Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Oct 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Some good recomendations.
Firstly there are no bad cars about these days.
For me
140 bhp version of Fiesta eco boost.
VW up turbo s
and of course the best driving small car in the world.
Mazda MX5 ( without spending silly money)
OP without a budget hard to make a definitive decision.
Happy hunting.
Thanks. Probably looking to spend about 10k on a used car that’s a couple of years old. Don’t want to spend much more than that as the Kuga will probably need replacing in a couple of years and that will cost a fair bit more.

👍🏻
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Don’t buy a BMW 1 series if you live in the Pennine hills. They are rear wheel drive and hopeless in ice and snow
Yes! I’ve remembered seeing some people struggling to drive in the snow in their BMWs and me sailing past in my old Peugeot 206. ☺️ That was a great little car in the snow. Never let me down.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
Some good recomendations.
Firstly there are no bad cars about these days.
For me
140 bhp version of Fiesta eco boost.
VW up turbo s
and of course the best driving small car in the world.
Mazda MX5 ( without spending silly money)
OP without a budget hard to make a definitive decision.
Happy hunting.
Fiesta and UP are a good shout. Whilst the MX5 may appeal, they are rear wheel drive therefore they are not winter friendly!
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
If hills are a 'problem' then a turbo charged car will keep the pace, which brings you back to the Ford EcoBoost engines. The 1.0 turbos are really very perky and swift. A bit generic, but gives you plenty of scope to find a decent one.
Two things to mention, be careful looking at this bracket of car as they are town cars and possibly driven up kerbs, in to bollards and generally abused! Low mileage is not always a good thing on a car that's only gone to Tesco and back, don't be put off by mileage. It's better to have a car that has been warmed up and used rather than a 2 mile journey each time.
Also, if you do look at the EcoBoost Fiesta, check that the coolant pipe has been replaced under warranty - if I recall correctly cars around the 2015 vintage had issues where a coolant pipe running above the exhaust goes brittle and can leak / fail (Google it for sanity) but don't let that put you off as they are cracking little cars.
If you do the mileage a diesel might be worth a look i.e. turbo diesel for the extra oomph for your hills.
Thanks. That’s a lot of good advice. I’m trying to avoid diesels as the Kuga is a diesel and I’m forever in the garage putting fuel in. We don’t do long enough journeys. I’ll keep in mind about the fiestas. Think DH wants at least a 2016 so hopefully that problem was resolved by then!
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Have a look for a pre-reg car you can often get some great deals and they've never been used
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Have a look for a pre-reg car you can often get some great deals and they've never been used
Where do I look? Thanks. 🙏🏻
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

My partner has a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2016 titanium with nav and it copes well as a daily driver.£0 car tax . I had a focus 1.0 ecoboost for nearly 5 years with no issues. I've now got a Mondeo but prefer to use the fiesta when I can.
Oh, by the way , I'm a ford technician so if I've got 2 on the drive they must be not bad to have. And daughter got fiesta too.

Edited at 08:50 PM.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Trusty ian View Post
My partner has a fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2016 titanium with nav and it copes well as a daily driver.£0 car tax . I had a focus 1.0 ecoboost for nearly 5 years with no issues. I've now got a Mondeo but prefer to use the fiesta when I can.
Oh, by the way , I'm a ford technician so if I've got 2 on the drive they must be not bad to have. And daughter got fiesta too.
Thanks. Seems there’s a lot of love for the Fiesta. I do love my Kuga so maybe a Fiesta is the way to go.☺️
Old 10 Oct 19, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

I would go for one up to end march 2017, car tax changed after that. Went from £0 to £130 I think. I'm just tight that way. My 2.0 Mondeo is only £20 a year.
As for the comment about brittle pipes, that was the focus 1.0 from 2012-2015.
Also the fiesta came in 100hp, 125hp and 140hp . Personally I would go for the 125hp titanium. The 140hp was in zetec s and st line trim level.
Depending on how you drive and roads the economy can be anything from 45mpg to 60mpg. We get around 50-52 mpg mixed driving .
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Take your time as there’s plenty out there to choose from. Check the history too and ask plenty of questions. Many may have been ex-lease cars so maybe one owner but the owner could have been Europcar for example and whilst they may look shiny and clean they will have been expertly cleaned and prepared. 1 owner but hundreds of drivers! Check and ask who the previous owner was. The V5 no longer shows it due to stupid GDPR rules. Don’t get dragged into giddy PCP schemes either. They look tempting but remember that you never own the car you are effectively long term renting it!
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List