Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Forwarding Mail

How long would you continue writing the new address on mail for?

The elderly couple have not set up a redirection for their mail and it has been almost a month now. I'm thinking while I'm continuing to forward all the stuff we receive, even junk mail they won't bother but to be honest it is as easy to write the address as gone away. I'm dreading Christmas though as sure there will be loads! Do you think a note on one of the pieces saying could they set one up would be rude?

BTW we set ours up despite it costing £100 for the year for the 4 of us! No way we wanted our buyers to get our mail, even junk!
Old 12 Nov 19, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

I would write them a note, with details of the post office redirection service, and ask them to select whichever option they think is best. Tell them you're going away for a month and won't be able to do it any more!
TheHughesCrew is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Is it being delivered to their new address when you forward it on? Do the Post Office do that or would they charge extra postage for redelivering? I would have thought the PO would have sent them a card to collect post and they have to pay the fee to pick it up. I am just thinking that if it is still happening after a month they might not have been bothering to pick it up so may not see a note regarding paying for the redirection service. Its a pain I bet having to resend it on all the time.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Is it being delivered to their new address when you forward it on? Do the Post Office do that or would they charge extra postage for redelivering? I would have thought the PO would have sent them a card to collect post and they have to pay the fee to pick it up. I am just thinking that if it is still happening after a month they might not have been bothering to pick it up so may not see a note regarding paying for the redirection service. Its a pain I bet having to resend it on all the time.
Not so much the writing being a pain but I think I have a load of post and then its not for me

Not sure what is happening, I'm writing their new address on and putting it back in the box. Our redirected stuff comes either in a bag or has a sticker on it with the new address.
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Oh dear, I think you will need to say you can continue doing so until say the end of the month but after then they will need to pay for a redirection or you will have to return to sender.

They really should have set up a redirection from day 1...

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
If they haven't put a redirect on then they aren't bothered about having it I would 'return to sender' then most of it won't be sent again. You could just throw it int he recycling but that won't stop more arriving.
I think there's something you can get the PO to do that says 'do not deliver letters for X to this address' sort of the opposite of redirection
FlorayG is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
They clearly don't care, so why should you be bothering to do this?

I'd speak to the PO.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
All I did was wait until I had about a dozen letters then band them together with the rubber bands the Postmen leave all over the place!

On the top visible letter I wrote 'moved to ****'

I did this for about a year then everything had stopped.

Not hard and took about 5 mins of my time a week.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Junkmail, just put gone away and stick back in the post. Don't forget it can take companies ages to stop sending post even if you do this though. I'd do the same with other post as well unless it looked important in which case I would put the new address on and stick it back in a post box.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

They should have set up redirection before they left. It takes 5 mins. to set up (they can phone) and it starts in a couple of days.

I would give them a week then start binning the mail.

We set it up for a year a few days before moving.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List