Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Nov 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Puddle5 View Post
Your mother should be having a continence assessment carried out by the district nurses if she has a medical issue causing continence issues and pads will then be supplied. DN will then order the correct pads/ put you in touch with their supplier and they are then delivered on a regular basis. They usually only provide pads and some people prefer the pants type pads which you would need to buy
Speaking as a district nurse, we do NOT do continence assessments in our area at all. Its 100% down to the continence team, who we refer to. GPs and any other allied healthcare professionals can also refer. Not all areas are the same x

(Also, DNs only visit housebound patients in our area, continence team will visit housebound AND ambulent)
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
Speaking as a district nurse, we do NOT do continence assessments in our area at all. Its 100% down to the continence team, who we refer to. GPs and any other allied healthcare professionals can also refer. Not all areas are the same x

(Also, DNs only visit housebound patients in our area, continence team will visit housebound AND ambulent)
Sorry- obviously does vary area to area. In ours our first contact is the DN, so many different services depending where you live!
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by TheHughesCrew View Post
Gosh. Must be so hard for you, being so far away. But. Just to reassure you, her GP WILL be able to refer to the continence team, and they DO supply free pads. Albeit usually 3 months at a time. I would push for a visit to a different GP or even the practice nurse who may be able to help.

But, in the mean time, hopefully you have some good options to explore here x
My mum had the pads supplied in a certain London Borough but when she moved in with me in an Outer London Borough, I was told by the district nurse in our surgery when I registered her with my doctor that they did not supply them for free and I would have to source them myself.

She is now in a care home in my borough and she gets them for free. Although they can be like gold dust to get them from the staff.
Macca04 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

My mum had this and her Doctor would not supply them
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d make enquiries to see if there is a continence team. In our area you need an assessment by them and it’s not the GP or district nurse
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

nhs.uk/common-health-que...ts-on-the-nhs/
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Thanks everyone xx
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ILoveDaveLamb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Macca04 View Post
My mum had the pads supplied in a certain London Borough but when she moved in with me in an Outer London Borough, I was told by the district nurse in our surgery when I registered her with my doctor that they did not supply them for free and I would have to source them myself.

She is now in a care home in my borough and she gets them for free. Although they can be like gold dust to get them from the staff.
Hope your Mum is getting good care in the care home. Xx
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

My late father and late MIL both needed some help.

My dad was given some pads (looked like really thick sanitary pads) they were awful, he had dementia and pulled them out all the time.
Bought his from Boots, had them delivered direct to their house.

My late MIL had the Tena ladies pants, they are always on offer from Boots, they look like ladies pants (so a little dignity was retained)
Again delivered to her home, free delivery. So no need to lug them about.

Not forgetting you also qualify for Boots points, so a little treat could be got from the points for her.
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ILoveDaveLamb View Post
Hope your Mum is getting good care in the care home. Xx
Yes she is thanks, 94 years young and luckily no dementia. Not ideal as like all her generation exceptionally independent, unfortunately couldn’t cope on her own.

The care home staff are all really nice and she is well looked after.
Macca04 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List