Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Aug 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Dog grooming home kits

Arrived home, to a rapturous reception by the dogs, husband pretty pleased too!

Meggy the border collie is a bit knotted as Husband not as good at brushing than I am. Knots mainly on the long hair under her belly and a knot each side around her ears.
She could do with a good bath as well!

Does anyone home groom and what do you use to get rid of knots, need something that’s safe to use. Tempted to cut out the knots as that seems easier for us both what would you recommend

Also, she would not tolerate a hairdryer BUT if I washed her and towelled her off could I leave her to dry au natural it is 40 degrees here during the day

Any advice grateful received. I can’t get her to a groomer because the nearest one is 90 minutes a way and I’m self isolating.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

We bought clippers at lockdown and have clipped our dog three times since. It works well hes very tolerant, doesnt have a knotty coat though just very thick.

He hates a bath but just stands looking sad rather than running away or growling. Always roles post bath so keep away from animal manure!

Glad you made it home mustbe wonderful to be back.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
We bought clippers at lockdown and have clipped our dog three times since. It works well hes very tolerant, doesnt have a knotty coat though just very thick.

He hates a bath but just stands looking sad rather than running away or growling. Always roles post bath so keep away from animal manure!

Glad you made it home mustbe wonderful to be back.
Thanks, in general her long hair is okay about five or six matted areas. Can I ask what make you ordered?
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I used to have a long hair chihuahua. If something’s used to get knots around his ears. I would always cut them out, rather than brush out as I know a knot in my hair hurts and therefore wouldn’t do that for a dog that doesn’t understand.

I never took him to the groomers. I always bathed him myself, towel dried him, then left the towel on the floor for him to rub himself on to dry on. We never had problems not blow drying even in winter.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
I used to have a long hair chihuahua. If something’s used to get knots around his ears. I would always cut them out, rather than brush out as I know a knot in my hair hurts and therefore wouldn’t do that for a dog that doesn’t understand.

I never took him to the groomers. I always bathed him myself, towel dried him, then left the towel on the floor for him to rub himself on to dry on. We never had problems not blow drying even in winter.
Trouble with meggy is she’s a wrigggler and scissors scare me near her skin which is why I opted for a trimmer

Great, I’ll wash here and leave her to drip dry!

Do you from proper to washing or after?
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I use the Pet Head products for my 2, they smell lovely, the dry shampoo that's blueberry muffin flavour is a big fave of mine.

Other than that it's just brushing them out, trimming paw fur and any other areas that may need a little more attention - our younger dogs gets clumps of fur behind her ears that need cutting out.

I do have one of those combs (Furminator) for removing the undercoat, but they're breed specific and I don't use it often as brushes and combs seem so much kinder.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 06:19 PM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
TinksandFlynn
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We have a golden retriever and the hair was driving me crazy so we have just bought some dog clippers on Friday. We have tried dog groomers but she got too stressed going there and hated it. We managed to start slowly but still got a huge pile off her. Will repeat it next week and just get her used to it. So far I’m very impressed with the clippers and wished we got them sooner. We got the Wahl Super groom premium clippers as these suited her coat the best
TinksandFlynn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Getting matts wet is supposed to make them even tighter so if possible, do the grooming/cutting/clipping before giving Meggy a bath.

Debra
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Mobile

Use a metal comb, or a furminator
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I use the Pet Head products for my 2, they smell lovely, the dry shampoo that's blueberry muffin flavour is a big fave of mine.

Other than that it's just brushing them out, trimming paw fur and any other areas that may need a little more attention - our younger dogs gets clumps of fur behind her ears that need cutting out.

I do have one of those combs (Furminator) for removing the undercoat, but they're breed specific and I don't use it often as brushes and combs seem so much kinder.
Yes I have a furminator but it feels harsh and I worry about it cutting as opposed to brushing

Originally Posted by TinksandFlynn View Post
We have a golden retriever and the hair was driving me crazy so we have just bought some dog clippers on Friday. We have tried dog groomers but she got too stressed going there and hated it. We managed to start slowly but still got a huge pile off her. Will repeat it next week and just get her used to it. So far I’m very impressed with the clippers and wished we got them sooner. We got the Wahl Super groom premium clippers as these suited her coat the best
Thanks I’ll look that up

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
Getting matts wet is supposed to make them even tighter so if possible, do the grooming/cutting/clipping before giving Meggy a bath.

Debra
Great tip. Many thanks

Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
Use a metal comb, or a furminator
I’ll revisit my furminator M