida Terra Verde April 2014, DLP Christmas 2015 Explorers Hotel, DLP Kyriad Aug 2016, DLP Hotel Cheyenne Birthday Trip Oct 2016, Florida Regal Palms May 2018, Xmas 2020 DLP - postponed to April 2021- postponed to Oct 2021, West Coast 40th Birthday Trip August 2021- postponed to August 2022, DLP Christmas 2023 Cheyenne
Chaz2210 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

What is the reason for Cancun?

Maybe miss Yosemite but take 3 days for doing Pacific Coast highway, with the last night of that staying in Santa Barbara. You could then do a drive into LA in the morning and a stars tour in the afternoon, heading to Anaheim from there. Will gain you some time back.

The rather than Cancun, go down to San Diego and spend the best part of a week there relaxing, driving back up to LAX for the flight home. SD is a very relaxing city with plenty to do as well with a nice climate.

I would want 3 nights in both Vegas and San Francisco.

Really depends on whether scenery is your thing as to whether PCH is worth doing. And how much time you give to it. I wouldn't bother with things like the aquarium in Monterrey as it's a waste of money (plenty of aquariums across the world including the UK), and giving the lack of time I wouldn't do 17 mile drive either (nice scenery but you will get that on the normal road anyway). Whale watching is worth it if nature is of interest.

Edited at 02:28 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Chaz2210
Serious Dibber

Cancun was because it seems to be an easy destination to get to from la and gives us a week all inc at the beach to totally relax, both times we have been to Florida we came home exhausted feeling like we need a holiday to recover.
I’ve just been having at look at San Diego and it seems like there are some amazing places there to consider, we don’t need it to be all inclusive just relaxing by the beach. So I am open to suggestions, are there particular places anyone can recommend I look at to give us our week by the beach in San Diego?

Edited at 06:39 PM.