Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Apr 19, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Disability and other people's perception

Just seen a very brief article on how disability is perceived by others and how it can impact your life on BBBC Scotland.

Is this an issue for any Dibbers?

IGNORED
I was in plaster toe to knee and my husband was pushing me in a wheelchair around the local shopping centre. I am a danger to all in a scooter!

Young shop assistant only spoke to my husband when paying for our shopping and referred to me as "she."

Had to check my head was not in plaster too.

DISMISSED
Nursery mum did not speak to me in two years. Never acknowledged me holding the door for her, looked at me with disdain when I spoke to her children. People like this annoy me, so I am pointedly nice.

A nursery teacher told me said mother thought I was a drug addict because I looked drawn and grey, particularly in the mornings and I did not walk straight. The mother did not change her attitude when informed I am not a drug addict but was unwell. I was in a lot of pain as I was awaiting surgery.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and my movements are rather awkward so people do give me funny looks at times. The above just blatantly jump to the wrong conclusion.

Anyone else have fun experiences?
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Soooo many.
I have fibromyalgia anf sponylosis.
I need a wheelchair but alsi need to walk (i know its wierd). I constantly get accused of faking because i "can" walk.
No i NEED to walk or spasms are worse.
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have osteoarthritis in a few joints and Im currently recovering from fusion so have an air boot but next week hopefully the boot will be gone. No way will I be recovered though and have another 6-12 months recovery. I’m amazed how many times if been kicked or stood on on the occasions I’ve got out due to idiots on their phones . Dreading losing the boot for this reason . I’ve also been huffed from people behind me at for walking slow ! It’s Opened me eyes for sure . I’m also convinced some work colleagues think I’m putting it on ! Yeah cos I really wanted have my foot dismantleing and screws putting in it for a Laugh 😡
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I don’t treat people any different maybe because my mum was crippled with arthritis in her later years. Nurses used to come visit my mum and talk to us, we told them talk to her she know what she wants. When she was dying in hospital they tried talking to my brother about treatment, he said talk to her not me! She told them what she wanted which was no more tests or being pulled about.
Old 14 Apr 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

When my dad was terminally ill with cancer, he was verbally abused and accused of being a drunk. I’ll never forget how upset he was at the thoughtless comment of some stranger who didn’t even need to pass judgment.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Sadly a friends adult children have Huntingdon's Chorea as did her husband. The times they were/are accused of being drunk is amazing.
Old 14 Apr 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have Crohn’s disease. Try asking if you can jump the queues in a toilet or asking a shop if you can quickly use a toilet. Despite having a special card stating my issue.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Not me but my dad is blind and it upsets him when people ask the person he is with questions like “will he like potatoes or fries with his meal”. Just because he can’t see they seem to think he is also deaf or incapable of understanding a simple question.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
traleegirl
Apprentice Imagineer

My husband getting abused for parking his Porsche in a disabled bay... they are suitably shamed when he asks if they can help him get his wheelchair out of the boot 😁
He fell off a cliff many years ago and mangled both his legs, he overcame many hurdles and returned to work, where he has done incredibly well, but for some reason in this country all disabled people are presumed to be on benefits so can’t possibly afford a Porsche. 😡
Actually we had to fight for his Blue Badge because he wasn’t claiming disability benefit, if he had he would have received it automatically (but that’s a different thread for another day)
traleegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 19, 05:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scojos View Post
Soooo many.
I have fibromyalgia anf sponylosis.
I need a wheelchair but alsi need to walk (i know its wierd). I constantly get accused of faking because i "can" walk.
No i NEED to walk or spasms are worse.
I have joint hypermobility and this is EXACTLY me. I go between legs/crutches/wheelchair.

Get this every 3/4 months at work when a new intake comes in. I don’t look disabled until I am in agony.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List