Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Apr 19, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Rockycat
Excited about Disney

I completely agree that everyone needs to be aware of climate change and what we can do to improve things. However... I don't understand what these people are hoping to gain from this protest, I have watched a couple of interviews and they don't seem to have a clear plan of What they want from this. I would like to know if they all walked there as otherwise they have used public transport to get there so why disrupt it for others? Surely it Is better for the environment to use public transport than individual vehicles?
As said in a previous post it this was football fans ect it this would be a different story, they would have been moved by any means possible regardless of the cause they are protesting about, how is this any different.
A peaceful protest should not be disrupting people's lives! They are causing more pollution by clogging up the streets of London with more traffic jams and are losing the impact of their message by doing this.
Rockycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Johnnyp
Imagineer

Johnnyp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Get the French or Spanish police over.

Smashing heads rather than dancing with them like our do nothings because the law is a joke.
Johnnyp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
These 'people' have come from all over the UK. Assume they all walked!

Emma Thompson joined them yesterday. She didn't walk. She FLEW in from LA. Didn't these 'people' say they wanted air travel banned!

As many have said the schools, colleges and universities return next week so the vast majority will have to leave. If they are not working and claiming benefits they should lose them!

Really hope the authorities get names and addresses and then billed them for the damage and clearing up of their rubbish!

Stopping law abiding people from going about their business is a disgrace.

They are very lucky that police are treating them with respect. Many other countries would not be so soft!

As for the apparent protest at Heathrow, I assume they are either walking or travelling by bike

Edited at 07:43 AM.
TractorBoy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I'm travelling home to Corfu on Monday, not flying from Heathrow but will be on a coach that has a connection at Heathrow to take me to Gatwick.

I've got 5 hours between getting to Gatwick to my flight taking off so should be ok...
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Johnnyp View Post
Get the French or Spanish police over.

Smashing heads rather than dancing with them like our do nothings because the law is a joke.
I found that disgraceful , watching policemen larking around laughing and dancing with the protesters while they are disrupting the lives of law abiding citizens , they are there to do their duty not to encourage them .
Bring out the firemen and turn the hoses on the protesters , see how they like disruption .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
I found that disgraceful , watching policemen larking around laughing and dancing with the protesters while they are disrupting the lives of law abiding citizens , they are there to do their duty not to encourage them .
Bring out the firemen and turn the hoses on the protesters , see how they like disruption .
Be careful with the water hoses. Many of them probably haven't had a decent wash for a while!
Old 19 Apr 19, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I saw quite a few of them arrested were ‘carers’, who are they caring for when they are glued to each other? Maybe the person they were glued to?

Seriously climate change is serious, but this is likely to have the opposite effect of encouraging change with Jo public. Students going on ‘strike’, come on!

What we need is better tax incentives to encourage the use of new technologies, and also for start up businesses in this area.

We in the U.K. are rapidly moving towards renewable energy. The tech is improving all the time, I have a fully electric car and it’s amazing.

Air travel you have to be realistic, that cannot stop.
Old 20 Apr 19, 01:30 AM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

I agree with their message.

I don't agree with their execution.
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 02:35 AM  
Link to this Post
lyn1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
Also add a dye to the water that won't wash off for a while.

Edited at 02:40 AM.
lyn1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We do have a conundrum on this site - the needs of the planet, climate change v. our desire to travel by air.

The London protests are trying to raise awareness of climate change, to put it in the forefront of people's minds, to make people want to make changes.

No one wants to change, but we have to. Standing waving placards peacefully in a park has no effect on anybody, so in this media fed frenzy of life nowadays people with a cause are escalating their action merely in order to be noticed.

I hate that, I hate that they are destroying people's dreams - taking their one holiday a year and disrupting things so much they cannot get away. But I understand their reason for doing so.

Travel by air is often NEVER even an option for many, many people (most people on this planet have never flown), often once or twice a year for those who can afford foreign holidays, but it often dominates the emission profiles of the globally privileged few who can afford it, who use a private plane like a bus.

We all need to look at our own emission profiles - and these protests have hopefully made people at least start to do that - epecially now those like David Attenborough are on board - or have we reached "peak Attenborough".

We seem to be looking for bigger and better experiences, further from home, using all these resources, as well as outsourcing all our own pollution to places like India/China/Thailand etc - using their coal powered factories to manufacture our "stuff", sending our waste to be sorted/burned/buried in their countries whilst claiming the moral high ground.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List