Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Any Electricians? Light Switch Advice

I want to replace old fashioned light switches in my house. In our hall we have a double light switch downstairs that controls the lights upstairs and downstairs, then upstairs we have a single switch each end of our hall that controls the upstairs lights. I am confused what switch we need. Would it be a 2 gang 2 way and 2 x 1 gang 2 ways switches? Or a 1 gang intermediate switch? Grateful for any advise
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

if you are unsure please get some professional help.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

For downstairs you require a 2 gang 2 way switch. A two way switch can be wired as a one way switch (but a one way switch can't be wired as a 2 way switch).

If both one gang switches upstairs operate the one light on the landing along with the downstairs switch (so 3 switches control one light) then 2 switches are 2 way and the other is an intermediate switch.

I never recommend people do this themselves for the main reason being they could potentially electrocute themeselves (or other others), and often they will mess the lights up. I would usually charge one hour's labour to do this (plus the cost of the switches if the customer doesn't supply them).

In some switches they will be 5 wires (plus an earth), and it can be easy to incorrectly wire them (I get lots of job where customers often do).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
For downstairs you require a 2 gang 2 way switch. A two way switch can be wired as a one way switch (but a one way switch can't be wired as a 2 way switch).

If both one gang switches upstairs operate the one light on the landing along with the downstairs switch (so 3 switches control one light) then 2 switches are 2 way and the other is an intermediate switch.

I never recommend people do this themselves for the main reason being they could potentially electrocute themeselves (or other others), and often they will mess the lights up. I would usually charge one hour's labour to do this (plus the cost of the switches if the customer doesn't supply them).

In some switches they will be 5 wires (plus an earth), and it can be easy to incorrectly wire them (I get lots of job where customers often do).
Thank you so much, the switches are what I thought we needed. I will ask the electrician to fit them then, but at least I can get an idea of what we need
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Rding
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post

Yeah you normally get the call on a weekend when diy man/woman takes down a light fitting but can't get the lights back working due to mixing up SW and feeds😆
Rding is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I thought in the UK it was only the neutral that fed the switches to avoid being electrocuted. I enjoyed doing the multiple switches when working as a spark.

Old 14 Nov 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jas72 View Post
I thought in the UK it was only the neutral that fed the switches to avoid being electrocuted. I enjoyed doing the multiple switches when working as a spark.
No it's always the line conductor. Contrary to what many think, the neutral conductor is also a 'live' conductor.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List