Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Oct 19, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I'd recommend an Ibiza or a Leon, basically a VW/Audi for much less dough.
I have a Leon and love it
Old 10 Oct 19, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

If hills are a 'problem' then a turbo charged car will keep the pace, which brings you back to the Ford EcoBoost engines. The 1.0 turbos are really very perky and swift. A bit generic, but gives you plenty of scope to find a decent one.
Two things to mention, be careful looking at this bracket of car as they are town cars and possibly driven up kerbs, in to bollards and generally abused! Low mileage is not always a good thing on a car that's only gone to Tesco and back, don't be put off by mileage. It's better to have a car that has been warmed up and used rather than a 2 mile journey each time.
Also, if you do look at the EcoBoost Fiesta, check that the coolant pipe has been replaced under warranty - if I recall correctly cars around the 2015 vintage had issues where a coolant pipe running above the exhaust goes brittle and can leak / fail (Google it for sanity) but don't let that put you off as they are cracking little cars.
If you do the mileage a diesel might be worth a look i.e. turbo diesel for the extra oomph for your hills.

Edited at 01:18 PM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
I'd recommend an Ibiza or a Leon, basically a VW/Audi for much less dough.
I have a Leon and love it
That's what my dad told us when we bought our first car- buy a Seat or a Skoda, its a VW with a different shell on top! We love our turbo Leon, DH calls it a 'warm hatch' like it's almost a hot hatch haha.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Have you thought about a 5 door smart car? I’m not sure what engine size they come in though. My mil loves her one and its smaller than most small cars.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Have you thought about a 5 door smart car? I’m not sure what engine size they come in though. My mil loves her one and its smaller than most small cars.
Funky little cars but mechanically very fragile - very sensitive to oil levels and the engines have a habit of self destructing. Just saying
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Never even thought to look at Mazda. Thanks.
i also have a mazda (the larger 6 estate)... but would happily buy a 2 or 3 if i needed something smaller. i've had a 2 as a loaner for a couple of weeks and it is just as nice to drive. the only reason i didnt get a 3 last time was because they stopped doing the hatchback version (which they have since reintroduced)

this is my second mazda... both have been by far the most reliable cars i have ever had. the first one only got replaced because of rust issues on the fuel tank (and other rust, but the car was 15+ years old by then)... the engine/etc would have easily gone on for another 100000 miles

i still keep hoping they will knock out an electric version of the 2 soon, although an EV mx5/rx8 would be good too, and that looks more likely
wanye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Stew_the_red
slightly serious Dibber

Mrs The Red has a little Audi A1, she picked it up and probably does about 60 miles a week in it as we use my car as the main car.

good on insurance, fuel and a comfortable drive, shes got the S - Line so its got the sport mode and a few of the mod cons, a lovely car
Stew_the_red is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Funky little cars but mechanically very fragile - very sensitive to oil levels and the engines have a habit of self destructing. Just saying
Oh wow never knew! My mil has only had hers a couple of months.

Maybe ignore my suggestion then! 😂
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Don’t buy a BMW 1 series if you live in the Pennine hills. They are rear wheel drive and hopeless in ice and snow
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

Some good recomendations.
Firstly there are no bad cars about these days.
For me
140 bhp version of Fiesta eco boost.
VW up turbo s
and of course the best driving small car in the world.
Mazda MX5 ( without spending silly money)
OP without a budget hard to make a definitive decision.
Happy hunting.