Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Nov 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Ideally we’d live in the SW of Ireland, near to Tralee. However, the uncertainty over Brexit and pension transfer rights has made that too hard for us to plan. We are now looking around Dumfries in Scotland.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
Swansea, close to the M4 to get places, beautiful area around Gower beautiful beaches,
but you will have to put up with a bit of rain

Locals call it the Graveyard, cos once you move here you don't leave
A bit of rain is an understatement 😂 but it is a beautiful area to live
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 19, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

What about Norfolk? Every time I’ve been to that part of the world, the weather has been beautiful. Then again, it rains permanently where I live.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Is there any ideas outside of the UK?
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Is there any ideas outside of the UK?
given your criteria, spain

one of the costas for English speaking decent health service, no tigers or hurricanes

HTH
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve just emigrated to Queensland! I recommend it so far
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Cornwall takes a lot of beating. I moved here 30 years ago as I left the Army, mainly because I had/have relatives around Falmouth and had never lived anywhere for more than 3 years in my life (Dad had been RAF). I have never regretted it.

Advantages.
The weather is mild and sometimes damp. It very rarely freezes, maybe a week every year.

We get snow settling about once every 5 years.

We have some of the most beautiful coastline and scenery in Europe.

We are not greatly overpopulated.

We are a low crime area (other than some socially deprived enclaves) and have none of the social tensions affecting some other areas of the UK.

We have the Sea, boats, activities etc. You cannot live more than around 14 miles from it.. and only then if you try.

Disadvantages.

The average wage is low and a lot of work seasonal. ( I don’t know what you do).

House prices are high everywhere due to the invasion of retirees, second home owners, etc. Don’t expect a cottage that can see the sea for less than 450k

Transport links Can be poor with civilisation. We have two roads and they can block with emits in the Summer months, who eat all our Pasties and Cream Teas.

The airport (Newquay), is limited and it’s main operator (Flybe), has become expensive since BA bought them out.

You are (Falmouth) in a town where the high street is nearly dead, Truro is 10 miles away, Plymouth 55, Exeter 105 and wider civilisation.. past Plymouth.

The big issue is employment. As I said, I don’t know what you do and what your wage expectations are. I have always had work.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:48 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, I lived in Gibraltar for 3 years and have been back for holidays, it is a bit of home from home, beautiful weather and a very low crime rate. Use good old English pounds and very low taxes.
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
bigbaggy
Earning My Ears

Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
These 2 go together. One reason i found it hard was due to how laid back it could be. You want anything doing, well be prepared to wait and chase and wait. Along with this was the lack of ability for anyone to say no.
So this caused massive issues building a house and being in it by the agreed date (and end of our rental house). 3 weeks prior to move date and we were still being told, yes it will be ready, while standing in a house with no internal walls, no electrics and no plumbing.
I think my stress levels during this time just ruined the future there.

Still love to visit the ROI but then Im in that laid back, no rush mode as well which helps.

To add to Bigbaggy. Crime rate in ROI cities is higher than you realise and we were surprised. There are a lot of gang and crime issues in the cities, just like any UK city.

And then there is the stretching of the laws. Our neighbour drove alone on L plates. When we pointed out that shouldnt they be with a qualified driver, they just said 'Its a grey area here'. This was extremely common.

I think the biggest problem was that I lived there just after the introduction of the Euro. It was unbelievable how badly they were being ripped off by the introduction of the Euro and how prices increased. I think everyone was doing monthly trips to NI for bulk buying.
you are right about crime any city or big town as a lot of crime don't matter where you go in the world. where I was living you had more chance of a cow getting in your garden as being robbed lol
bigbaggy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
DS lives on the Isle of Arran - great community feeling, lots of events etc, crime rate negligible, kids can roam freely, beautiful island with plenty of great places to eat and visit - but the only 'proper' shops are Co ops though there are lots of small lovely local shops, 2 distilleries, a brewery, chocolatier, cheese maker, a spa resort ...
The main thing that would put us off retiring there is lack of a hospital (as we get older), although there's an urgent care centre and a helicopter
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List