Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Solo trip 2019 - travel day

My first ever solo trip so I'm going to post thoughts and feelings as well as information. I didn't take many pictures at all but I do keep a detailed diary so am writing this up after the trip with reference to that.

I got a taxi to the airport (£140 return)because what with parking charges (£90) and the stress of driving - especially coming back - I've counted it as part of my holiday expenses. Mark the taxi driver knows me anyway as he lives in my street. Got to Bristol before check in was open for my flight to Dublin and I already felt very conspicuous as I was the only person with Mickey Mouse clothes and luggage in the whole airport, everyone else looked very soberly dressed
I was rather stressed about changing 'planes - I hate travelling by train if I have to change - so was trying to compose myself with a cuppa. Costa coffee may be Mickey House's favourite tipple but their tea is dire.

I had an empty seat next to me on the first flight - only about 25 people on the 'plane.

In Dublin I had 90 minutes. There were only two people from my flight transferring so I had most of that part of the airport to myself. I got picked for extra screening and had the wand thing all over my clothes and bags but still was through pre-clearance (that took no more than a minute) and sitting at the gate with 30 minutes to spare.
Interesting that they ask "are you taking food, dairy, meat etc. into the USA?" as usual and I thought "No, but I do have my sandwiches to eat on board". I didn't mention them in case they confiscated them but I did think this is a glitch in the pre-clearance as you're usually asked this prior to landing.
So pleased to see loads of Disney-fied people in the line for this flight! Now I was starting to feel more at home!

Orlando flight took off 30 minutes late but still arrived an hour early due to strong tailwind so that was great. I was sat next to an American lady on her way home and she was very friendly but slept most of the way so I could read and watch films.(Lady and the Tramp and Lego Movie2) sound quality very poor on the provided headphones though - take your own.

Arrival in MCO got my bag and straight out, on the Magical Express to Caribbean Beach. I was in Jamaica block on the other side of the lake but could have been a lot further from Port Royal so no complaints. I grabbed a beer and some cheese and crackers to eat before dropping in to bed and sleeping in seconds.

Edited at 12:51 PM.
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
FLAFantastic
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Sounds like a good travel day

Looking forward to hearing more of your solo trip

Did you go to Universal?

AnnMarie x
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
no, the whole two weeks were Disney only. I did sort of plan to go offsite but...you'll see
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

So there was no problems taking sandwiches in your hand luggage for the flight? I'd probably act like a major drug dealer if I tried to smuggle sandwiches through!
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great travel day

Joan
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Rik666 View Post
So there was no problems taking sandwiches in your hand luggage for the flight? I'd probably act like a major drug dealer if I tried to smuggle sandwiches through!
Well I did say to the immigration officer "Am I officially in the USA now?" and he said "No" so I figured the sandwiches were still in Ireland
Old 8 Oct 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rik666
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
Well I did say to the immigration officer "Am I officially in the USA now?" and he said "No" so I figured the sandwiches were still in Ireland
Excellent, still don't think I'll try it tho!
Rik666 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Great travel day. We are flying via Dublin for the first time in February, will remember ear phones but sack the sandwich 😂😂
Old 23 Oct 19, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Oh fab travel day! Looking forward to catching up and getting inspired for my coming solo trip
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Oct 19, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely to get off the plane and walk out in Orlando! Sounds a good travel day💕
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List