Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Updating my watchlist:

Muppets Now looks to be releasing one episode at a time so that's ongoing. DW and I have started watching The Imagineering Story. DD and I will watch Black is King, the Beyonce visual album project thing.

Aside from this it's the newest films I haven't seen to go onto the list - Coco, Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4. For the sequels it's been years since I watched the earlier movies so I'll watch them all in order, roping in family members as and when they're interested:

Watchlist:

Muppets Now
Coco
The Incredibles
Incredibles 2
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Toy Story 4
The Imagineering Story
Black is King
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) 6 days of passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

This charging for Mulan is really poor. Netflix often spends $150m per series or per movie and has a constant stream of this stuff. Irishman cost $150m, Six Underground the same, the Crown is $130m every series etc. Disney is spending $1bn on original content- Netflix $17 bn! Yet Disney charges $30 to watch its $200m movie.
BTW I finally watched The Irishman, absolutely fantastic.
I do love Mandalorian though.

Edited at 08:30 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Yesterday, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
This charging for Mulan is really poor. Netflix often spends $150m per series or per movie and has a constant stream of this stuff. Irishman cost $150m, Six Underground the same, the Crown is $130m every series etc. Disney is spending $1bn on original content- Netflix $17 bn! Yet Disney charges $30 to watch its $200m movie.
BTW I finally watched The Irishman, absolutely fantastic.
I do love Mandalorian though.
Irishman is excellent, slow compared to most contemporary stuff but worth the time. Loved Ricky Gervais's gag at the Golden Globes "Leonardo DiCaprio attended the premiere, and by the end his date was too old for him."

Disney couldn't have imagined a worse global crisis than one which almost obliterated cinema trips, cruising and theme park visits in a single hit. It was fortuitous they had Disney+ ready in one way but I agree with you that paying £30 for a home watch of a cinematic release is a no go, can't see them making up for many >$1bn releases like this but guess they have to try.

Hopefully people stand firm and don't pay for it. But Pay per View boxing doesn't feel like good value (at similar prices), or the Premier League rights and people still pay those prices so who knows. Mind you Disney will need some amazing anti-counterfeiting technology if they want to sell more than one copy in Asia

Just finished re-watching The Incredibles. Review to follow tomorrow.
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) 6 days of passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Oh yay, Once Upon A Time is there now! Havenít seen it since Channel 5 dropped it.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old Today, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Oh yay, Once Upon A Time is there now! Havenít seen it since Channel 5 dropped it.
I'd never heard of that, looks like DD's sort of thing - I might make it through one episode, will recommend it to her thanks

Latest Watchlist:

In Progress
Muppets Now!
The Imagineering Story
Zenimation

Planned
Coco
Incredibles 2
Toy Story
Toy Story 2
Toy Story 3
Toy Story 4
Black is King
The Jungle Book (original animated version)
Lady and the Tramp (the new live action one)
Moana
Old Today, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
VIP Dibber

theCMG's Reviews
The Incredibles (review)

Iím going to level with everybody. I donít like Mr Incredible 😐 Granted; heís shown as being kind in this movie (helping out his insurance claimants) but heís also self-centred, egotistical, and clearly top heavy. His response to an irritating boss is to hospitalise himÖ Know that if Mr Incredible is your avatar I will judge you

Anyway this is a movie of two halves for me. Itís just shy of 2 hours long and most of the first hour is a snooze, 2/10 stuff in my book. Even the much vaunted Edna Mode sequences havenít aged well. An Anna Wintour haircut, silly accent and dialogue that wouldnít get near an episode of Absolutely Fabulous arenít doing it for me.

Happily it picks up around half way when the true hero of the story 😀 Elastigirl starts to get an equal share of the screen time, she rules. The last hour is a pretty good animated movie. The villain and his tricks are decent, the animation style looks good and the action sequences are solid. Overall I find this a confused effort by Pixarís high standards, it takes way too long to get going and also has about 3 endings (2 less than Lord of the Rings Return of the King so maybe it was an early 2000ís thing).

Disney+
Elastigirl and to a lesser extent the super-kids
Features cinemaís coolest hollowed out volcano lair
Samuel L Jacksonís Frozone
Strong action sequences in the second half
Premise of a nuclear family of superheroes is relatively novel

Disney-
Mr Incredible is not a protagonist I warm to
First half of the movie is as flabby as the above (before shaping up in the 2nd half)
Messy ending, mole creature?
A lot of the humour falls flat or hasnít aged well

Rating 5/10. Not Pixarís best for me but after a gap of almost 15 years and with Elastigirl apparently centre-stage in Incredibles 2 Iím optimistic ahead of watching that Iíll like it better.

Edited at 10:34 AM.